Skip to content

Not Football

Comments

• & now Silvio "bunga, bunga" Berlusconi has passed

Bad weekend for right wing populists...

• Fantastic weekend for humans.

• I assume, like his Dad, proud patriot Boris will take out citizenship of a European country after being 'forced out'. Now Farage is largely barking at the small band of true believers on GB News, Trump in clink would be nice.

Anyone know the odds of 'cancelled' actor Lawrence Fox winning King Boris's old seat?

• @Wendoverman the chance of Lozza winning has to be close to zero, if he stands in Uxbridge he is unlikely to occupy the tellers for long.

• Huzzah for John Sweeney facing down Putins fascists in the Ukraine and useful idiots here with nothing but an orange beanie to defend himself.

• edited June 2023

I would hope so @Erroll_Sims ...though I assume the run would purely be yet another vehicle to encourage people who believe 'wokeness' is destroying the planet to fill his 'party' coffers.

• The only thing there that’s “definitely true” is that the percentages (highly dubious in themselves) have been incorrectly translated into actual numbers.

Scary, nonetheless.

While I’m here, I’d like to correct a popular misconception about my career from 1957-1961. Met Office was the customary abbreviation of Meteorological Office in those days. Nothing to do with the Metropolitan Police.

But it became clear to me the other day that “Met Office” is nowadays quite likely to be interpreted as “Met Police”, a body of men (and women, presumably) widely conceived as being “institutionally racist”.

The realisation of this potential misunderstanding came to light a few days ago when I was chatting to a gentleman about the sale of my car. When he mentioned that he was originally from Uxbridge, I told him that I had worked there as a civilian in the Met Office (HQ 11 Group RAF Uxbridge) 65 years ago. “So you were a policeman” he replied. Definitely not! The thought of me as a policeman is hilarious.

Bearing in mind the number of times I’ve referred on here to having been employed by “the Met Office”, and the potential for misinterpretation, I thought I should clarify the situation.

Policeman indeed! And that reaction relates purely to the incongruity of the image. I’ve no complaints whatsoever about the handful of police officers I’ve encountered during a boringly uneventful life.

One encounter with the police that amused me at the time was in about 1948 when dad was driving into Hyde Park and had apparently entered via an exit. The copper who “pulled us over” seemed reasonable enough. It was dad’s comment that tickled me. “Sorry, officer, I made a bloomer”.

• Very depressing indeed. I have a neice who is one of these believers, so wrapped up in it all that it actually caused a bit of bad blood in the family and people have fallen out over it. Thing is they can't be told otherwise or have a rational conversation about it, as far as they are concerned they are right and that's it... and everyone else is just blind

• When you have "leaders" like Boris and Hancock who were repeatedly caught flouting their own rules, or sending texts saying they need to "scare" people into following orders, it's no surprise those who thought it was all made up double down on their views.

• The idea that a Tory government, especially that corrupt and dolt led one, would close down businesses and pump out the kind of support they did without good reason is laughable. King Boz was boasting about shaking hands with Covid patients and bemoaning all the stuff and nonsense the week before he got it...and I believe they thought they could ride out losing a load of OAPs politically as Cummings said. Of course it was seen as another level of grift by Ministers and their mates but that's true to form. The fact that the views of ( however many) idiots are now taken as important by people who should know better is the saddest thing for me. My sister had an anti-vaxxer friend who died of Covid, with his wife and daughter! That quietened the pub a bit. Excellent Male nurse who treated my daughter's chest problems at Stoke also died...we have two people at work suffering with Long Covid. A small survey I know, but the Lawrence Fox's and Eric Claptons can all **** off.

• I wonder how many people Johnson killed with his hospital hand shaking, and whether he'll ever stand trial for it.

• I dare say loads of us have these sort of links.

A family friend's teen daughter has barely been able to work for 3 years due to covid's effects!

People can be blase about how the huge majority never got worse than cold/flu symptoms, but there's many out there who have had dreadful times with it.

I know a guy, about 30, super fit athlete previously, who has been reduced to a shell after what is presumed to be long covid kicked in.

• And it is still with us...

• True. The present Mrs Bargepole and I have been called to an appointment tomorrow morning, to receive further Covid booster jabs.

I've been lucky, I never caught Covid all through the pandemic / lockdown era, but my daughter says that's because I practice social distancing as a default setting anyway.

• Have a word with him at your next family gathering!

• for Gina Coladangelo.

• Talking of family gatherings, I still can’t get over Mick Jones of the Clash and Big Audio Dynamite having Grant Shapps as a relative.

• Just catching up with a C5 programme on air fryers, the sort of thing you do at my age. Forest Green Rovers sell their chips cooked in a big air fryer. Healthier, faster, maybe cheaper, and maybe not subject to the strict health and safety rules on deep fat fryers. In the taste test with fans and players, the air fryer shaded it. Just saying.

• Air fryers are great!

• Watched it, too. Russell Hobbs seems particularly good value. It was the chips that might have sold it to us but space is at a premium and I par boil spuds and transfer to a very small deep fat fryer, using Hill Farm cold pressed, extra virgin rapeseed oil. About every 10 days maximum so not too harmful healthwise and bloody delicious!

• Never thought I'd see air fryers discussed on the Gasroom but with a summer as quiet as this, I'm here for it. I recommend the Ninja Foodie Max 10/10

• Seconded, we have one of those and it's brilliant. Does M&S triple cooked chips in 12 minutes.

• One of our neighbours swears by her Ninja Air Fryer.

• Funnily enough, @MorrisItal2, I was going to add “…especially when the chips burn her fingers.” but decided it was too corny.

No corn chowder jokes, please.

• edited June 2023

Nothing to see here, just rugby being not a real sport again https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1673713545165537281