Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• would not be suprised if you actually looked like your profile picture. bring on Burton ...we could be in trouble!

• @Wanderers82 They finished 11th. Would you be happy if we finished 11th this season?

• In fairness Lowrich's recruitment has clearly been superb to get relegated down to this league, then erm...finish lower than us last season?

• Shouldn't Ipswich plough the league, rather than walk it?

• all you do is make out how amazing we are and how amazing GA is , they need to be accountable on how poor our recruitment has been so far ....I really Hooe GA pulls a couple out of the bag...

• edited July 2022

Just to let you guys know that I believe that the club currently has up to 30 players on trial at the club at the moment. There is a lot of opportunity out there for these players and some of these players are experienced and have played pro-football while others have played no higher than semi-pro and they are all being given the same chance.

In GA & Dobbos eyes, if you have been successful at our level (or above) you should stand out easily in a trial with semi-pro's. If they aren't and less experienced players are getting noticed, that tells you everything you need to know. Every player has to earn the right to play & sign for Wycombe Dev / 1st team, noone just gets in because they have a claim or a pushy agent or history to justify themselves, actions speak louder.

While, to an outsider, it may seem like we are 'behind in the market' or 'weaker than last season' I think you need to just bite your tongue and hold fire until the end of the transfer window before making a summary on our squad and the potential it has. Every club's recruitment is different, some have money to splash while others don't. Some clubs have the promise of playing in front of 25,000 every other week and some only get 2,500 but thats what makes every club's recruitment so unique and interesting at this time of the year.

We are all on this forum for 1 thing and thats because we share a passion for this club and this in-fighting does start to affect people in different ways. Everyone can disagree with points of view or see somethings differently to others, surely we can move on from those differences and talk about others things? We can also be big enough to raise 1 point once and leave it alone rather than going back again and again to the same thing?

• Too many words ....

• Just seen someone suggest we lack depth in attack, brb just fetching my eyes from the other side of the room

• Where have I said we have a better squad?

We are a couple of signings short of having a better squad and still 7 weeks until the window closes.

Are you impressed we signed Vokes again after you delighted in telling everyone he would be gone if we did not get promoted.

• With JJ getting on and being fairly regularly used at CB, and Obita being used on the wing occasionally another young LB makes some sense and probably would have seen match time in the second half of last season.

• I think it was Ernie Howe that recently said any manager that doesn't want all his transfer business done early pre season is lying.

I understand we will get outbid or turned down for some targets, and may have to play the waiting game, but it does put you at a disadvantage. With WWFC putting so much emphasis on there sports science and medical team in recent years, to get players up to optimum fitness levels. To have 2-4 players coming in late is not ideal, both to gel them into the playing style, and to assess where they are physically, as you have been monitoring the rest of the squad since the end of last season.

• For sure, interesting to see if yet we bring one in this window

• Bishop being linked with Cheltenham. Interesting if they are able to gazump us, no disrespect to Cheltenham. Might send certain sections into meltdown.

• The power of the assumption. Part of me would love to see the melt down of Bishop signing for someone else next week only for Ainsworth to reveal our new goalie to great acclaim a day or two later.

What if this Bishop guy was never the target?

• It’s really strange behaviour from Man Utd to insist on Bishop going on their tour if he’s genuinely set for a loan exit. He’s one of four keepers on their tour, so is hardly needed there, and if he’s really set for WWFC then he could have spent time getting to know his new teammates ahead of the new season.

I think if he was coming to WWFC then we’d have known by now.

• Lee Harrison appeared to confirm Bishop the other week - and I always thought we'd get him because of the connection between those two - so I'm guessing it's just taken longer than anticipated. But if it's not Bishop, something tells me we'll have a more than capable goalkeeper for the start of the season...

• He's already gone to Newcastle! Big move for Jesus this summer as well.

• I have no idea if the story linking us with Bishop is true or not, but what I do know is that agents are busy at this time of the year feeding journalists with stories about every club under the sun chasing their clients/players. I understand that we’re all getting impatient for news, but the transfer window doesn’t close till September 1st and some of the best deals are made late on.

• I’d rather we didn’t wait until 1 September to sign a keeper.

• edited July 2022

Im pretty sure it will be Bishop - and being fully immersed in a first-team environment at an elite club for a fee weeks is hardly going to do him any harm!

• Wonder if the ‘Show Me’ signing was tied in with Bishop in any way? Can’t think of another time when we signed any, never mind two, (sort of) Man U players?

• It’s a miracle! 55 years old and riddled with arthritis. Where’s he fetched up? Not PNE I assume.

it ain’t ‘alf ‘hot, mum.

• I do kind of echo that. Especially with the big clubs not sorting out their final squads til later in the window and therefore releasing players to the loan market down the pyramid.

But, and I do think this is rubbish, by the time the window closes we will have played eight games, six league and 2 cup. We have to have our key squad players sorted by game 1 and the cherries on the top come in later. IMHO transfer windows should close as the season starts. However also in my opinion we shouldn’t have loan windows in leagues 1 and 2 so what do I know.

• Always worth remembering that we signed Alfie Mawson the day before the season started, and when we played Newport on the opening day no one had a clue who he was.

• edited July 2022

We don't have loan windows. And ideally the window should shut before the start of the season, but that's just not practical with different league starting at different times - that was the case for the PL in 2018 and 2019, but they reverted as clubs from other leagues were still able to buy from PL clubs until their respective windows closed (not sure why they didn't make it a two-way thing tbh).

• Championship window closed before the start of the season in 2019, but I think that was the only year. And in 2020 you had a domestic-only window open slightly longer than the main one, but I think that was a one-off. All back to normal last year I think.