Skip to content

Ainsworth to QPR - West London Sport

Comments

• I hope he stays and celebrates 10 years in the job with Wycombe, which would be a tremendous achievement. But thinking about it objectively, this is the best time to go.

He's proven he can take an unfancied team up to the Championship, figure out the division and almost stay there - and then when that doesn't quite happen, motivate the squad to almost do it all over again the next season. Even if his usual style of play may not to be QPR's preference, the excitement value will be; having a team ready to run through walls for the manager will bring punters back each week. And, as I'm sure he'll point out if he is interviewed, Gareth can develop his style of play to fit the budget.

We all want Gareth to stay and take us on another ride again. But realistically the more constrained budget next season will make that a tough ask. If we finish mid table it's harder to see the offers from Championship clubs come in, when there will always be the exciting new names - the Cowleys, Russell Martins and Liam Mannings - to pluck from lower League sides.

So you definitely couldn't blame Gareth for at least entertaining the idea of moving on now, while he has the option. And if it doesn't work out, there's always likely to be the option of a second coming at Wycombe when the vacancy comes round again.

• I've banged on about it before so apologies if this is boring. Skybet (and every other betting company) put up any old rubbish on these markets to drive business to their site, and start discussion (successfully it seems). They don't have any inside knowledge . There's literally some kid in Leeds or Harrogate who has been told to put up a 'next qpr manager market'. Ainsworth fits the bill so do him at evens.

Thanks to that kid for going 9/2 about Wycombe top six. It will keep the Empire out for years to come.

• Spending millions on player purchases (if that’s what you had in mind, @YorkshireBlue as opposed to the overall players’ wage bill) is totally against the underlying philosophy of the Ainsworth/Couhig regime.

It became abundantly clear, once Ikpeazu and Tafazolli became regular starters for the last dozen or so matches of the Championship season, that it was possible to compete very well indeed with an extremely modest budget. I think our results over that period would have put us in the top 10.

• https://youtu.be/xdRyNea19PE

And he shall reign for ever and ever more.

Forever and ever, hallelujah hallelujah

• Will we really be on a significantly restrained playing budget next season (genuine question)? We hardly went overboard on silly signings this year - Vokes obviously took a massive pay-cut to come here and (very successfully) revitalise his career and we seem to have stayed within a reasonable budget. Add to that the very significant play-off cash windfall and I reckon we'll have a similar budget for next season. Prepared to be proved wrong.

• A minute of the three was plenty but the spiral earwax removers caught my eye (and ears). Pardon?

• @LX1 : Nit sure why but I think you asked me how to spell a dress earlier. You put dohts in my mind but I think you got it right and will be safely shepherded home in future.

• you've got me there @micra no idea what that's about you nutter

• I pondered the same. The parachute is 2 years I believe. We just need to ensure that all the expensive players are big hits. Hence why we might struggle to justify keep Horgan and Kaikai. I don't think any of us could argue the worth of McCleary, Vokes, Scowen, Tafazoli and Stockdale (assuming they are all the big earners).

The loan market might be the saviour of the budget but even that isn't as simple as it once was with clubs often demanding a fee as well as premium wages for players that still require Googling when they are signed.

• Kaikai has been great - as long as he's determined to keep fighting for his place, we're not going to offload him

• edited May 2022

• He's been superb when he's played, but you do have to wonder why he's not even making the bench when there's a left-wingback playing in one of his preferred positions. No sleight on Obita by the way, who I think actually plays pretty well up front.

• Be a massive shame for you if he goes.

Its of course potentially a massive opportunity but that risk that if it goes wrong he could be out of work by Xmas given the general impatience of other clubs.

I'd think he'd want another crack at trying to get you out of League One tbh.

• I don't see him going. Happiness is underrated.

• If QPR or Blackburn do not appoint him what more does he need to do for a bigger club to give him an opportunity? Don't get me wrong I'm desperate for him to stay at Wycombe, but I just can't get my head around why he's still even with us, when other managers who are clearly not as talented as him are given opportunities, and sometimes more than one.

• Style of play. Obviously there are other direct coaches out there, but they tend to have been around the block and I think that gives them the edge. Not that I'm complaining!

• Perhaps some clubs also know enough about him to understand that with culture-building being a significant strength, they would potentially need to be patient and commit to a process?

• To be fair in Vokes' interview, he said something like "the OWNERS have got big plans". Maybe I'm reading too deep but he said nothing about Ainsworth.

Even if QPR offered Ainsworth £10k a week - I think Couhig would be silly not to match it for 1 season at least. There is nobody that I'd want to replace Ainsworth until Blooms is ready for it.

It will be a sad day when he leaves. The risk for GA is......well......look at Nathan Jones.....

• Do you think being direct is the Gareth Ainsworth way or is it case of being pragmatic and playing to the strengths of the squad? I reckon Gaz has the ability to produce a team with a more flowing on the ground approach, but I guess football also does like to pigeon hole players/coaches.

• There is one manager out there who has a very clear affinity for Wycombe Wanderers and I think would be a great short-term option (maybe to groom Blooms, although I'd like to think we'd look beyond another in-house appointment)...

• I think it's absolutely the Gareth Ainsworth way - the man's a student of John Beck (albeit less Jurassic)

• Pochettino? ;)

• I hope he stays at least for his 10th anniversary and to have one more tilt at getting us into the Championship.

As for the style we play I think part of it is his preference and part of it is pragmatism based on the squads strengths; we have seen a slow evolution to a more on the floor passing style over the last 60 odd games; though there is still an emphasis on getting the ball into the final third fairly quickly. let's be honest you don't score very often from your own final third of the pitch.

• If I were him I'd stay one more season. It's risky though, if we have an off season, does his reputation superseed the one season?

For his sake you'd like to think so - but football is so fickle that I don't think it would.

What's the worst case scenario for him? He stays at Wycombe where he is happy and is a legend?

If we don't go up, he can go saying that he has done all he can - or was that in his head this season?

Time and money will tell. But if "time is money" then I'm really confused.

• What if time is some abstract concept and doesn't really exist?

• Then the song would go...

"Time wasting b*****ds, we don't really know what we are"

• edited May 2022

https://youtu.be/LfduUFF_i1A

Monty Python’s Philosophy Football

(I can’t seem to embed links)

This discussion has been closed.