Skip to content

Doncaster game dedicated to celebrating Bayo

Comments

• I know Bayo is getting old, but he is a legitimate rotation option, not a fan who won a competition to be a Wycombe player for the day. He would have scored as many as Vokes if he had started every game.

• Wycombe would not have as many points though

• @eric_plant said:
    Wycombe would not have as many points though

I agree! Vokes brings far more than just goals. However, I think Bayo can spot him for a game without fear.

• @Shev said:
    I know Bayo is getting old, but he is a legitimate rotation option, not a fan who won a competition to be a Wycombe player for the day. He would have scored as many as Vokes if he had started every game.

We couldn't know for sure, but Bayo scored 8 and 10 the 2 seasons we had in league 1 recently. Vokes is on 12 so far, with 7 games left, so probably ends around 15.

Bayo has done well to get 5 this season, but I'm not sure he'd have been matching Vokes to be honest.

But your point about how he's certainly more than capable of starting games is valid.
    Although it'd probably have been / be best for it to be midweek, to break Vokes's games up a bit better than the weekend.

• @Malone - point taken, but when you look at Bayo's strike rate (almost twice as good as Vokes) and the fact he has scored 4 league goals while barely playing outside of sub appearances, I don't think it is unreasonable to think he would get close to Vokes' tally (albeit starting would mean playing against defences that were not yet tired) with the service of the likes of McLeary, Horgan, Mehmeti and Hanlan and what is at least on paper a stronger team than the previous two L1 iterations. This side has created more chances and goals to begin with, scoring 1.32 goals per game in 19/20, while we are at 1.58 goals per game this season.

Either way, I understand concerns over timing, but we are bringing in someone who still very much has enough about him to cause havoc.

• The Donny fans are crapping themselves at the thought of Bayo starting. They think their defenders have no idea how to play him.

• edited April 2022

I think I was being a bit grumpy about the guard of honour, I just don't want Bayo to get the backlash if we don't win from the minority of goons who don't need any excuse

• If we don't beat Doncaster it won't be because the club set some time aside to celebrate Bayo's achievements with us and generally throughout his career, it will be because we didn't have enough on the pitch on the day. Not sure why the two can't be separated, it isn't a distraction.

I even saw quotes from Bayo himself saying that 3 points are what are most important tomorrow.

• If the boot were on the other foot you could bet your bottom dollar that Gaz's team talk would be "look at this lot, they think the game's such a formality they've turned it into a testimonial"

I don't know why you'd give them the chance to use it in their favour if I'm honest

• I must admit I am starting to see the possible disadvantages highlighted by @ReturnToSenda and @eric_plant . I can see the logic that our last two home games are vitally important and do not need the distraction, but as has been pointed out...anything being perceived as a possibly easier three points is a bit dangerous in this League.

• Looking forward to tomorrow having just listened to some of the tributes from last nights Wycombe Sounds show.

Might be misunderstanding but I don't think the celebrations were set up because we were playing an easier team? It's just a late season but not last game Saturday match.

It'll be a tough match tomorrow and anyone thinking otherwise will only have themselves to blame.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Looking forward to tomorrow having just listened to some of the tributes from last nights Wycombe Sounds show.

Might be misunderstanding but I don't think the celebrations were set up because we were playing an easier team? It's just a late season but not last game Saturday match.

It'll be a tough match tomorrow and anyone thinking otherwise will only have themselves to blame.

True - and we also are playing one of Bayo's old clubs, so that may have played into it.

For what it's worth, I don't expect him to start - I think he comes on for Vokes as usual, which will be better for a rousing reception anyway.

• I like the glorious cynicism that one gasroomer suggested.
    That they picked this game because it'll be the lowest attended of the last 3 home games!

• edited April 2022

I am just annoyed the other Gareth did not select him for the Cote d'Ivoire friendly (assuming Bayo would have chosen England over Nigeria). If ever there was a perfect match to bring him on for, with nothing at stake...

• Just read the back page of the BFP

"Out of his 194 EFL goals Akinfenwa scored his first four goals coincidentally against Doncaster in a sixth month spell back in 2004, where he played nine times for the Yorkshire side"

@micra would be laundering his breeks over this horrible wording.
    Putting to one side "sixth" instead of six, the above implies that he scored 4 goals against Doncaster when playing for them!

• @Malone said:
    Just read the back page of the BFP

"Out of his 194 EFL goals Akinfenwa scored his first four goals coincidentally against Doncaster in a sixth month spell back in 2004, where he played nine times for the Yorkshire side"

Putting to one side "sixth" instead of six, the above implies that he scored 4 goals against Doncaster when playing for them!

That sounds like the work of James Richings ... Not going to waste my time checking though :-)

• How is it possible that every single BFP article has more typos, inaccuracies, dangling participles and just plain nonsense than 99% of the posts on the Gasroom?

• @drcongo said:
    How is it possible that every single BFP article has more typos, inaccuracies, dangling participles and just plain nonsense than 99% of the posts on the Gasroom?

Because most Gasroomers (sic) went to school sometime in the 20th century when spelling and grammar were important?

• @Malone said:

Evening @Malone. Our wonderful local ‘convenience’ shop delivered two BFPs today but not mrs micra’s (ahem) Daily Mail so I have no excuse not to have read the back page but after last week’s shambles I decided not to bother. It’s virtually always stuff we’ve already read on line in any case.

Bayo wasn’t with us in 2004 or even 2014 of course.

• Every human being is unique, but even having said that, we are seeing the end of a couple of special, unique careers in Blooms and Bayo. Just gutted Blooms can't get his send off after all those years. Maybe the ref gives us a 30 second warning before the final whistle to bring him on if we ever have a dead rubber? Still too risky, I know.

• edited April 2022

@micra said:

@Malone said:

Evening @Malone. Our wonderful local ‘convenience’ shop delivered two BFPs today but not mrs micra’s (ahem) Daily Mail so I have no excuse not to have read the back page but after last week’s shambles I decided not to bother. It’s virtually always stuff we’ve already read on line in any case.

Bayo wasn’t with us in 2004 or even 2014 of course.

Surprisingly, they got the harder part of the sentence right - the total of league goals. Having had to ignore the foreign league goals, and 1 goal in England in 2003/04 that was not in the league.

But inexplicably struggled to relay the simple sentiments of "Bayo scored the first four of his 194 English football league goals for Doncaster, the team that Wycombe face this weekend".> @tom_doust said:

@Malone said:

That sounds like the work of James Richings ... Not going to waste my time checking though :-)

I've not seen as much of this sort of nonsense from him, and in fairness to him he does engage with the Wycombe fan pages.
    But the kid before him was woeful, almost every article had glaring mistakes.

Yes they may not have an official proof reader etc, but surely the job of writing such articles is having them make sense and read correctly?!

• The club have since deleted the tweet, but you can get a £30 Beast Mode t-shirt to go with your £12 burger today!

• What is this £12 burger talk? Some sort of multi decked version to honour Bayo or some nonsense?

£7 was already seen as ludicrous wasn't it?

• @Malone said:
    What is this £12 burger talk? Some sort of multi decked version to honour Bayo or some nonsense?

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/march/31/special-bayo-beast-burger-available-from-hellfire-bbq/

• Beautiful.
    A few burgers, a couple of t shirts and a nice win.
    Although I'll still park for free a mile away as I'm tight like that ;)

• @Malone said:
    What is this £12 burger talk? Some sort of multi decked version to honour Bayo or some nonsense?

If you watch the video of Will Hall (?) discussing the recipe with Bayo you will see that it’s pretty massive. I’m not a burger person (nor mrs micra) but £12 did sound a bit on the high side. Having said that, try getting a healthy well cooked main course in a pub or restaurant for less than £12-£15 and you’ll be doing well. Let’s hope people find the Beast Burger an absolute treat and an important part of their Bayo Day experience.

• edited April 2022

My point is no food at the football, gimmicky special edition or not, should cost remotely that much. But I should also remember that we're not a family club anymore.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    My point is no food at the football, gimmicky special edition or not, should cost remotely that much. But I should also remember that we're not a family club anymore.

Got a lot of down votes... but true.... 12 quid for a burger !? You wouldn't pay that in a restaurant never mind a cold carpark

• I presume he's getting downvoted for the second sentence over the first, despite that also being very true too. You're not a fan any more, you're a customer. Or a subscriber.

• edited April 2022

@HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Got a lot of down votes... but true.... 12 quid for a burger !? You wouldn't pay that in a restaurant never mind a cold carpark

I might tbf! But then I'd also be paying for the setting etc.