Skip to content

Rob's play-off final message

I admire his confidence, but at the same time... ? https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/may/10/rob-wembley/

Comments

• edited May 2022

Aaand I've just seen the line openly dissing Sunderland and now I am absolutely shitting it...

• I would act immediately if I was actually allowed to buy a ticket in the area I want to sit. But I can't.

• edited May 2022

Love the guy, but calling Sunderland a "Netflix show" isn't a great look. We'd be up in arms if their owner came out with something similar.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Love the guy, but calling Sunderland a "Netflix show" isn't a great look. We'd be up in arms if their owner came our with something similar.

Yeah, he's overstepped the mark there.

• I’m all for talking up our chances but to talk of Sunderland like that is very disrespectful.

The chairman is entitled to his opinion but this is really counterproductive and could backfire horribly.

• edited May 2022

Mind you, we'd be overstepping the mark if we win according to many in the EFL.

• edited May 2022

I can't believe the actual chairman has thought that would be an ok thing to say out in the open

• I don't think it's that bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Not even close to how we’re regularly described.

• Come on it’s not that bad. Hardly disrespecting them. But did he need to say it , no. Not smart from the Chairman.

• It’s his train set, not sure who has his ear that could moderate such a statement. Thought he was smarter than this.

• I feel it's Rob's attempt at rallying maximum support in a Churchill/King Henry V/Richard III sort of way. Better than Delia Smith by some distance though!

• He's trying to drum up interest, no harm in it!

• It was a stupid thing to say

• Not sure about the Netflix bit...but all intended to get us motivated I suppose. Won't be looking at the Sunderland forum for a bit. ?

• Chairmen should stay out of fan banter; it's really quite simple. I'm embarrassed.

• Surely one of the reasons this is so exciting is because Sunderland are such a huge club, with massive support a rich history?

To belittle them actually lessens the occasion for us, odd move.

Perhaps some cultural differences at play but you'd have hoped one of the media team might have challenged him on it. It's cringeworthy stuff

• Not great is it.

• I don't think it's actually meant as a massive slur though, I think he thinks he's just pointing out that they are big and well known.

• actually I've just re-read it and I think i got it wrong. I think he's making precisely the point that they are a massive club (ie they're such a big club they've had a tv series made about them) and that's why we'll not be fancied to win by most pundits.

I don't think it actually is a dig at them.

• edited May 2022

It is possible to read it that way I suppose, but it comes across as a slur to me.

• Stopped short of calling anyone a moron but only just.

• Is it that dissimilar to the fans who said Wycombe were like an "elephant stuck up a tree", which was plastered on the AP dressing room wall and regularly referenced in team talks and interviews, as recently as post-match on Sunday? It's a stupid comment which could make us look very, very silly.

• I dont get why calling them a Netflix football club is an insult.
    Netflix would need to be notoriously poor as a brand, or a simile for something being rubbish.

It’s one of the biggest and well known world brands, and Sunderland happen to actually have a documentary about them on it.

• I don’t think it is well judged in respect to the netflix comment. Encourage people to attend by all means. Promote our values, of course. Take a swipe at the opposition… hmmm. And I don’t read it as recognising them as a big club, more suggesting they have been bigged up by TV.

It takes a long time to really understand cultural differences and why what might be used to gain advantage in one culture will just not work in another. It’s not just recognising that a culture does something differently or responds in a certain way, it’s understanding why they do.

• I can already see the 'NETFLIX FOOTBALL TEAM' banner at the Stadium of Light next season. Bloody hell, Rob.

• @floyd said:
    Not even close to how we’re regularly described.

I have just read on the League One Facebook page that we are the most terrible team in the whole EFL and it’s a disgrace that we’re anywhere near Wembley, although admittedly that was a Sunderland fan.

• Let's not overhype this , it's one blokes opinion and it's debatable what he's getting at. Can't imagine most Sunderland fans will give a toss.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Let's not overhype this , it's one blokes opinion and it's debatable what he's getting at. Can't imagine most Sunderland fans will give a toss.

One look on Twitter and Sunderland forums would suggest otherwise. The "one bloke" is the club chairman, making an official statement on the official club website. It's pretty poor form and we wouldn't like it if it was the other way round.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not sure about the Netflix bit...but all intended to get us motivated I suppose. Won't be looking at the Sunderland forum for a bit. ?

It's mostly "That's the teamtalk done for us"