Skip to content

Wimbledon away sold out

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Plus a shot off target that hits the angle of bar and post is far better than one on target straight at the 'keeper...

Why, surely that is both too high and too wide.

• @mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Plus a shot off target that hits the angle of bar and post is far better than one on target straight at the 'keeper...

It's closer to going in

• And has a chance of rebounding to a teammate.

• edited April 2022

I too had the same reaction to the commentary for our first goal. I remember saying "That's rubbish" or something similar.
    I wonder if the guy who did the commentary had no context - ie didn't know the score or hadn't watched any of the game before he started doing the commentary - on top of either a bias towards Cambridge or a preconception that it was going to be an even game.
    Someone will know the method for doing the highlight commentaries I guess.

• Sometimes on the extended highlights you can hear someone sat next to the commentator, "commentating" on an entirely different match. Somewhere there's a massive call centre style room filled with people commentating on matches that they have no interest in, played by players that they know nothing about to an end result that they couldn't give a toss about. And it shows.

• @drcongo said:
    Sometimes on the extended highlights you can hear someone sat next to the commentator, "commentating" on an entirely different match. Somewhere there's a massive call centre style room filled with people commentating on matches that they have no interest in, played by players that they know nothing about to an end result that they couldn't give a toss about. And it shows.

I know this to be true. I know someone who worked in the open plan office which included an office which had the contract to do just that...blokes shouting into mikes watching highlights whilst pretending to be at the games.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    The commentator on the extended highlights the other night had the temerity to suggest that we were 'lucky' with the first goal, because the rebound off the post from Mehmeti's "screamer" (I heard it) fell directly into his path. He saw no bad luck, apparently, in that shot hitting the post and not going in to start with. It seemed amazing to me that the outcome of that shot and Vokes' quick thinking and quick feet could in any way be described as somehow Cambridge being unlucky to be a goal down.

Am I just biased?

I suppose there is a little luck that the ball came back to Vokes in a way he could easily shuffle and get it into the net, as opposed to the many, many other times we've seen the ball fly off out of reach.

But clearly, following the bad luck of hitting the post, and the outrageously bad luck of battering them and not being ahead to that point, massively overrride any luck with the fall of the ball!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's closer to going in

@drcongo said:
    And has a chance of rebounding to a teammate.

Unlike a shot at the goalkeeper? I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that in the history of football, more shots that have been straight at the goalkeeper have ended up in the back of the net in the same passage of play than shots at the angle of bar and post.

• @YorkExile said:
    Unlike a shot at the goalkeeper? I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that in the history of football, more shots that have been straight at the goalkeeper have ended up in the back of the net in the same passage of play than shots at the angle of bar and post.

The post is much less likely to catch it though.

@Wendoverman said:
    I know this to be true. I know someone who worked in the open plan office which included an office which had the contract to do just that...blokes shouting into mikes watching highlights whilst pretending to be at the games.

It's weird that dystopian fiction never predicted this.

• @drcongo said:

@YorkExile said:

The post is much less likely to catch it though.

@Wendoverman said:

It's weird that dystopian fiction never predicted this.

He said it was strange to see them leaping up and down giving it all the passion...and then quietly having a bite of their sandwich at the desk before starting the next one. This was in the early days of online 'content'.

• @YorkExile said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's closer to going in

@drcongo said:
    And has a chance of rebounding to a teammate.

Maybe @ReturnToSenda has a spare year to run some stats on this ;)

• @Malone said:
    The crumbling site won't let me reply on your actual post, @Steve_Peart but to your slightly grumpy comment about shots hitting the woodwork being off target...

So when one of our players unleashes a screamer of a shot (should it be called a screamer as there's no real scream?), you're simply sat there saying "well, he'll have to do better next time", instead of any semblance of thinking it slightly unlucky to be as little as a couple of inches from going in?

I was being a bit mischievous @Malone, I don't really think that, and of course we know that the rebound can be put into the net. However I do get a little irritated when people think a shot against the woodwork is on target.

Same when people get wrong the minute a goal is scored, as in they think a goal after 10 minutes 30 seconds is scored in the tenth minute. Yes, I am being grumpy!

• If there has ever been a goal scored from a rebound off the angle of bar and post, I would like to see it.

• edited April 2022

@Steve_Peart said:

@Malone said:
    The crumbling site won't let me reply on your actual post, @Steve_Peart but to your slightly grumpy comment about shots hitting the woodwork being off target...

So when one of our players unleashes a screamer of a shot (should it be called a screamer as there's no real scream?), you're simply sat there saying "well, he'll have to do better next time", instead of any semblance of thinking it slightly unlucky to be as little as a couple of inches from going in?

I was being a bit mischievous @Malone, I don't really think that, and of course we know that the rebound can be put into the net. However I do get a little irritated when people think a shot against the woodwork is on target.

Same when people get wrong the minute a goal is scored, as in they think a goal after 10 minutes 30 seconds is scored in the tenth minute. Yes, I am being grumpy!

Being a little bit of a fantasy footy player, I do find it annoying that a player will be marked down for a shot off the woodwork, with it treated in the same mixer as a shot punted miles over the bar.

Yet if the keeper saves their pen, they gain an on target stat!

• You can't say miles over the bar mate. Eric will be along with his tape measure.

• @drcongo said:
    You can't say miles over the bar mate. Eric will be along with his tape measure.

Even if I add "literally" in front of it ;)

• @drcongo said:
    You can't say miles over the bar mate. Eric will be along with his tape measure.

This is like an Aesop's fable, where the cleverer you think you are being the stupider you are proving yourself to be

• If we lose tomorrow, we can still win the league.

In terms of playoffs, nowhere near 'must won't territory yet and hopefully never will be. COYB!

• Win not won't

• @LX1 said:
    If we lose tomorrow, we can still win the league.

Well not if Wigan or MK win, but other than that…

• @eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:

This is like an Aesop's fable, where the cleverer you think you are being the stupider you are proving yourself to be

I hate to break it to you mate, but you're the one with trouble understanding words. Why haven't you named the five mistakes I made yet?

• @bookertease said:

@LX1 said:

Imagine the odds on us losing the next game, winning the next 4 after, and overtaking all those other teams. With Wigan getting no more than 1 point from 7 games.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:

Only if you’re talking about Danny Hylton’s penalty, then you would be factually correct.

• @Chris said:

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:

Only if you’re talking about Danny Hylton’s penalty, then you would be factually correct.

Has it docked with the ISS yet?

• Look we've had this discussion before...

WTF is the ISS?

• International Space Station?

• @micra said:
    International Space Station?

• Quite pleased/surprised to get that right. Without the aid of Google, too.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@LX1 said:

Imagine the odds on us losing the next game, winning the next 4 after, and overtaking all those other teams. With Wigan getting no more than 1 point from 7 games.

Best odds I can find are 4,500 to 1 for wycombe to win League One with Bet 365

• I just heard a reporter say that every game is a 'must win' game for Everton now as they are 'fighting for their lives'! I shall be writing a stiff letter to his bosses...