Skip to content

Wimbledon away sold out

Comments

• @drcongo said:

@mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    I've never, in my entire life, come across someone with so little comprehension of metaphor and figurative speech. For that person to then be the "who can say what" police is the absolute height of irony.

I'd say, at a brief glance you've misused about 5 terms there, if I am allowed to play that role

Name them.

Yeah, come on Eric. This is a must-win game for you now. I think we probably want @micra in here as ref though.

Just LOL.

• Would this be a bad time to talk about away kits?

• I think you're safe, Eric's gone into hiding.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Would this be a bad time to talk about away kits?

Is it away kit or change kit?

• When is a door not a door?

• I'm on Eric's side.

If "must win" doesn't actually mean "must win" what does it mean and why use the expression "must win" if, in fact, that's not what you mean?

• Why do we call an unbelievable goal from range a screamer when the ball isn't actually screaming?

• Why would the goal be unbelievable if it's actually just been scored?

• It's all so confusing. The goal doesn't even have any bins at the top.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited April 2022

This must win thing surely just depends upon your perspective. Must we win in order to maintain the pressure on the teams above us? Yes. Must we win in order to avoid relegation? No. Does my wife care one way or another - absolutely not, but she does have a 'must buy' list and I have a big problem understanding that imperative.

• Why is it called mustard when you don't have to have it with your dinner?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    I anticipate issues pre-match for this game, due to many people not sitting in their allocated seat.

Despite being a ST holder, I waited until general sale to buy a group of tickets, under the impression that at that point, there was no restrictions (within reason) on purchasing multiple tickets.

However, I was informed by the ticket office it was still one ticket per person.

With everyone being forced to buy individually, and allocated seating being enforced, a significant number of people will be sitting away from their friends and family.

Hopefully people can shuffle around mostly amicably.

When it's a sell out you have to stick with your actual seat don't you? Otherwise you just have carnage.

• @Twizz said:
    I'm on Eric's side.

If "must win" doesn't actually mean "must win" what does it mean and why use the expression "must win" if, in fact, that's not what you mean?

"A non stickler definition is that a must win game means a very important game".

Just for anyone who isn't being wilfully difficult :)

• Where are we with percentage effort these days?

Last I heard, the boys were putting in 1000%... As the season reaches its climax and game-winning gets more ‘musty’ I’d expect managers to be pushing this figure further.

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    I anticipate issues pre-match for this game, due to many people not sitting in their allocated seat.

Despite being a ST holder, I waited until general sale to buy a group of tickets, under the impression that at that point, there was no restrictions (within reason) on purchasing multiple tickets.

However, I was informed by the ticket office it was still one ticket per person.

With everyone being forced to buy individually, and allocated seating being enforced, a significant number of people will be sitting away from their friends and family.

Hopefully people can shuffle around mostly amicably.

When it's a sell out you have to stick with your actual seat don't you? Otherwise you just have carnage.

Most people are sensible, but there's always the inconsiderate arseholes who roll in a minute before kick-off and cause a scene - always seems to happen at Oxford.

• Oh good work. I can’t resist this thread…

Surely calling something ‘must win’ is surely the prerogative of whoever calls it. For everyone else we don’t know the context. I might say, for example, that the game against Doncaster last week was a ‘must win’ whereas Cambridge was a ‘yea not losing would be good’. For me personally they are accurate pre-match sentiments.

Being really literal I would say that the only actual ‘must win’ game in our history was Torquay as that was probably the one game that could have led to the non-existence of our club.

• edited April 2022

@Malone said:

@Twizz said:
    I'm on Eric's side.

"A non stickler definition is that a must win game means a very important game".

If that's the case what do you call a game that we actually "must win"?

A ) A "must must win"?
    B ) A "literally must win"?
    C ) A "must not lose"?

I've given this 150% of my attention ...

• edited April 2022

There is one I do hate actually: "denied by the woodwork"

Are inanimate objects capable of denying...?

But again, it's just another cliché and I'm sure I've written it countless times myself.

• What are "early doors"?

• Break on Through (To the Other Side), Light My Fire, stuff like that...

• How many must win games can you not win and still get promoted?

• I can't believe you don't actually get 6 points for winning a six pointer, the woodwork is usually metal and there is no onion bag. And how is a scout supposed to recommend a striker when they haven't literally seen them hit a cows backside with a banjo.

• @drcongo said:

@mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    I've never, in my entire life, come across someone with so little comprehension of metaphor and figurative speech. For that person to then be the "who can say what" police is the absolute height of irony.

I'd say, at a brief glance you've misused about 5 terms there, if I am allowed to play that role

Name them.

Yeah, come on Eric. This is a must-win game for you now. I think we probably want @micra in here as ref though.

As things stand the only game which can reasonably be described as ‘a must win game’ is one in which three points will make it impossible mathematically for any of the other playoff contenders to prevent us from reaching/staying in a playoff position.

I’d like to think that we will have played that game before we travel to Burton Upon Trent or that at least the Burton encounter will only be a ‘must draw’ game.

• 'A must win' comes from the old Norman phrase 'A'mus T'win', later adopted into French as 'Amuse De'uine', from where we get our modern English word 'amuse'. The phrase originated with William the Conquerer in 1065, as he spoke of his impending invasion of England. Some of his court denied that the invasion was A'mus T'win, insisting that as King Harold had two home games back to back, he would have some difficult away matches later in the season, and Will could afford a draw.

Glad I could clear that up.

• @Twizz said:
    What are "early doors"?

Opposite of late knockings.

• @Twizz said:

@Malone said:

@Twizz said:
    I'm on Eric's side.

If that's the case what do you call a game that we actually "must win"?

A ) A "must must win"?
    B ) A "literally must win"?
    C ) A "must not lose"?

I've given this 150% of my attention ...

The must win umbrella covers the whole gamut.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

But again, it's just another cliché and I'm sure I've written it countless times myself.

Yes they are, even in their absence.

I was denied for lack of a 'sheath' at a wedding once. I pleaded it wasn't a must have, but she was adamant.

• @Twizz said:
    What are "early doors"?

The greatest ever sitcom.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

It always annoys me to hear commentators say he was unlucky to hit the woodwork. It was a shot off target, do better next time.

As for "denied by the woodwork", that suggests it is an animate object which bent inwards to block an on target shot.

• @micra said:

@drcongo said:

@mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:

Name them.

As things stand the only game which can reasonably be described as ‘a must win game’ is one in which three points will make it impossible mathematically for any of the other playoff contenders to prevent us from reaching/staying in a playoff position.

I’d like to think that we will have played that game before we travel to Burton Upon Trent or that at least the Burton encounter will only be a ‘must draw’ game.

POTD