Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield announces retirement from playing

1235»

Comments

• @floyd said:

@PrinceOfCrowell said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I mean, I remember hearing the news, but not any of what came after.

It was definitely the right thing to do at the time.

I also understood why we kept it retired for the following few seasons even after the inquest and the full story came out, as the then playing side would have felt very strongly about remembering their teammate and friend.

I’m not sure 16 years later whether it’s something we should still be doing, considering the full facts of what happened.

These are my thoughts exactly.

100% Agree with both of you.

I know I risk coming of as heartless as it was a sad situation all round, but I have zero tolerance for drink drivers. The fact is he had 7 pints willingly got behind the wheel of a car and then killed someone’s mother by driving on the wrong side of the road.
    Not sure that we should be honouring that by keeping the shirt retried. I agree at the time it was the right thing but now with the hindsight and the facts I think it should be revoked.

• Bloomfield Family Stand would be a fine tribute for me.

• edited February 2022

Idk, I think renaming a stand (even if it's not really a full stand) feels a bit too 'in memoriam'. What other parts of the ground are named after legends? Poor old Tony Horseman only gets the worst mascot in the country!

• When you start thinking about big gestures of naming things, I think we have to consider surely Martin O Neill should be the first one honoured.
    If we're talking overall contribution to the history of the club there's few above him.

A lounge or bar I think would be a decent one for Bloomfield, whereas I think a Martin O Neil would be your stand naming.

• What about naming Pete's smoker after him?

• edited February 2022

Any smoker should be named after Garner surely?

• @Malone said:
    When you start thinking about big gestures of naming things, I think we have to consider surely Martin O Neill should be the first one honoured.
    If we're talking overall contribution to the history of the club there's few above him.

A lounge or bar I think would be a decent one for Bloomfield, whereas I think a Martin O Neil would be your stand naming.

St Martin has had the honour of designing our kit for the last few seasons to be fair

• Make the training pitch Bloom Field.

Hillbottom should be renamed Rockbottom just to troll Sunderland fans whenever they have to visit us.

• At least JJ will be easy when he retires. 'JJs Corner' on the Olympic side of the Terrace.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bloomfield Family Stand would be a fine tribute for me.

I agree

• @Wendoverman said:
    Bloomfield Family Stand would be a fine tribute for me.

Has he got enough relatives to fill it though!

• @Shev said:
    At least JJ will be easy when he retires. 'JJs Corner' on the Olympic side of the Terrace.

The what side?

• You never listened to Phil's commentary @Malone?! The side JJ scores what is apparently known as an Olympico goal direct from a corner.

• @drcongo said:
    You never listened to Phil's commentary @Malone?! The side JJ scores what is apparently known as an Olympico goal direct from a corner.

Have listened to a few, mostly when on ifollow, and can't say I've heard him use that reference.