Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield announces retirement from playing

Comments

• I'd guess that there are a fair number above him, especially from past eras, but I believe he's ranked 4th in Wycombe's all-time list, below only Horseman, Maskell, and Carroll.
    Not forgetting that if it wasn't for a few serious injuries, he could have quite possibly knocked up over 700 appearances.

• Made me choke up the video from the clubs twitter feed... what a guy

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    I'd guess that there are a fair number above him, especially from past eras, but I believe he's ranked 4th in Wycombe's all-time list, below only Horseman, Maskell, and Carroll.
    Not forgetting that if it wasn't for a few serious injuries, he could have quite possibly knocked up over 700 appearances.

Yeh for sure in non league days there'll be plenty, but in the football league >500 is huge

• I tried to buy the photo of Matt and Stockdale hugging at the end of the play off final. An extraordinary photo with complete joy and emotion. Not allowed to. Owned by the FA. I’m just a fan after all.

• I can only echo what others have said.

Thank you Matt for being a true gentleman, professional, representative and servant for Wycombe Wanderers throughout your playing career.

May we have the honour of many more years of your coaching.

• Calling Blooms a great servant to the club is the understatement of the century. Always gave his all, playing on with a broken arm at York exemplified this. Such a shame that he won't get his big send off still as a player, though it's 100% correct that he retires from playing with the concussion injuries he suffered in his last few seasons.
    I'm sure he will continue to lead by example as a coach as he did on the pitch with the captain's armband.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Legendary, As sad as the news and the article are it's yet another time you look at a write up of something at our club and be impressed. There's no doubt at all he's had a wonderful impact on everyone at the club and will continue to do so. It's easy to underestimate what that means to a club that was run on little more than spirit for the majority of his career. I remember reading that if he didn't play a game he'd want to know what the furthest any player had run was so he could go and do his shift and keep himself in shape. Don't underestimate him as a player either, Scoring important goals, making runs and chipping away at the opposition.
    Would be quite happy if he was our last ever number 10 and people knew the reason we don't have a 10 is because that's Blooms number.
    Hope he has a long and fruitful coaching career, sure he won't be far from the shortlist should we need a new gaffer anytime soon.

• I turn 37 in a couple of weeks. He’s played for us for half my life.

• I was eight when he signed

• That is tough to read. Hope he makes a full recovery and has a long and successful coaching career to go with his remarkable stint as a player.

• Thank you Matt Bloomfield. Here’s to the next 19 years

• Thank you for everything Sir Matt and I add my cap to the "Retire the Shirt" movement.

• @Username said:

@NewburyWanderer said:
    I'd guess that there are a fair number above him, especially from past eras, but I believe he's ranked 4th in Wycombe's all-time list, below only Horseman, Maskell, and Carroll.

Yeh for sure in non league days there'll be plenty, but in the football league >500 is huge

Unfortunately I can think of one straight away, based not too far away. I guess you can probably work out who I mean.

• Is your favourite Matt Bloomfield moment the look on his face after we won at Wembley, or when the Bristol Rovers result came thru at Torquay he just forgot about the game and ran toward the away end to celebrate?

• edited February 2022

The cheer of that crowd on news of the final whistle coming through at Rovers, and seeing Bloomfield running around punching the air with a couple of mins still to play will live long.

• @floyd said:
    Is your favourite Matt Bloomfield moment the look on his face after we won at Wembley, or when the Bristol Rovers result came thru at Torquay he just forgot about the game and ran toward the away end to celebrate?

Probably the Torquay one, that was mad, but also after the promotion game at Chesterfield, on the pitch afterwards I told him what a great game he'd had, and he seemed almost surprised.

• We (my gang in the bar) had predicted Matt would captain the B&B team for his last dance. Thanks Matt, been a privilege to watch you play, a great player, but a better bloke.

• My defining memory of Matt is when he played on through what turned out to be a broken arm after scoring late away at York. But that little jump at Torquay when he finds out the Rovers score is up there.

He’s been a massive part of all our many achievements over the last 19 years. I’m delighted he’s staying on as coach because the place wouldn’t be the same without him.

All the best wishes health-wise!

• Tony Adam's ONLY contribution to our history when he signed Blooms, but a brilliant contribution nevertheless.

• Not a lot I can add to what has already been said.

Matt, Mr Wycombe. You are a legend and a hero. Thank you for everything. All the very best for all the years that are still to come. Bless you and your family.

• Three words. Thank you, Matt.

• @mooneyman said:
    Tony Adam's ONLY contribution to our history when he signed Blooms, but a brilliant contribution nevertheless.

Nathan Tyson and Mike Williamson as well.

• @floyd said:
    I turn 37 in a couple of weeks. He’s played for us for half my life.

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I was eight when he signed

I’m old

That said thank you Matt

• @ChasHarps said:

@mooneyman said:
    Tony Adam's ONLY contribution to our history when he signed Blooms, but a brilliant contribution nevertheless.

Allowing us the chance to see a month of Steven Taylor too.

• I've said it before but his performance at Charlton in that league cup quarter final is up there with any I've seen

Up against premier league opponents, he absolutely ran the show

• @Malone said:

@ChasHarps said:

@mooneyman said:

Allowing us the chance to see a month of Steven Taylor too.

Was not so keen on Clint Easton !!

• “Oh Matty Matty…” very sad that this part of your story ends this way but very hopeful that the next chapter is written at the club. So much respect for all you have achieved.

• So very disappointed not to get one last opportunity to see Matt wearing the quarters. I assume it can't be arranged for him to lead the team out, as captain, only to be substituted immediately before a ball is kicked? Maybe we can all chip in to make him a match-day mascot instead?

As fans of WWFC we've been privileged to witness some special occasions and many of us will have a personal memory from Matt's career. For me, it's not the look of pure joy - or even the tears - on his face after winning the league 1 play-off, or that jump for joy at Torquay. But I do think I remember when playing MK at the hockey stadium, in 2006, he was very unceremoniously bundled into the hoardings. This may be the occasion referred to in the Guardian article when he was first knocked out 15/16 yrs ago. Little did we know then that this lad would come to be a true Wycombe legend.

Thanks you Matt, its been a privilege to have seen this part of your journey. All the best for the next chapter, so far has only been the prologue...