Skip to content

David Stockdale

Comments

• All clubs have to rebuild and I think we do it as well - and as seamlessly - as anyone at this level

• I must admit I thought the chance of the 5 signing on was as below

JJ & Stockdale - 100% certainty

Stewart/Gape - Massive likeliness

Wing - Every chance

Stockdale going, and no news around a month later does make you wonder what's going on.

I know it's pre even pre-season, staff are off / cleaning the office etc / we might be trying to announce contracts with the kit etc...but still...radio silence so far.

• Nice guy, local boy etc, but we've had better keepers than him since.

• I’d like to see someone more the age, shape and mobility of a couple of tall, slim young ‘keepers who played blinders against us towards the end of last season. Struggling to remember names unfortunately (of clubs, never mind the ‘keepers!).

• Was it Shrewsbury's keeper who had the game of his life against us? Not even their first choice from what I recall.

• Good shout @MindlessDrugHoover. Marko Maroši. But quoted recently as “ready and committed to kick on at Shrewsbury “.

• Which summer was it Sanchez got rid of all the old pros and signed a bunch of kids from Beaconsfield? I’m trying to shake that feeling off!

• As history tells us @Otter87 ...we rarely do any business much before the start of the season...(usually to anguished cries of 'Who?' ) and Vokes signed the night of one of our last friendlies. He did alright.

• I'm more traumatised by Tony Adams once playing an all teen back 4!

Yes Stephen Taylor was one, and of immense quality.

But you knew Adams was a wrongun when he was bringing these top quality kids in for 1 months to show his pulling power, rather than a proper sustainable plan to keep us up.

He'd written us off as staying up by October of the season! And with criminal irony, slated Simmo and Currie in the press saying they'd given up!

Man was an absolute weapon.

• They always read like those nice things your ex says about you after you’ve been dumped

• 2003. The summer when Charlie Mapes was our marquee signing.

• And, am I also correct in thinking, that there will forever be tiles paid for by him on the Wanderers Wall for some of the NHS workers local to High Wycombe?

• So am I supposed to be panicking about who we have not signed, or who we have not re-signed? I am still recovering from moving to the edge of my seat when the QPR and Blackburn jobs came up...

• edited June 2022

@Shev I think most people are concerned over the lack of news from those players who haven't re-signed / accepted their new contracts. The lack of news in general has been slightly worrying from the club. We can then start worrying about who we haven't signed, once we know the gaps that need filling in the squad

• Chances are those players are, or have been, on holiday with their families ahead of pre-season and the stupidly early restart, so unlikely to be any news until they're back, have had a chance to think about things, and talk to the club and their agents.

We get this discussion every summer.

• Can we do a poll to see if "most people" really are concerned? 1 vote for NO here.

• Don’t count me in the most people. This information void happens every year. I am NOT concerned.

I think I am right in thinking that if the contracts on offer get signed we have only one or two senior squad places to fill and I’m guessing the club know the likelihood of each signature.

In the current crazy world we live in I admire those who find space to worry about this. Maybe it’s a coping mechanism? Just don’t try to make out ‘most people’ are the same. I don’t know a single Wycombe fan personally who is bothered in the slightest.

• It's hardly cause for sleepless nights I agree but pre-season is next week(?) so I would hope we would start to see the squad assemble soon. We have some key personalities to replace and I think this transfer window will be one of GA's toughest for a long time. We need good players and we need leaders. Not always the same

• Why would you sign a contract offer before you had to?

Relax.

• This is very true, although I expect the remaining four have done so and the announcement is being saved for later. I think Wing accidentally leaked that he was staying then deleted the tweet?

• Every transfer window has been the most important/difficult of GA's managememt career...that's the Gasroom tradition

• I'm more concerned about the lack of news about the new kit tbh. Have we ever released information about that so late? Given O'Neills' well-documented difficulties with distribution those who may want a replica shirt by the start of the season may well have to be on the edge of their seats, if Tom is correct and we've signed on with O'Neills again.

As for players I agree that all four have probably agreed contracts and are waiting for the club to press release it. There haven't been any agent-originating rumours about other clubs sniffing round them which suggests they've signed on (there was for Stockdale at least a week before the announcement). The only one I'd be slightly worried about would be JJ as he's made it clear he sees his future in accountancy. I don't think Wing did enough to get signed by a Championship club so will stick with us for another season.

If we're going to sign a Premier League goalie on loan, which I hope we do, we'll probably have to wait until their squads are finalised... Which might mean we start the season with Dickinson in the team. Probably important to see if he thrives but we'll also have to sign another development goalkeeper for bench warming purposes if nothing else?

Alternatively I wouldn't be shocked to see Jamal Blackman return. In fact, I'd be delighted.

• Jack Young is definitely staying - for years (or at least until the big money offers start coming in. Ditto Forino?). Let’s relax and think positive.

• Apologies. Didn’t realise I was on David Stockdale’s thread.

• He's been very generous with his cash, imagine if he actually had bought a thread on the gasroom.

• Not concerned in slightest about the lack of new signings or extension news.

However, have to admit until I see an interview or some kind of quote from Ainsworth I will be wondering if we could be in for a summer of significant upheaval.

Seems a long time since the playoff final and don’t remember things going so quiet for this long in previous seasons.

• I'm sure you've made plenty of posts in the past that are either moaning about something or voicing a concern.

It's not for you to shut down anyone else's gentle question of have we signed anyone, who has signed on, when's the kit out etc.

What's the point of this forum otherwise? Especially in summer?

• Player signings and kit news will come, what would be nice is some information about our pre season games!

• The club doctor is on holiday so medicals can’t be signed off till he returns (even if they have been completed by our medical organisation sponsor).