Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• Worthy of the Wendover wordsmith @drcongo. Makes me wonder if we spend too much time trying to penetrate the closely packed contents of most boxes rather than shooting from outside. No innuendo intended.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    It’s not that I don’t have the intellectual capacity to understand it... but thanks anyway

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that! What is it that makes you call it nonsense, though?

Because it’s trying to put a statistical metric on an opinion.

I mean, how good a goal was bayo’s considering it’s relative xG - said no one since he scored it on Saturday.

No, because literally no one who understands xG discusses it in those terms.

Literally no one outside of a spreadsheet and big data analysis world gives two hoots about it. And if they do there mates won’t thank them for bringing it up mid convo

You seem very angry about a bunch of numbers

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    It’s not that I don’t have the intellectual capacity to understand it... but thanks anyway

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that! What is it that makes you call it nonsense, though?

I mean, how good a goal was bayo’s considering it’s relative xG - said no one since he scored it on Saturday.

Literally no one outside of a spreadsheet and big data analysis world gives two hoots about it. And if they do there mates won’t thank them for bringing it up mid convo

I believe the condition is known as numerophobia!

• I have enough trouble with the attendance predictions.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

No, he's just saying what most of us think

• edited December 2021

@HolmerBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

No, he's just saying what most of us think

Not sure there's any need to get quite so upset about it, though. Lots of people - not just those of us who are apparently trapped inside some kind of spreadsheet dimension - enjoy that aspect of the game and it's here to stay.

Equally, if you don't like it, that's fine; no one is forcing you to.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

No anger here my friend.

Just pointing out that no one outside of people that sell or use big data analytics really cares or has a use for xG. It’s one of those things that has a use in specific areas but it being shoe Horned into any conversation about football snacks of using a screw driver to hammer in a nail.

Wrong tool for the job.

• edited December 2021

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:

No anger here my friend.

Just pointing out that no one outside of people that sell or use big data analytics really cares or has a use for xG. It’s one of those things that has a use in specific areas but it being shoe Horned into any conversation about football snacks of using a screw driver to hammer in a nail.

Wrong tool for the job.

You're wrong - I know plenty of more 'average fans' who have embraced the data revolution - but you're not going to be won round, so I shan't bother! But I wasn't really trying to do that tbh - I equally know plenty of people hate it, and that's fine.

• It is a little strange how uppity people get about xG and other such statistical innovations. Being a bit of a stats geek myself, I enjoy the added dimension that it brings to football analysis. As our friend @ReturnToSenda points out, it is just another tool that provides a decent statistical insight when applied correctly. No one is suggesting you bring it up at the pub post-match. Unless you want to wind up one of your anti-xG mates of course.

• I'm definitely going to be using it in post-match conversation from now on. Wrongly too, as I don't understand it at all and using it wrong should wind up both sides so I won't be playing favourites.

• Wait until you hear about PPDA

• Do people still use shoe-horns? I could do with one for my smart shoes but I wouldn't know where to get one.

• I've always wondered why they're called shoe horns. I bet @micra knows...

• Anyone know how the Gasroom is doing on Expected Arguments Per Thread (EAPT) nowadays? I instinctively feel as though we are at least performing level with it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I've always wondered why they're called shoe horns. I bet @micra knows...

Shaped like a horn and used on a shoe

• The only thing that bugs me about xG is that it should be EG. It's Expected Goals, not Xylophone Goals!!!

• @Shev said:
    Anyone know how the Gasroom is doing on Expected Arguments Per Thread (EAPT) nowadays? I instinctively feel as though we are at least performing level with it.

Must be above average surely ?

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Funny-looking horn!

• @Shev said:
    The only thing that bugs me about xG is that it should be EG. It's Expected Goals, not Xylophone Goals!!!

Well Ainsworth does usually get a tune out of his players

• Xg on Saturday was 2.44 - 1.63 btw

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2021

@Shev said:
    The only thing that bugs me about xG is that it should be EG. It's Expected Goals, not Xylophone Goals!!!

All Chairboys agree beech is class

• @Shev said:
    Anyone know how the Gasroom is doing on Expected Arguments Per Thread (EAPT) nowadays? I instinctively feel as though we are at least performing level with it.

“he’s missed an open troll opportunity there, he’s got to be taking those”

• @LX1 said:
    Xg on Saturday was 2.44 - 1.63 btw

That's what bugs me about xG, it's just consistently wrong.

• @drcongo said:

@LX1 said:
    Xg on Saturday was 2.44 - 1.63 btw

That's what bugs me about xG, it's just consistently wrong.

Wrong in what way? It's not a predictive tool, which is the mistake a lot of people make.

• Surely VAR can settle this?

• Surely "expect" is something you do before an event?

• I mean, if it was a retrospective tool, then Saturday's game's xG was 2-2.

• @LX1 said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Half marks. Traditionally made of horn (&used on a shoe).

• And as for who uses them still wait until you get more advanced in years and you will find out. Also, they are not difficult to get. Just Google them and see.

• Elizabeth 1 had a large collection of shoe horns!