Skip to content

Loan watch

Is there a way to stick this at the top of the homepage with the ex-players thread? Thought it was about time we had one!

Anyway, I see Tjay impressed on debut for Eastleigh despite getting booked six mins after coming on.

«13

Comments

  • I think it should be pinned now. I enjoyed the update in the latest RtB on our various players out on loan.

  • Good idea

  • I'd love to know what the thought process is behind the choice of loan destination. Are those on loan in the Conference more likely to feature for us long term and those below the Conference less likely? Has Connor Parsons earned a loan to top end Conference teams because he's got the most potential? Or is there more to it than that?

  • Parsons is an interesting one. Impressed a few people who saw him in the pizza pie cup, scored a cracking goal against Villa before that game went tits up. Although I thought he looked light weight - classic U-23’s - fast skilful but lacking ‘edge’. Wondered if the Notts County loan was to toughen him up / see if he could cut it in the man’s game? Lack of appearances and prompt return to parent club has perhaps answered that one. Tonight’s got that classic “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?” about it, for him and no doubt a few others playing for their contracts.

  • Parsons won't be there tonight - Bromley have a game.

  • “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

  • @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

  • Parsons is the one I’m most excited about at the moment. He caught Covid at Notts County so I’m not sure we’ve learnt too much about him so far.

  • @Shev said:

    @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

    Used to be a great place for a pub crawl, loads of em ! Not sure what it's like these days

  • Parsons on the bench for Bromley v Stockport

  • No idea why this thread won’t stay stuck at the top.

  • @drcongo said:
    No idea why this thread won’t stay stuck at the top.

    Its as transient as its subject

  • @HolmerBlue said:

    @Shev said:

    @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

    Used to be a great place for a pub crawl, loads of em ! Not sure what it's like these days

    Not sure what era you are referring to, but as someone who turned 18 in 2008, I'd say much sparser unfortunately.

    Some closed down, like the Two Brewers. Others have been converted into restaurants like The Black Horse (owned by Raymond Blanc), Star & Garter (now an indian) and The Old Trout (now The Thatch).

    You'll be lucky to find anywhere there that will serve you a pint after about 11.30 these days too.

  • During the 1980's and early 90's and before the relaxed licensing hours. The Thame show would take place on a weekday and serve alcohol all day. There was a dramatic decrease in attendee's in the furniture factories on those days. And with a thriving 'Monday' club it often meant a two or three day week on those occasions.

  • @OxfordBlue said:

    @HolmerBlue said:

    @Shev said:

    @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

    Used to be a great place for a pub crawl, loads of em ! Not sure what it's like these days

    Not sure what era you are referring to, but as someone who turned 18 in 2008, I'd say much sparser unfortunately.

    Some closed down, like the Two Brewers. Others have been converted into restaurants like The Black Horse (owned by Raymond Blanc), Star & Garter (now an indian) and The Old Trout (now The Thatch).

    You'll be lucky to find anywhere there that will serve you a pint after about 11.30 these days too.

    I'm going back to the 80's

  • @HolmerBlue said:

    @OxfordBlue said:

    @HolmerBlue said:

    @Shev said:

    @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

    Used to be a great place for a pub crawl, loads of em ! Not sure what it's like these days

    Not sure what era you are referring to, but as someone who turned 18 in 2008, I'd say much sparser unfortunately.

    Some closed down, like the Two Brewers. Others have been converted into restaurants like The Black Horse (owned by Raymond Blanc), Star & Garter (now an indian) and The Old Trout (now The Thatch).

    You'll be lucky to find anywhere there that will serve you a pint after about 11.30 these days too.

    I'm going back to the 80's

    Sounds like a very good idea.

  • @HolmerBlue said:

    @OxfordBlue said:

    @HolmerBlue said:

    @Shev said:

    @HolmerBlue said:
    “yes but can he do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Thame?

    What a fantastic new saying for all blues fans !

    There can be few better places to seek your fortune than Thame.

    Used to be a great place for a pub crawl, loads of em ! Not sure what it's like these days

    Not sure what era you are referring to, but as someone who turned 18 in 2008, I'd say much sparser unfortunately.

    Some closed down, like the Two Brewers. Others have been converted into restaurants like The Black Horse (owned by Raymond Blanc), Star & Garter (now an indian) and The Old Trout (now The Thatch).

    You'll be lucky to find anywhere there that will serve you a pint after about 11.30 these days too.

    I'm going back to the 80's

    We all are. Whether we like it or not!

  • The 80s sound fucking incredible

  • There were certained unnamed pubs that you could get a late 'Lock in' if you were familiar with the landlord, or even better the lock in between 3 and 7 on a Sunday, when you couldn't legally drink during the old hours.
    As much as the licenseing hours are a vast improvement to what we had before the early 90's, the buzz you got from a lock in those days, is hard to describe.

  • I suspect that considering the 'units' I put away from the late 1970s and through the 80s and 90s, without the licensing hours during my youth and early years of work, I would now either be dead or a hopeless alcoholic shouting f*** and c*** at sporting events. If it wasn't for the fact most of 'the youth' I know seem far less interested in pub life than we were, I would seriously fear for the future! :smile:

  • Sorry to make everyone feel really old, but I could only start drinking legally in 2012

  • @ReturnToSenda said:
    Sorry to make everyone feel really old, but I could only start drinking legally in 2012

    You're not really sorry, are you? :smile:

  • The excitement of a lock-in really was fantastic. Especially if you weren't expecting one.

    The landlord ceremonially pulling the curtains and turning the key in the lock..... great days

  • Do lock-ins not still happen? Genuine question, I'm too old to ever be at one these days.

  • @eric_plant said:
    The excitement of a lock-in really was fantastic. Especially if you weren't expecting one.

    The landlord ceremonially pulling the curtains and turning the key in the lock..... great days

    One notorious pub no longer trading, in a notorious part of town, used to pull the till tray out, so if he was raided he would claim it was a private party and no money changed hands.
    The fact he kept a shotgun below the bar, didnt seem to worry him, if authorities turned up !!

  • @drcongo said:
    Do lock-ins not still happen? Genuine question, I'm too old to ever be at one these days.

    I doubt there's a need for them these days as you can pretty much always get a drink in a pub at any time of the day now

  • @drcongo said:
    Do lock-ins not still happen? Genuine question, I'm too old to ever be at one these days.

    Yes, but I feel they're rarer. Probably just because there's a lot less pubs about!

  • @ChasHarps said:

    @eric_plant said:
    The excitement of a lock-in really was fantastic. Especially if you weren't expecting one.

    The landlord ceremonially pulling the curtains and turning the key in the lock..... great days

    One notorious pub no longer trading, in a notorious part of town, used to pull the till tray out, so if he was raided he would claim it was a private party and no money changed hands.
    The fact he kept a shotgun below the bar, didnt seem to worry him, if authorities turned up !!

    The best lock-ins are the ones where no money changes hands.

  • @drcongo said:

    @ChasHarps said:

    @eric_plant said:
    The excitement of a lock-in really was fantastic. Especially if you weren't expecting one.

    The landlord ceremonially pulling the curtains and turning the key in the lock..... great days

    One notorious pub no longer trading, in a notorious part of town, used to pull the till tray out, so if he was raided he would claim it was a private party and no money changed hands.
    The fact he kept a shotgun below the bar, didnt seem to worry him, if authorities turned up !!

    The best lock-ins are the ones where no money changes hands.

    As I recall, a lot of the ones I experienced had a sizeable quota of coppers (uniformed and other) in attendance anyway! :smile:

  • I had a fair few locks ins in the 2010s during my uni days. Has to really be an "independent" pub though

Sign In or Register to comment.