Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield announces retirement from playing

Sad news - thought we might get one last cameo. What a superb servant to the club and so glad he'll continue to be with us for the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Such a shame after an amazing career that Matt didn't get to choose the time of his departure from playing the game. Even more of a shame that the injury that finished him was not a mistimed tackle but a seemingly innocuous misdirected free kick from a teammate.

Matt has of course had an amazing career and hopefully will remain part of the club into the future. Lets hope that the injury does not affect his enjoyment of the rest of his life.

• Hopefully he can be on the bench for the last home game and come on in the last minute of injury time.

• An extraordinary servant with an extraordinary career. It's a shame it ended in the way it did, but he's given himself, and us, a life time of memories. I'm glad he's staying here to start his coaching career.

• Sadly, reading his interview in the Guardian even that might be too much of a risk - one accidental whack to the head could cause serious injury. I really hope Matt will continue to be part of the coaching set-up - I always hoped he'd be next in line for manager should Gareth ever leave - sort of like the old Liverpool boot room dynasty.

Whatever he does next though, he'll always be a Wycombe legend.

• I doubt anyone on this board will ever again in their lifetime see a player give so much to Wycombe Wanderers.

Thanks for the memories, Matt. There have been so many.

• Sad but not unexpected. What a servant to the club. Glad he carried on pulling on the shirt as long as he did!

• And I am so, so glad he got his Championship goal.

• Pretty emotional about this ?

Just hope to goodness he makes a full recovery from what sounds like an awful injury.

Thanks for everything Matt, no words can do justice to what you mean to this football club. Suffice it to say that you've been through all the ups and downs, year after year, and you never once strayed from being a model professional and about the nicest bloke any of us have had the pleasure to meet. Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it

• yeah, the Guardian story makes hard reading, although kudos to Mr. Wycombe for his honesty.

oh yeah, and a career and service to WWFC to be proud of.

• I can't be the only one who assumed he just wasn't getting near it due to the strength of the squad this season.
    Sad that it's those concussions, as he got through was it a triple set of them over a month or 2 a few years ago?

I started at my current company 6 months before he joined Wycombe, so it's like he's pretty much always been a fixture throughout my working life.

Glad he got the ultimate prize of winning the play off final to get to the championship, and then getting games up there though.
    And of course that this happened at this end of his career, not the start at least I suppose.

• He was the last playing link to the days when I was able to go to games. I think I assumed he’d just go on forever.

• @floyd said:
    He was the last playing link to the days when I was able to go to games. I think I assumed he’d just go on forever.

Definitely one of those sobering type thoughts.
    Like those different stages of there actually being players younger than you playing for the club, or the more shaking one that there are no longer any Wycombe players older than you!

• Pretty sobering, but no better journo to do the story justice than Ben Fisher - who really 'gets' this club.

• Great servant to the club and a real nice person. I hope he has a great career in coaching and maybe management. He should have a job for life at Wycombe.

• @eric_plant said:
    Pretty emotional about this ?

Me too. Matt's been here longer than my now grown-up son, so for him there's never been a Wycombe without Blooms in the team at some point.

I like to think he's sort of the personification of Wycombe Wanderers - immensely likeable, humble, and never-say-die.

• @eric_plant said:
    Pretty emotional about this ?

Just hope to goodness he makes a full recovery from what sounds like an awful injury.

Thanks for everything Matt, no words can do justice to what you mean to this football club. Suffice it to say that you've been through all the ups and downs, year after year, and you never once strayed from being a model professional and about the nicest bloke any of us have had the pleasure to meet. Enjoy your retirement, you've earned it

Your words perfectly express how I'm feeling right now @eric_plant, thank you. Let's hope Matty stays around the club for another 20 years.

• An absolute club legend and the end of a very long era. The loyalty that he has shown our club over the years will most likely never be surpassed. He has seen it all, been through so many ups and downs, and throughout it has remained so humble. I've always been proud of the fact that we had the player with the longest continuous spell of service with one club in the EFL, and was so pleased that he managed to score at least one goal in every season that he played for us, not counting the current one. He obviously had no real choice when it came to retiring from playing, but good to see he'll carry on his coaching career with us.
    All Wycombe supporters should be eternally grateful for the service he has given us. Thanks for everything, Matt.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    An absolute club legend and the end of a very long era. The loyalty that he has shown our club over the years will most likely never be surpassed. He has seen it all, been through so many ups and downs, and throughout it has remained so humble. I've always been proud of the fact that we had the player with the longest continuous spell of service with one club in the EFL, and was so pleased that he managed to score at least one goal in every season that he played for us, not counting the current one. He obviously had no real choice when it came to retiring from playing, but good to see he'll carry on his coaching career with us.
    All Wycombe supporters should be eternally grateful for the service he has given us. Thanks for everything, Matt.

Sums up my thoughts entirely.

Thanks for everything you've done on and off the pitch for Wycombe and the wider football world.

Quite simply a gentleman and true legend the like we will never see again.

Glad you're staying though because we need a party if you can't make that one final appearance. Over to you Rob!

• He seemed to get such a battering every time he played in the last season or two. I can only echo what everyone else has said, thanks Mr Wycombe.

• Anyone know if he'll continue on as part of the coaching team?

• One day, some of our younger players will look back and truly appreciate how lucky they are to have had a mentor in Matty Bloomfield. He is everything that people have said he is - a leader, a legend, a nice guy - and so much more.

They don’t make them like Blooms anymore and we are all incredibly blessed to have been able to share this near two decade journey with him.

I hope our next #10 is just as special.

• I expect Anis will get the 10 shirt, assuming he's still here next season

• I know retiring numbers is a silly Americanism, but I hope they give number 10 a rest.

• edited February 2022

I'm not a fan of retiring numbers - especially when it's a 'big' number like 10 - plus I don't think Blooms would want that?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I expect Anis will get the 10 shirt, assuming he's still here next season

Sorry, but right now it seems almost sacrilegious to think of anyone else wearing number 10 anytime soon.

• Must be strange for Mat now. He ;looks around at some of them players and think, "I'm old enough to be your father!".
    Agrat servant to WWFC and his longevity I doubt, will ever be repeated.

• edited February 2022

10 years is a big achievement, so almost double is ridiculous.

JJ could make the 10, he's on season 8 now, and surely will be around next season.

• I think I'd retire it, he is an absolute club legend the likes of which I doubt we'll see again. 18 seasons and such a shame to have ended like this, but what a true inspiration Blooms is to us all.

• A club legend the likes of which we're unlikely to see again.

Must be up there in the whole EFL in terms of appearances for a club?