Skip to content

Ainsworth to QPR - West London Sport

Comments

• What's to say the QPR job will be available in a year's time.

Though at the rate they have gone through managers, then it is a possibility.

• Well, bless yer for that @LX1 ! I’ve no idea how to get back to your quirky comment in order to quote it but you definitely asked me how to spell address. I assumed you were in your cups at the time and chose to respond gibberishly!at at the time and

• Hieroglyphics have appeared below the comments box. God knows what’s going on!

just when I was saying how wonderful the new website is!

• Interesting you would not want Blooms. I lean the other way - I think the club culture is so strong that it is less of a risk to hire someone who already understands (and in Blooms' case, embodies) it.

• Unless it was Dobbo, I'd rather not keep it in house

• Only a possibility? I'd have gone for racing certainty.

• Lancs Telegraph reporting that Rovers want to speak to Ainsworth... but he's not on the shortlist. So take and give, there

• edited May 2022

What if - hear me out - Gaz isn't interested in taking on a bigger job? We shouldn't treat him like most managers - because he isn't.

• The chat here isn't on just 'a bigger job' though, it's about specifically Rovers and QPR. He's always implied it would be tremendously hard to turn them down. It's worth a discussion

• Rovers maybe - although I'd expect him to meticulously weigh up all of the pros and cons regardless of sentiment - but while he loves QPR, he's been at Wycombe almost twice as long.

• With the QPR job, he won’t have to move home and disrupt his family. That could be a major factor in any decision. My sense he has ‘ within budget constraints’ total control on the playing side whereas at QPR he would have to work with a Director of Football. Would that be a stumbling block.

Ainsworth has stated again he is committed to us but would the draw of Championship football be too much to turn down. I hope he does turn it down if offered and build with the help of the Couhigs on a tremendous season we have just had.

• Yeah, Les Ferdinand is their DoF, but Warburton was manager rather than HC. Not sure exactly how the structure works there.

• Everyone on here knows who it is. Think about it...

• The only one I can think of is O'Neil but he's now 70, would it be wise to hire someone who is collecting his pension? Look at the limited success that Watford has had when they hired Hodgson?

If it's not him, then I'm with @wwfcblue and I'm struggling to think of the next manager too.

• I assume you mean Martin O'Neill?

• ✅ Potentially to bridge the gap between Ainsworth and Blooms if it came to that. Probably a bit of a wildcard shout, mind.

• I think Ainsworth has made no secrets that he is drawn back to those clubs that he has played for. After having the conversations with Sunderland a few years ago, I think he became wise to moving to an "unknown" team where he has little or no connection to. When the PNE job was available, Gareth went strangely quiet in trying to distance himself from it.

One thing that will prob be weighing on his mind a lot will be the risk of losing his legacy that he has built at Wycombe. He's been given time, trusted with the players that he's signed and he knows the club inside out. If he was to move to QPR or Rovers, would they allow him the time and freedom to do things his way or would he been expected to get results ASAP. A good comparison / situation would be when Ole took over at Man Utd. He was/is a legend and actually didn't do a "bad" job however he didn't get the results that they were expected and was booted out very quickly. If that happened to GA, I'm not sure if he'll recover from that quick and instant knock down.

It makes you wonder why more Championship / Premier League sides haven't looked at / interviewed GA? Could it be because of the style of football? His appearance? Only time will tell.

• Which just goes to show that your assertion "Everybody on here knows", in such a condescending way was wrong.

I was thinking John Gorman.

• Martin has been retired 3 years from management and probably earns more being a pundit on occasions than he would having to work 50/60 hours a week with Wycombe. I very much doubt at 70+ he would put himself under so much stress.

• edited May 2022
  • As has been touched upon above, reporting to Sir Les, Director of Football, at QPR would be a major negative for Gareth.

Cue Announcement...

• 'Took us six years to get Wycombe where we wanted them...do you have the patience?'

'Of course...'

DEC 2022: 'we would like to thank Gareth and Richard for their commitment and hard work. Sadly results have not etcetcetc...'

• edited May 2022

We all love a hero coming back, but Martin coming back would just give him impossible expectations to match up to.

However, I think this is all very unnecessary and Gaz is already well underway for next season's preparations. With us!

• This is one thread that I can avoid, reducing my Gasroom time by about 10%. Every little helps. Fewer opportunities for mrs micra to ask if I’m still ‘on the phone’.

• I was thinking Keith Scott. Wonder what @ReadingInPeace wrapped him up for Secret Santa.

• Keith Scott?! Crikey. Time to go.

• He was strongly linked at one point wasn't he.

Mostly by himself 😘

This discussion has been closed.