Skip to content

Doncaster game dedicated to celebrating Bayo

Comments

• Here's a challenge for the club...

Akinfenwa has scored 212 career goals apparently. Find video footage of all of them, stitch it together. Make it four seconds per goal, 14 minutes in total, perfect watching on the big screen at half time.

• Wonder if Bayo will start this one. With 7 games left and a packed April he's got a good shout of starting a couple, but maybe not the first one with a 2 week break?

Good to see the tributes start in earnest. The dream finish is still within us!

• Someone get Tom Brady on the phone.

• Honestly, we should be trying to persuade him to give us another season. He's still really good

• Not gonna happen, his knee's knackered

• I want him to have the biggest celebration imaginable. Parades. Parties. Fly pasts. Coldplay concerts. Unveiling statues. Speeches from former US presidents (the nice ones not the psychopathic ones). The works. But the game is still massive and not really one to distract from.
    Grump grump grump

• Coldplay concert? Wasn't that a tactic used to try and get Aln Smth to resign?

• What on earth has the Gasroom done to my censoring of that bald bar steward's name?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    What on earth has the Gasroom done to my censoring of that bald bar steward's name?

[dull nerditry alert, but you did ask]

I believe that if you put any content in between asterisks, then it puts the relevant text in italics, but doesn't show the asterisks themselves.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Coldplay concert? Wasn't that a tactic used to try and get Aln Smth to resign?

Brought a cold shiver there for a second.

Memories of Smith trying to claim taking a team who had just missed the playoffs into midtable mediocrity, having spent relatively loads, was a good outcome.

Appearing on the end of season video looking utterly disheveled as if he'd come straight in from a long razz takes some forgetting too.

• @PBo said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    What on earth has the Gasroom done to my censoring of that bald bar steward's name?

[dull nerditry alert, but you did ask]

I believe that if you put any content in between asterisks, then it puts the relevant text in italics, but doesn't show the asterisks themselves.

Indeed. You can escape the italicising by preceding the asterisks with a backslash - \*, so Al\*n Sm\*th produces Al*n Sm*th

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I want him to have the biggest celebration imaginable. Parades. Parties. Fly pasts. Coldplay concerts. Unveiling statues. Speeches from former US presidents (the nice ones not the psychopathic ones). The works. But the game is still massive and not really one to distract from.
    Grump grump grump

I am going to start by saying I hope I am wrong but think I am with you on this one.

With such few games left in the season and a real chance to push on and back into the playoffs this could end up as a huge vanity project that could derail our season.

Do we start him and reduce the obvious threat we have had with Vokes going forward. Do we wait till the last 20 mins and bring him on? Is he likely the man to get a equaliser/winner at the clutch of a game these days?

I really like the guy. He has been a huge breath of fresh air since he joined the club and should have dispelled any fears anyone had of him when he joined to be one of our best and most influential players in our League history, but we have a promotion to go for above all else, haven’t we?

• edited March 2022

Wait a second, are people seriously suggesting that Gaz might start Bayo over Vokes out of sentiment?

• I imagine Bayo will be on the bench and come on either if we are comfortable, or if we are chasing a goal

• @eric_plant said:
    Honestly, we should be trying to persuade him to give us another season. He's still really good

Da Real Akinfenwa don’t dither @eric_plant !

• You’re right @TheDancingYak. There were reservations. Don’t recall any fear though!

• Personally I would rather have the traditional lap of honour* and then a testimonial for Matt B and Bayo. Yeah I know the financials would have to be sorted out as he hasn't made the requisite games etc etc but I am sure that could be resolved.

*At Wembley in front of 26,000 Wycombe fans with the trophy held aloft as Lewington weeps into the turf in the background.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub Have you accounted for the boycotters in that scenario?

• As long as he doesn't get substituted on the 20th minute with players making a tunnel of applause, a la John Terry... then I'm happy with whatever the club are doing to mark his phenomenal impact.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    @TheAndyGrahamFanClub Have you accounted for the boycotters in that scenario?

Feels like you're almost desperate for it to happen

• Would be funny, but I think MK will go up automatically

• like the home game in January was funny? What an utterly stupid post.

• edited March 2022

@our_frank said:
    like the home game in January was funny? What an utterly stupid post.

What an utterly stupid reaction. Funny because fans would actually deny themselves the opportunity to watch their own team at Wembley.

• Hilarious.

• @our_frank said:
    Hilarious.

Well it's your choice

• This doesn't strike me as particularly respectful of people whose opinions differ to yours.

• Are you talking about @our_frank or @ReturnToSenda? Could be either here really.

• edited March 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Wait a second, are people seriously suggesting that Gaz might start Bayo over Vokes out of sentiment?

Start or come on as a final minute sentimental sub instead of using it as for a better options to go for a winner/shore up a defence would be as equally questionable in my eyes

Also, Bayo started games this season ahead of Vokes, no?
    He also started and scored against Doncaster in the game earlier in the season.

I can certainly see him being picked and Vokes “rested”.

• @micra said:
    You’re right @TheDancingYak. There were reservations. Don’t recall any fear though!

As someone who comes across as a bit of a Wordie, I would have thought you could recognise that the words can have several meanings. I’m sure there were several people that feared it would have been a useless signing, rather than actually being afraid of him.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Start or come on as a final minute sentimental sub instead of using it as for a better options to go for a winner/shore up a defence would be as equally questionable in my eyes

Also, Bayo started games this season ahead of Vokes, no?
    He also started and scored against Doncaster in the game earlier in the season.

I can certainly see him being picked and Vokes “rested”.

He has, but he won't start unless Vokes is unavailable. And Gaz wouldn't make a 'sentimental sub' when there's so much riding on the game - he's a top bloke (as is Bayo), but the greater good comes first!