Skip to content

Doncaster game dedicated to celebrating Bayo

Comments

• Akinfenwa’s last touch of the ball in professional football came at Wembley in 2022. A header into the top right corner of the Oxford goal in the 98th minute that sealed a 2-1 victory and promotion to the Championship for Wycombe.

In the years since Akinfenwa has gone on to star alongside the Rock and Jason Statham in the Hobbs and Shaw film franchise whilst remaining at Wycombe as the club’s motivational coach. He is widely credited as a key part of Wycombe’s FA cup winning season where his half time talk to the team reportedly inspired their comeback from 3-1 down against Liverpool in the semi-final. As Wycombe begin their third season in the Premier League, Akinfenwa will again be alongside Gareth Ainsworth on the touch line. Chants of “Beast” from his many fans will no doubt ring round Adams Park several times during each match.

• Nice erm, time travelling there @manboobs.

That or raiding LX's secret stash.

• For a moment there I thought I'd missed something @Manboobs

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Wait a second, are people seriously suggesting that Gaz might start Bayo over Vokes out of sentiment?

Start or come on as a final minute sentimental sub instead of using it as for a better options to go for a winner/shore up a defence would be as equally questionable in my eyes

Also, Bayo started games this season ahead of Vokes, no?
    He also started and scored against Doncaster in the game earlier in the season.

I can certainly see him being picked and Vokes “rested”.

He has, but he won't start unless Vokes is unavailable. And Gaz wouldn't make a 'sentimental sub' when there's so much riding on the game - he's a top bloke (as is Bayo), but the greater good comes first!

You and I would hope so!

This is why I intensely hate these sort of promotional games celebrating a player. It’s kind of implicit that they have to be involved one way or the other - whether tactically it’s the best option - just so the game isn’t being advertised, almost, on false pretences.

Which I hate even more in this case because Bayo has been an absolute servant to the club. The timing of this sort of event - in what could be a defining moment in our season - absolutely sucks.

Should have been an out of season testimonial type game or the first game of the season - first step on the last journey or some whatever they are calling it.

• This may come across as controversial, but should we not celebrate him at the end of the season instead of when our focus lies elsewhere?

• Bayo gets game and destroys promotion push. God Almighty people already moaning about things that haven't even happened?

• Last time we played Doncaster Bayo started and scored.

• Last time we played Doncaster Bayo started and scored.

• Minutes per goal:

Vokes 268
    Bayo: 141

I won't be upset if Bayo gets the start. (And to clarify, I think Vokes has been utterly superb).

• @floyd said:
    Last time we played Doncaster Bayo started and scored.

He's started and scored on last two occasions we've played them actually. So it's fitting that you've posted that message twice!

• @TheDancingYak said:

@micra said:
    You’re right @TheDancingYak. There were reservations. Don’t recall any fear though!

As someone who comes across as a bit of a Wordie, I would have thought you could recognise that the words can have several meanings. I’m sure there were several people that feared it would have been a useless signing, rather than actually being afraid of him.

Correct, @TheDancingYak. I can indeed detect subtle nuances, provided the context gives a clue. In your original post, you related ‘fear’ not to the possibility that Bayo might prove to be a poor signing but, as you worded it, to fear of Bayo himself. Of course, I guessed what you meant but I seized the opportunity to react to what I am absolutely sure was an unintentionally ambiguous phrase.

• @WanderingDays said:

@floyd said:
    Last time we played Doncaster Bayo started and scored.

He's started and scored on last two occasions we've played them actually. So it's fitting that you've posted that message twice!

Ha! Exactly my plan.

• I see no issue with our squad giving him a clap and handshake as he makes his way to the subs bench.
    It's really a minor thing and something the club do well. Hopefully he manages to get on the pitch.

• I think he'll start. It's arguably our 'easiest' of the run in. Bayo destroyed Doncaster in the away fixture inside 30 mins. We all know what Bayo can do in front of the terrace in big moments.

• edited March 2022

Dedicate a game to him, of course, but this is a must-win league match and it's starting to feel like a testimonial.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Dedicate a game to him, of course, but this is a must-win league match and it's starting to feel like a testimonial.

It's clever marketing from the club. Flogging the least appetising home fixture left this season as part of a 'Bayo' package. The Sheff Wed & Plymouth fixtures will sell themselves. Ainsworth knows the importance of every fixture. I'm sure he won't be fazed by the occasion surrounding it. Let's get behind the team whatever the line up.

• Bayo slots home a sitter, Donnys keeper rips off his shirt revealing a Beast Mode logo and runs towards the documentary cameras….. or was that Pele’s ‘1,000th’ goal?

• Come on @ReturnToSenda it's a bit of fun...not the end of the world as we know it, the way one rich bloke slapping another rich bloke on telly is.

• Lionel Richey arrives by helicopter and lobs a ball from half way into the box. Bayo flicks it on to Diana Ross who miss hits her shot wide bit Bayo following up slides the ball home at the far post.
    NB: There are no wrong ideas in a brain storm session

• Save it for the last home game

• @frequentstander said:
    I think he'll start. It's arguably our 'easiest' of the run in. Bayo destroyed Doncaster in the away fixture inside 30 mins. We all know what Bayo can do in front of the terrace in big moments.

If this was where the Cambridge game is, I'd think it a no brainer he started.
    But being the first game after a 2 week break, it feels less wise.

We'll see though.

7 games left, all critical, rotation should probably be for necessity rather than morale/rests any of that.
    They could have 2months off very soon!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Save it for the last home game

I was thinking back to Steve Brown's last game, away at Peterboro.
    Bayo's last game, v Burton will arguably be that, and then some.

We must have had loads of huge servants have last games before of course, but it's not always planned that way. They either get sold, or released.

Like with Jason Cousins. His last appearance was coming off injured, and due to the emergence of Roger Johnson, he was released at the end of the season.

• Practically all the DRFC fans on here seem to think it’s a home banker, which makes me nervous…

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=284529.0

• Didn't realise there's going to be a documentary crew there

• @PBo said:
    Practically all the DRFC fans on here seem to think it’s a home banker, which makes me nervous…

https://www.drfc-vsc.co.uk/index.php?topic=284529.0

If I was one of their fans I would too...but yes...never a good thing for the 'favourites'!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Save it for the last home game

So, this game is important and you don't expect the last game to be?

I'll probably pass on the £12 tribute burger but let the man have his fun and the club get their likes and engagement, none of it will be to blame if we don't win. Not unless the squad are allowed near those burgers.

• edited March 2022

@StrongestTeam Every game's important, but at least get the timing right - this isn't farewell yet, that might even come at Wembley... (admittedly a GOH would be a bit difficult at the play-off final).

• £12 for food at the footy is an absolute insult btw