Skip to content

Rob's play-off final message

Comments

• It’s just a bit of hucksterism, trying to drum up ticket sales. Not particularly to my taste but nothing to be concerned about either.

• There are plenty of ways to drum up ticket sales without insulting the opposition with a remark which could come to make us look even more stupid than it already does. Even if nothing else, it comes across as highly unprofessional and not reflective of who we are as a club. But if he didn't mean it that way then I'm sure he'll be happy to clarify.

• @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:
    Not even close to how we’re regularly described.

I have just read on the League One Facebook page that we are the most terrible team in the whole EFL and it’s a disgrace that we’re anywhere near Wembley, although admittedly that was a Sunderland fan.

A fan not Sunderland’s chairman. The Chairman should be above this level of nonsense .

• That’s a really poor statement, and totally in contrast to the classy and gracious messages we always get from Ainsworth. I imagine the players and manager are cringing as much as we are reading that, which does us no favours.

It also serves the dual purpose of firing up the opposition, something we know the power of from our treatment at Stadium:MK.

Whilst he’s undoubtedly been fantastic for the club, I often worry that Rob doesn’t truly ‘get Wycombe’. That statement did nothing to ease those fears.

• Just read the statement now, completely unnecessary comment for the chairman of a football club to make about an opposition club. "Hucksterism" or not, I can't see how trying reduce a club with as rich a history as Sunderland's to a series on a streaming service would help drum up sales or rally the troops. It only reflects poorly on WWFC as a whole.

We have plenty of positives of our own to focus on, absolutely no need to make any digs whatsoever at the opposition, especially ill-judged ones like that.

• @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

I have just read on the League One Facebook page that we are the most terrible team in the whole EFL and it’s a disgrace that we’re anywhere near Wembley, although admittedly that was a Sunderland fan.

The difference is that none of those posters (I’m guessing) are owners of an EFL club. Rob is in a position of responsibility and ultimately represents Wycombe in everything he says and does, and that statement fell well short of meeting those responsibilities.

• I’d like to think it was meant in the spirit of his communication during our losing run at the beginning of last year where he was saying we shouldn’t be in awe of the Championship clubs we were visiting. The idea being we were there on merit and were competing on a level playing field.

Taking pride in historic triumphs or even glorious failure is fundamental to the experience of being a football fan. Even casually dismissive remarks can come over as a real slight to other clubs and I don’t think Rob quite gets that yet.

Sunderland have a genuinely astonishing history in English football and that deserves respect.

Its the games against these historic clubs that for me make football special. Travelling to White Hart Lane, Villa Park, Maine Road, Fratton Park, St Andrews, the Stadium of Light, Stamford Bridge, Selhurst Park, those are the experiences you look forward to and cherish.

Respecting the shared history of our game is a responsibly for all of us, and certainly for club officials.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

Do you honestly care? The absolute bollocks about us on there before renders their faux offence at it laughable

• @Jonny said:
    @glasshalffull said:

@floyd said:

The difference is that none of those posters (I’m guessing) are owners of an EFL club. Rob is in a position of responsibility and ultimately represents Wycombe in everything he says and does, and that statement fell well short of meeting those responsibilities.

I was responding to the comments by @floyd above and I also pointed out that it was said by a fan.

• @Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

Do you honestly care? The absolute bollocks about us on there before renders their faux offence at it laughable

I do a bit when it's prompted by a tactless remark from the most senior figure at our club, yeah.

• edited May 2022

I'll only worry if RC is also named in the starting lineup. This is an occasion where neither side need bulletin board material - Sunderland will be well up for it whether they are called a Netflix club or not. Both clubs and their fans are justifiably confident, as we have both seen our teams have very successful seasons.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

I do a bit when it's prompted by a tactless remark from the most senior figure at our club, yeah.

It's not fluffing Sunderland but it's hardly offensive, if he'd said we'll smash those dirty Mackems, Niall Quinn was a donkey and then signed off with Up the Toon I'd be embarrassed, but it's a light jibe at worst. I don't think any of the players could be any more motivated than they already will be for a play off final at Wembley no matter what off the field comments are said.

Almost everything Rob says has an eye on the wider non local, even non UK fan base, and to a fair few of them especially younger ones, Sunderland will be "the team from Netflix".

• Agree to disagree. I think it makes us look ridiculous and goes against the culture we've built under Ainsworth.

• But Sunderland do have a Netflix series. And when Netflix wanted to make a series about a third tier football club, they didn’t choose Cambridge United or Fleetwood Town, they chose Sunderland, because of course they did.

Formula One is a Netflix show, Theranos is a Netflix show, Sunderland are a Netflix show. This is not worth getting worked up about.

• edited May 2022

I think it’s a poorly chosen phrase and our PR adviser should have advised against using it in official club published material. It is open to interpretation and we are not normally a club to ‘diss’ our opponents publicly. Remember the point we made about treating MK with respect over the ticket allocation. That respect is important to us, surely?

However overall Rob, Pete and Missy have been fantastic for the club and we would be nowhere near this game without them. So let’s cut some slack and move on, it’s probably not meant as an insult, more as a mark of how famous they are.

Final point, watching the Super Bowl earlier this year I found it strange that they present the winners’ trophy immediately after the game to Stan Kroenke, owner of the Los Angeles Rams and interview him first on the podium - not to the quarterback or the coach. Different game over there I think?

Personally I think Chairmen of football clubs over here should refrain from too many comments, other than on the ‘business’ side of the football business.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

"Tactless remark" > @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

"Tactless remark> @ReturnToSenda said:

Agree to disagree. I think it makes us look ridiculous and goes against the culture we've built under Ainsworth.

I was more > @ReturnToSenda said:

Agree to disagree. I think it makes us look ridiculous and goes against the culture we've built under Ainsworth.

I think a key part of the culture that Ainsworth has built here is respect. Amd a person who refers to one of our players as a moron clearly hasn't bought into it.

• edited May 2022

@Watford_Blue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

"Tactless remark" > @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Oh brilliant

"Tactless remark> @ReturnToSenda said:

I was more > @ReturnToSenda said:

I think a key part of the culture that Ainsworth has built here is respect. Amd a person who refers to one of our players as a moron clearly hasn't bought into it.

Have you never made a slightly OTT remark in the heat of the moment? I'm also not the chairman of the football club (thank fuck). I'd move on if I were you.

• Of course I have. Just made me smile to see you having a go at anyone for making a tactless remark.

• I read this thread before reading Robs comments and thought he must have said something to cause the sky to collapse. If anyone can find something to be offended by in that comment, then they are looking to be offended.

I wasn't previously aware that Sunderland had made a Netflix show, but if that's what they have done then yes they are a Netflix show, as @floyd said, in the same way that Formula One is a Netflix show. If that's what Sunderland chose to do, or allowed to be done, then good for them. I hope they got well paid for it.

• Gentle advice is to take less time finding stuff on the Internet to get upset by ?

• And we've just sold 5,000 extra seats in our end to Newcastle fans. Job done!

• It is a cultural faux pas. Rob is a clever guy, he means well, but he isn’t English and he barely understands the fabric of football fandom in this country. Humour, banter, whatever you choose to call it is an incredibly nuanced thing and this has back fired.
    It is Robs train set, and sometimes he treats it as such (exhibit A fireworks). How do you put in place checks and balances into this set up is the question. Who has his ear? Who does he listen to and respect. Who is his or advisor? @glasshalffull perhaps time to have a quiet word?

• @Malone said:
    Gentle advice is to take less time finding stuff on the Internet to get upset by ?

Exactly, he should probably apologize, it was phrased badly, but our own fans blowing up the text on twitter and starting a pile on for likes helps nobody.

• Sunderland’s local paper , The Echo, have picked it up and called it an extraordinary and bizarre dig at Sunderland. So it’s not going away. Surprised our press office didn’t stop or perhaps amend the message before it went live.

• I can't believe so many are having conniptions over this instead of the fact that we're being forced to buy the crappiest seats first.

• @Watford_Blue said:
    Of course I have. Just made me smile to see you having a go at anyone for making a tactless remark.

Well to suggest I haven't bought into the respect element of the club culture would be inaccurate. Anyway, moving on...

• I think Rob meant it in a mostly complimentary way, its just not clear and badly worded. I think he is suggesting they are massive because they have a Netflix doc about them.

I'm sure they will take it as an insult, but given they call our team a bunch of rent-a-thug tinpot cheating hoofball wankers every day I don't really care.

• It’s pretty obvious from the context that he’s implying Sunderland are box office at this level (using the fact that they have a Netflix documentary series as evidence of their 'reach'). He then compares our 'potential', which he wants to galvanise by fans reaching out to family and friends, and by the interest shown by the 'world Wide Wanderers' thing he constantly promotes. Anyone who reads an insult into that is, frankly, looking for one. If he'd written "They are "just" a Netflix show", then that would be different - but he clearly didn't say that.