Skip to content

Stockdale

Comments

• He had a brother who had one leg noticeably shorter than the other. He played in goal for, I think, Slough Town.

He would have been good for one half at Loakes Park.

• His looks belied him in that respect. Not the tallest of ‘keepers and of relatively slight stature, his blond hair and boyish features might have led folk (and opposition players) to underestimate how tough and fearless he was.

To anyone who is too young to have seen him play or, like me, didn’t attend that epic fifth round FA Cup replay against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park, Martin’s Wikipedia entry is almost entirely devoted to his six years at Adams Park. I’m sure there is a video somewhere showing that remarkable match at Selhurst Park or at least edited highlights.

• Exactly ! I thought of that during the night and had intended to add a postscript this morning but more important life events got in the way. He wouldn’t half have hobbled in the other half though.

• With all due respect mr Micra, Martin Taylor’s physique was never relatively slight, though agree he wasn’t the tallest. He was as you recall, often teased by away fans for being a little on the tubby side, and he features strongly in the most remarkable game I’ve ever seen live at Selhurst Park. You could always be sure of him saving almost most shots outside the box and seeing him launch to punch corners out was a joy to behold. One of my all time favourites along with Jocky McSporran.

• No, @MBS, I wasn’t aware of any tubbiness and certainly don’t recall away fans taunting him about it. I had in mind that he wasn’t the most muscular looking goalkeeper.

• He was certainly quite padded for those landings.

• He was Stockdale esque in the build department.

Luckily, Stockdale level in ability too. (ex premier league etc)

• I think in the Martin Taylor era it was accepted that keepers carried a certain degree of excess timber. I recall Peter Schmeichel being over 15 stone.

• The old Enfield and Dagenham keeper John Jacobs was both short and fat and wore very short shorts.

It was the equivalent of our former rotund full back Neil Price playing in goal.

• Remember Jim Stannard? His nickname was the flying pig

• Fulham's keeper Hesford was a hefty old lump, I think his name was Iain, and his brother Bob played Rugby for England., I may have the names the wrong way round.

• Wasn't Martin Taylor's gait, when he played for us, affected by the almost career ending broken leg he suffered for Derby?

That might explain why he looked shorter and heavier than he actually was!

• He didn’t look like someone who’d square up to another player. That’s all I was saying. And, yes, he was clearly pretty tubby. As all goalkeepers, it seems, tended to be in the olden days - ie turn of the century. I’d either not noticed or had forgotten.

• This injury is why he drop kicked with one leg but used the opposite leg for a goal kick. I don’t know which leg was injured, but he had to retrain himself on the kicking.

• I was a huge fan of Taylor and commentated on two of the most significant moments in his career. I was at Southend working for Central TV when he suffered the horrific double leg fracture playing for Derby in a collision with Dave Regis, younger brother of our very own late, great Cyrille. I was also at Selhurst Park working for Sky on that unforgettable night when we beat a Wimbledon team who had taken the lead through a goal by a young chap called Gareth Ainsworth.

• The overriding feeling when we signed Martin Taylor was that of disbelief that he was a Wycombe player

John Gregory more or less said so when we signed him.

He was amazing. So many games where you just knew he wasn't letting one in. The Millwall away game in that FA Cup is the one that really sticks out. They absolutely battered us from the first minute until the last but there was no way on earth they were getting past Taylor that day. A simply unbelievable performance.

• I just missed Taylor. Started going in 02/03 and had to endure Frank Talia (although 8-year-old me prob didn't have much idea about goalkeeping quality).

• Turns out we didn't have a GK on the bench that day!

• Good old Frankie Flymo!

I remember a Martin Taylor masterclass when we played at Luton away - save after save of the highest quality.

• And let’s not forget Manchester City away at Maine Road, another fabulous performance.

• Ah Ellington for Wigan.

When we got the Fa cup semi final money, Sanchez tried to bid it all on Ellington.

Instead we brought Currie and Roberts in.

Always wonder how the former would have panned out as then more than ever, a quality striker made a huge difference as peak Sean Devine showed.

• Talia wasn’t so bad. Obviously the flymo accident didn’t help but overall he was a reasonable League zone standa

• Remember Jason Roberts too? We rejected him after trials for not bring strong enough I heard - unbelievable!

• Who's the S. Roberts playing for us? The only one I don't remember from that squad.

• Young Stuart Roberts signed from Swansea for 100k I think. Was a bright young talent for them. Notable highlight for us was a hat-trick at Sixfields but never lived up to the expectations. Tony Adams destroyed him mentally and he moved to Forest Green then into the Welsh Leagues. Lovely chap

• This is why his injury comeback took almost 2yrs. They had to remove some of his femur in one of his legs to reset it.

• edited August 2022

My list of Top 5 goalkeppers that I've seen playing for Wycombe are: (in this order)

1) Martin Taylor

2) Paul Hyde

3) Tom Heaton

4) David Stockdale

5) Frank Fielding

• It was Sanchez who did that.

Destroying him "as a player and as a person".

Which is a horrible situation and makes you wonder exactly what went on.