Skip to content

Realistic Signing(s) for the Summer

Comments

• Also relatively high-risk regardless of price tag as he's 29 and that was his first remotely prolific season as a pro

• Any system works if you have the personell to make it work. I think a back 3 is probably the preffered system by most - but we were trying to squeeze JJ, Obita, Grimmer, McCarthy in - it didn't work. Had Stewart, Taff and Forino been fit all at the same time - we would have persisted with it.

I agree about his age though. I wouldn't gamble on it. Saying that, you can't buy goals for much less. I'm fairly confident Vokes, Mehmeti, McCleary and a fit Hanlan will give us enough firepower. There are teams in this league that would love any of those players in their XI.

Anyway - Nick Freeman. Oh yeh.....Nick Freeman too!

• Clearly if the rumours are true, we are likely to sign Bishop from Man Utd on loan. Man Utd are not back from Australia, where he is on tour, until the last week of July. He certainly isn’t going to have much time to get to know the club before our first league game. Seems a slightly risky strategy . Still waiting for the signings that GA signposted would show our intent. Not sure the first three new signings would have too many of our opponents too worried at the moment. Still a couple of weeks to go , so ever hopeful of additions that would improve a really good squad.

• The other thing with a back three is that you can only get one of McCleary, Mehmeti and Horgan in unless you play GMac as a second striker. It's there as an option - we switched to it mid-game after ditching it as the default - but I'd be surprised if we lined up that way on the opening day. But maybe surprise is exactly what Gaz et al are going for...

• We lined up with GMac as a second striker on opening day last season. That worked. He scored 2.

It's important to be able to switch systems mid-game and be comfortable with it. I think we have all positions covered with that in mind (one new CB and an "80th minute plan" a la Bayo would be good additions. The latter not 100% neccessary).

@davecz It's a good point but out of any position on the pitch, I think GK can get away more easily than most with not knowing "how we play". "Right Nathan, goal kicks - do a big kick" Sorted.

• Yeah it's an interesting one.... If he really is Wycombe bound this season, then I'm a bit surprised that he didn't stay back to train with us and get to know our players and system....maybe it's all paper talk about him coming to us .... Or maybe he just fancied a trip overseas over a trip to Marlow road before he kicks off his season 😂🤷

• This is also very true. (Your reply to davecz) had plenty of keepers come in last minute over they years for emergency loans etc.... They just come in and get on with it

• Ten Hag has challenged his youngsters to break into the senior squad, but I can't see Bishop doing so as they're supposedly about to sign Thomas Strakosha - who should go straight in as second choice between De Gea and Heaton.

• edited July 2022

Or not - apparently Strakosha is going to Brentford. We'll have to see, but clearly we will be bringing a goalkeeper in.

• edited July 2022

Hmmmm Interesting..... Thanks for that info

Maybe ten hag specified he had to be part of the trip

• edited July 2022

They've got Bishop and Kovar - another young GK who was on loan at Burton last season, which perhaps suggests he's slightly ahead of Bishop development-wise (was at Swindon then got recalled and went to Burton), but who knows 🤷

• seriously worried about GK position .....would not be surprised if GA put all his eggs in 1 basket for Bishop and have no plan B

• Out of a passing interest would you be ‘happy’ if we did get Bishop for a year @Wanderers82?

• would prefer blackman ...proven at this level and league above

• edited July 2022

A good quality keeper on loan or permanent will be very easy to find. Lots of options!

Joe Lewis, Bishop, Blackman to name three.

A CB will be more difficult, as will a striker.

• Was that a yes or a no @Wanderers82?

• Only less critical given that we may not be looking at ‘starting’ positions

• not sure he is ready for an apparently automatic promotion chasing side

• I’ll take that as a ‘no’ then.

Personally I would be more than happy from what I’ve read and heard.

• We've already signed a striker.

Agree re. a good 'keeper being easy to get hold of in theory, but the season starts in barely two weeks!

• We have signed Mellor and hopefully he turns out to be a Mehmeti or Forino. With only 60 minutes of senior football over four substitute appearances and serious injuries going back to an ACL two years ago, it's difficult to know if he will be capable of Top Level League One football. I certainly hope so and look forward to seeing him for the first time at Bolton.

• Not too concerned by the goalie being on tour, it's experience for him and they'll want to have cover for matches and training without having to fly people out at short notice. I'd be inclined to believe we'd have got someone else in if it wasn't a done deal but we'll see.

• What would be guaranteed in that scenario, is that wanderers82 will quickly be bashing the bishop one way or another!

• ‘will quickly be bashing the bishop’ @Malone is that a metaphor I was previously unaware of?

• Exeter City, who were the other team said to be interested in Bishop, have now turned their attention to a loan deal for a keeper from Bristol City.

Secondly, for those promoting Alfie May as a possibility, he has signed an extension to his contract with Cheltenham until the summer of 2024.

• The second bit I'm sure you've heard of :)

The first bit more an indictment of Mr Wanderers' haste to moan.

• I have a natural instinct to be in the very glass half-empty camp in matters relating to WWFC (but the total opposite with the rest of life) so I was mentally going through the team for next year and got to:

Vokes, McCleary, Horgan, Mehmeti, Wing, Scowen, Taf, Forino, JJ, McCarthy

and thought:

hang on, what about Hanlan, KaiKai, Wheeler, Freeman, Gape, Thompson, Grimmer, Obita

and then thought:

there are a lot of pretty good players in there as it out without looking at the likes of Mellor, Al-Hamada, et al.

Obviously there is a debate to have whether Forino is quite ready for a full season as first choice CB and i would like to think McCarthy has spent the summer practicing his crossing, but, taking the GK out of the equation, that looks, on paper, a pretty good team/squad for League 1 and I actually think that finishing in the lower half of the table would be an under-achievement.

to return to form though I will bring in the ‘losing play-off final’ syndrome (which I’ve no idea is backed up by statistics but in my head means we will struggle for the first three months) and the loss of big characters like Bayo (and Mr Wycombe) which may have an unpredictable effect.

I really hate to say this but I actually feel quite positive going into the season…

(that will last for 3 minutes into the first game and Horgan’s first gently lifted cross for the keeper to comfortably collect…)

• You've not mentioned Young, who I believe can have a big impact this season.

• Completely forgot about him!!!

• Forino goes straight in to replace Stewart, Bishop to replace Stockdale and we've arguably got a better 11 than last season. Wing and Young will be like new signings, the fella from man utd hasn't been signed to go in the development squad so he'll be the back up to Vokes along with Hanlan. Wakley possibly ready to be a back up cb too. We finished on 83pts last season, imagine if the 7 game winless streak didn't happen we'd if won the league!!! The squad is basically ready to challenge again.