Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield announces retirement from playing

Comments

• One thing that’s struck me reading the Guardian article and the tribute on the official website is how many serious head injuries he’s had. It sounds like the incident at Exeter is about his fourth major concussion.

• Just makes me well up

• @floyd said:
    One thing that’s struck me reading the Guardian article and the tribute on the official website is how many serious head injuries he’s had. It sounds like the incident at Exeter is about his fourth major concussion.

Always gave 100% and put his body and head in where it was needed and wouldn't shirk anything. Let's hope he can have success leading sensible discussions on getting players the support they need and where maybe decisions at times should be taken away from them in their best interests.

Some night that was in the cup at Charlton by the way. As I remember they were doing pretty badly in the Prem but still 2 divisions up and fans and players alike went there right up for it, lots of us totally expecting the win. Battered them, should have been more than 1-0 .

• Very sad to end this way rather than with a last hurrah. But what a servant of the club.

But no retiring the shirt nonsense, please. We didn't do it for Dave Carroll. Let's not start now.

• He should have worn 8 anyway!

• Well said, and I also reckon it would be the last thing that Matt Bloomfield himself would want

• Yeah I'm not really with all this retiring numbers thing either

• Inspiring guy and so pleased he’s still around the place. I must admit I thought he’d retired on the quiet already but it’s fitting that it’s done this way and he deserves all the plaudits for his incredible career.

Really hope we don’t retire the shirt. No 10 is iconic in football terms and we can remember the dogged spirit of Blooms in other ways.

• I’ll always remember the send off Brownie got at Peterborough at the end of this first season, and wondering what were the chances that any of the young players watching on would become Wycombe legends too.

Over the last 18 years that have followed it’s been an absolute pleasure to watch Matt Bloomfield play football!

The last time I saw time play live would have been the Ipswich away game where he got the brilliant ovation when subbed, and one of my favourite memories from his time.

I’ve never felt emotion come through the TV as much as it did from him at the end of the playoff final! That reaction and smile will be something I’ll remember forever!

Something else that really stood out was how much stronger he came back from (I think) the last of his lengthy injuries. Such a great role model for any aspiring footballer.

Thanks for the memories, Matt!

• Made his debut against a club that no longer exists, scored his last goal against a club that might soon no longer exist

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I was eight when he signed

*nine, but bloody hell, I feel OLD today

• Imagine no number 10 ever playing for Wycombe again. Ever. Sorry but not for me. That’s not to say I don’t think he’s been a terrific servant. Thanks for everything Mr Wycombe and I hope your still around the club for years to come.

• edited February 2022

Exactly as per @our_frank, that Carroll example is spot on.
    You can't be retiring such a key shirt. Instead it can give someone else a chance to wear it and it can become extra special for more legendary players having worn it.

Devine 10 was a shirt I had back in the day for one.

• This “never meet your heroes” thing is nonsense. I’ve never met Blooms, but I know it would be a fascinating, humbling, and rewarding experience if I ever did.

• Matt is speaking live on Sky Sports news now 8:45am

• Do we know if Blooms has official joined the coaching staff? There didn't appear to be anything concrete about that.
    Losing Darius, Bayo and Blooms in the space of 12 months rips the generals apart a little bit and those three have defined player expectations on and off the field over recent seasons.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Do we know if Blooms has official joined the coaching staff? There didn't appear to be anything concrete about that.
    Losing Darius, Bayo and Blooms in the space of 12 months rips the generals apart a little bit and those three have defined player expectations on and off the field over recent seasons.

Yes. His last deal was player / coach and they confirmed he will be staying coaching in the announcement and various interviews. Sure they've had discussions about people stepping up on the playing generals side As gutting as it might be people can't play on forever.

• He definitely just said his contract is till the summer, so not going anywhere just yet. Will he stay at Wycombe beyond that? Who knows, but he's currently doing a diploma in football management so our loss could very well be someone elses gain.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    This “never meet your heroes” thing is nonsense. I’ve never met Blooms, but I know it would be a fascinating, humbling, and rewarding experience if I ever did.

I can assure you that if you met Blooms your admiration for him would be even greater. He is humble, courteous, respectful and just a thoroughly nice guy. I feel privileged to have watched him play and even more privileged to call him a friend.

• some justifiably lovely tributes here. Well said, all.

• Is this the perfect time for an 18 part WWTV series with Matt taking us through each of his seasons with clips & thoughts @bluntphil ?

• @glasshalffull said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    This “never meet your heroes” thing is nonsense. I’ve never met Blooms, but I know it would be a fascinating, humbling, and rewarding experience if I ever did.

I can assure you that if you met Blooms your admiration for him would be even greater. He is humble, courteous, respectful and just a thoroughly nice guy. I feel privileged to have watched him play and even more privileged to call him a friend.

In all fairness we could pick pretty much anyone from the current squad and say the same. And that is BECAUSE of people such as Matt creating a culture.
    I can assure you it has not always been so.

• @LeedsBlue said:

I met Blooms a couple of times. He had the rare ability to make you feel like he knew who you were, even tho of course he didn’t. Keith Ryan was the same.

• edited February 2022

Was looking at Bloom’s first game for us, a soul destroying 0-2 home defeat to Rushden & Diamonds. (I remember everyone was up in arms because Adams had dropped Simpson and Currie).

Unused sub for Rushden that day?

Adebayo Akinfenwa.

• Met him at the open day we had just before the Peter Taylor League One season. He had a nice chat and photo with my daughter. Very nice bloke. That Matty Phillips looked like a good prospect as well, didn't he?

• I've never met Matt Bloomfield but it sounds like I've missed out.

Absolutely spot on about Keith Ryan too @floyd.

• I am doing building work at the moment and most people I am working with are a friend of Keith Ryan and nobody has a bad word to say about him, wonderful man.

We missed a trick back in 2001 not pushing harder for Gerrards Cross to be re-named Ryans Chip.

Blooms is an absolute gent.

When our backs were up against the wall, you always knew Matty would be giving everything for the team, he always shone during the darkest times.

Thanks Matt for everything and best of luck for the future.

• Keith Ryan - absolutely lovely man. Happened to be standing next to him in a pub in Oxford years ago; he was out with Simon Stapleton. First up he indicated to the barman I was in front of him to be served and then, when I clocked who it was and produced my Wycombe scarf from my coat pocket and said hello to him, was not only more than happy to chat but bought me a pint.

Blooms has never bought me a pint but he doesn't have to - he's given me enough memories to last a lifetime.

• I absolutely back up what everyone has said about Keith Ryan. Just a really nice bloke.

Very proud to have had men like these represent this wonderful football club