Skip to content

Nathan Bishop set to sign

Comments

• I love the sheer stubbornness of some posters to refuse to admit that getting a senior keeper to replace Stockdale by game 1 might have been a good idea.

"But he hasn't made any absolute howlers yet, must be fine"

• Completely disingenuous misrepresentation of what anyone else is saying. Getting a senior keeper in by game 1 would have been a good idea, but it didn't happen and some of us just aren't pissing our pants about it.

• Here we go again... Fans getting justifiably annoyed about the situation - because they want their team to do well (believe it or not) - get told they're overreacting. The only overreaction I've seen was someone on Twitter labelling us relegation fodder.

• I saw someone on here laughably describing it as "unacceptable".

• edited August 2022

Waiting for Bishop (as opposed to Godot - though reading some of this thread it sometimes feels more apt) is clearly a calculated risk, which so far appears to have not backfired.

Not (yet) replacing Forino (who appears to have replaced Stewart) is probably also a calculated risk but harder, on the basis of very little rumours or information, to fathom and a risk which you could argue, has cost us points - or at least a coherent performance - at Bolton.

Anyway, the Endgame approaches…

• If that's correct, you still haven't told us seriously what you're going to do about it. Give up your season ticket? Switch teams?

• Completely agree with you @drcongo. There will be plenty more Up's & Down's during this season, we aren't allowed off this ride until the end of the season. Then we can criticise the club's progress and lack of transfers as we look back at what could have been and look forward to the next ride of a season!

• I don’t think the season is a disaster, far from it but GA has said himself that a goalkeeper is imminent and he as talked about replacing Anthony Stewart.

I hope Tyla proves to be a brilliant keeper for us but either way, we need another keeper to compete with him.

As for Nathan Bishop, I suspect his delayed introduction is due to the mess at Man Utd in acquiring a 3rd string keeper. God knows when that mess will be sorted. Maybe GA thinks it is worth hanging on for Bishop despite the dithering at Old Trafford.

We have won 2 and lost 1 which is not that bad a start at all but we did have a pretty bad day at Bolton for a number of reasons.

Personally I would love to see a GK and CB arrive sooner than later but I can understand the need to bring in the right players although I get frustrated with no movement. Gareth will sort it I am sure.

• I don’t know it actually. I wasn’t referring to the 60 yard lob, I was picking up on your (accurate) assertion that goalkeepers should not be hanging back versus your criticism of Tyla for advancing too quickly when Bolton scored.

• edited August 2022

I said there's no advantage to a goalkeeper hanging back when your team has possession in the opposition half. That's a totally different situation to Bolton's second goal on Saturday, a 1v1.

• We need another keeper as cover for Dickinson.

Too soon?

• Not only that, but that was clearly the plan and sometimes plans go tits up.

In this case Gaz has clearly weighed up the situation, is still confident of getting him and so has made a judgment that waiting a bit is a better option than getting in a keeper who is not as good who he didn't really want in time for the Burton game.

It's been a fascinating insight into bedwetters and non-bedwetters on here mind. Not hugely surprised by the names in either camp to be honest (with the odd exception)

• Not hugely surprised by the names in either camp to be honest (with the odd exception)

I'm slightly surprised by the fact that the Venn diagram between "this club is a disgrace because keeper" crowd and the "we have a right to know" crowd isn't a perfect circle.

• If you look back at Bolton’s second goal we did have possession in their half, lost it and their forward had acres of space to take the ball towards our goal. In my opinion most keepers in that situation would have moved forward to try to narrow the angle. I don’t disagree that we still need an experienced keeper but it’s unfair to criticise Tyla for how he’s played so far.

• This thread always gets me. Many hours behind, so I wake up to 53 new comments and think it may have finally happened.

• I am very much in the camp that in the circumstances the club found itself in we were right to put out faith in Tyla Dickenson (who the club appears to rate highly) whilst MUFC resolve their internal clusterfuck and we get Bishop eventually, rather than settle on someone we didn't want. As it turns out that has proven to be a reasonably sensible choice by the club, as I dont think given everything else that was off against Bolton that any keeper would have prevented our loss on the day.

I was much more concerned when Forino got injured therefore leaving us with one first choice CB, though I do think Grimmer has done ok as a stand-in. Despite a decent enoough performance last night it looks like Wakely isn't quite ready but could possibly do a job from the bench in a pinch, but like others feel that a decent 3rd choice CB is needed sooner rather than later.

Experience of how GA in particular does his transfer window business means I am prepared to give him, the coaches & recruitment team the benefit of the doubt until the window closes; i.e. I have faith in the process, especially as it has worked well in the past.

• I don't know how many individual "experts" have taken part in the discussion but it is now approaching 1000 posts and some people seem to have spent all their time contributing to it. Has it advanced anything since it started?

• edited August 2022
  • I always know a roasting is coming my way when I see your name quoting me 🤣

• I thought you of all people would appreciate a left field interpretation of matters .

• Just erm, keep the faith.

We will sign a keeper this lifetime. I guarantee it.

• To be honest @Malone I think this thread is killing me. I keep vowing to keep away...but like Michael Corleone I keep being pulled back in.

• Scott McGleish made a very reasonable comment about players (like Tyla) who had grown up in U23 football. Essentially he said that every game is a meaningless friendly and no coach ever got sacked for losing a game. Only when players get into senior football do they properly develop. I personally think U23 football has stunted player development for the same reason. Combined with player hoarding I just don’t see it’s a good thing for the game.

• edited August 2022

I am coming to the conclusion that it will be a bit disappointing if we do eventually sign Nathan Bishop.

This thread has meandered around and disappeared into interesting and wonderfully obscure tangents (the meaning of time for example) and deserves, in my opinion, being preserved in aspic (or the modern, virtual equivalent) as a perfect example of what happens when a group of (occasionally) intelligent, (mostly) literate and (spectacularly) uninformed football supporters with too much time on their hands and not enough actual football to complain about, get together on a football fans forum. Peak Gasroom.

For the balance of the universe it just feels right that this was ultimately only ever about hypotheticals rather than an actual reality.

(On the other hand, I do actually want to see him as our player one day - soonish would be nice)

• If / when this bloke actually signs, can we close this one and start another? Should hit 1,000 posts by deadline day.

• Sorry for raising my hand, ✋, but what was the question? I must have fallen asleep.

• Nick Freeman