Skip to content

Wimbledon away sold out

Comments

• And there was me thinking you'd come with evidence for the five grammatical errors you claimed I'd made.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    See what you've started, @MindlessDrugHoover...

• @drcongo said:
    And there was me thinking you'd come with evidence for the five grammatical errors you claimed I'd made.

I didn't make any such claim. Grammatically, your post was perfect. Fairly basic error for someone with such a sophisticated understanding of the nuance of language to have made.

• @Malone said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    I anticipate issues pre-match for this game, due to many people not sitting in their allocated seat.

Despite being a ST holder, I waited until general sale to buy a group of tickets, under the impression that at that point, there was no restrictions (within reason) on purchasing multiple tickets.

However, I was informed by the ticket office it was still one ticket per person.

With everyone being forced to buy individually, and allocated seating being enforced, a significant number of people will be sitting away from their friends and family.

Hopefully people can shuffle around mostly amicably.

When it's a sell out you have to stick with your actual seat don't you? Otherwise you just have carnage.

The trouble is it only takes a handful of people wanting to stand in a different area to then cause a ripple effect that means everything goes to shit.

It will be made worse by most people just scanning their phone rather than having a paper ticket. Having a physical ticket at least allowed people to swap them and trade places.

Really there should have been a block or two designated as ‘singers section’ or whatever to allow people that want to stand to cluster together a bit.

• Whilst acknowledging that the phrase ‘must win’ is often applied in a casual rather than literal manner, it has become one of those irritating football cliches along with ‘tactically naive’, ‘lost the dressing room’,
    ‘no plan B’ etc. A simple amendment to ‘literally a must win game’ would surely clear up any confusion.

• Painful couple of minutes....

• Is a 'cultured left foot' actually particularly cultured? Does it go to the opera, read Proust and drink expensive wine? And why is it always left feet that are cultured, never right ones? Seems a bit sinister.

• @eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    And there was me thinking you'd come with evidence for the five grammatical errors you claimed I'd made.

I didn't make any such claim. Grammatically, your post was perfect. Fairly basic error for someone with such a sophisticated understanding of the nuance of language to have made.

Still waiting.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Is a 'cultured left foot' actually particularly cultured? Does it go to the opera, read Proust and drink expensive wine? And why is it always left feet that are cultured, never right ones? Seems a bit sinister.

Underrated final sentence there. Bravo.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Is a 'cultured left foot' actually particularly cultured? Does it go to the opera, read Proust and drink expensive wine? And why is it always left feet that are cultured, never right ones? Seems a bit sinister.

Funnily enough, I’m in the GP waiting room, sockless in sandals, waiting to have my right foot examined. As far as I know, there are no cultures (eg athlete’s foot) present which might justify calling it cultured.

I suppose the application of ‘cultured’ to left feet, almost exclusively (?), reflects the predominance of right handed/footed people. Players with cultured left feet probably attract higher transfer fees and wages than predominantly right footed players on the basis of rarity and supply v demand. And truly two footed players……

• edited April 2022

Aren't all players truly two-footed? Wouldn't be particularly effective with one.

• @glasshalffull said:
    A simple amendment to ‘literally a must win game’ would surely clear up any confusion.

Nooooo….far too dangerous, given the amount of people who often use “literally” to mean “metaphorically”. Things like, “I literally laughed my head off”, which would probably make it quite hard to either speak or write.

• @eric_plant said:

@micra said:

@drcongo said:

@mooneyman said:

@eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:
    I've never, in my entire life, come across someone with so little comprehension of metaphor and figurative speech. For that person to then be the "who can say what" police is the absolute height of irony.

I'd say, at a brief glance you've misused about 5 terms there, if I am allowed to play that role

Name them.

Yeah, come on Eric. This is a must-win game for you now. I think we probably want @micra in here as ref though.

As things stand the only game which can reasonably be described as ‘a must win game’ is one in which three points will make it impossible mathematically for any of the other playoff contenders to prevent us from reaching/staying in a playoff position.

I’d like to think that we will have played that game before we travel to Burton Upon Trent or that at least the Burton encounter will only be a ‘must draw’ game.

POTD

Thanks for that @eric_plant. Brought a smile to my face in the doctor’s waiting room.

• @PBo said:

@glasshalffull said:
    A simple amendment to ‘literally a must win game’ would surely clear up any confusion.

Nooooo….far too dangerous, given the amount of people who often use “literally” to mean “metaphorically”. Things like, “I literally laughed my head off”, which would probably make it quite hard to either speak or write.

You literally took the words right out of my mouth.

• @PBo said:

@glasshalffull said:

This drives me round the bend as well.

• @Glenactico said:

@PBo said:

@glasshalffull said:

Literally?

• This is so cruel. Imagine how confused Eric is right now.

• The fellow in the QPR (?) kit in the headline photo looks as if his right leg might be in a bit of bother. And it seems strange that a penalty is awarded if the goalkeeper uses his/her residual leg to make a save.

So we now know that @ReturnToSenda’s point about all players being two-footed is neither literally nor metaphorically true. We sometimes describe particular players as ‘very one footed’ but definitely not of course if he or she is an amputee. And very few players at our level are very one footed.

• Maradona is the greatest footballer I have ever seen. He barely used his right foot.

In fact, if you watch his famous solo goal vs England from the '86 World Cup he only touches the ball with his left foot for the entire time he takes possession of the ball on around the the halfway line

• And for the first goal he only touches it with his left hand

• ha ha very true

• @ReturnToSenda said:

You literally took the words right out of my mouth.

That will teach you not to offer your throat to the wolf with red roses.

• edited April 2022

The crumbling site won't let me reply on your actual post, @Steve_Peart but to your slightly grumpy comment about shots hitting the woodwork being off target...

So when one of our players unleashes a screamer of a shot (should it be called a screamer as there's no real scream?), you're simply sat there saying "well, he'll have to do better next time", instead of any semblance of thinking it slightly unlucky to be as little as a couple of inches from going in?

• edited April 2022

Plus a shot off target that hits the angle of bar and post is far better than one on target straight at the 'keeper...

• edited April 2022

The commentator on the extended highlights the other night had the temerity to suggest that we were 'lucky' with the first goal, because the rebound off the post from Mehmeti's "screamer" (I heard it) fell directly into his path. He saw no bad luck, apparently, in that shot hitting the post and not going in to start with. It seemed amazing to me that the outcome of that shot and Vokes' quick thinking and quick feet could in any way be described as somehow Cambridge being unlucky to be a goal down.

Am I just biased?

• no, @LeedsBlue . I had exactly the same response.

• @Glenactico said:

@PBo said:

@glasshalffull said:

Be careful or you will end up in a vicious circle

• No, that's madness @LeedsBlue. I actually thought it a better goal because of it, the speed of Vokes' reaction was amazing.