Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• What's this? 'Our bird's got more heads than yours'? Bloody show-offs.

• Hopefully it means their defenders don’t know which way to turn when McCleary has the ball!

• It’s like a nightmare I once had after picking up my Griffin Savers pack from Midland bank. I don’t think my one had stolen a pretzel though.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    It’s like a nightmare I once had after picking up my Griffin Savers pack from Midland bank. I don’t think my one had stolen a pretzel though.

A pretzel and an apricot Danish

• Mango Danish surely?

• It's a little lo-fi and shambolic but that and the phoenix , given where this incarnation come from, adds a bit of charm.
    Some of their fans have been a bit gobby about what is a genuinely wonderful achievement but still never forget?The franchise.

• Yorkshire rose and a pecan platt flown in by a 1930’s Central European fascist dictatorship- and horror of horrors the club name on the shield.

• It's not a phoenix, it's a double-headed eagle, derived from Julius Caesar's coat of arms and the dodgy legend that he once camped on Wimbledon Common. Can't find any info about the shit on its wings, a bit annoying that.

• @Ed_ said:
    It's not a phoenix, it's a double-headed eagle, derived from Julius Caesar's coat of arms and the dodgy legend that he once camped on Wimbledon Common. Can't find any info about the shit on its wings, a bit annoying that.

Ah, good spot, using the animal from the crest of the local council rings a bell and seems commendable

• The Albanian flag has a double-headed eagle. A good omen...?

• edited December 2021

Speaking of Anis, keep an eye out for Wimbledon's Ayoub Assal - 19, similar kind of player, has his sights set on playing for Morocco. Only one MF in L1 (Luke Jephcott, Plymouth) takes a higher % of their touches in the oppo box than those two.

• Think I can see Orion’s Belt in the star chart above.

No idea what it means but seeing as the Anis star is higher I take that as a good sign.

Don’t remember too many Wimbledon games but hopefully today is one of them.

• ………Ayoub to receive ‘hard but fair’ welcome to AP from Thomo on four minutes.

• Overall touches from left to right, touches in box from bottom to top

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Overall touches from left to right, touches in box from bottom to top

Oh. Thank you.

So if I read that correctly the Wimbledon guy touches the ball less than any other midfielder? That does seem that impressive. Not sure what I’ve missed.

• He does, but a high proportion of those are in the opposition box ('threatening' touches, if you like).

• Likes a dribble, basically - although not as much as Anis, who's getting a hat-trick today ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Likes a dribble, basically - although not as much as Anis, who's getting a hat-trick today ?

Remember Crewe….

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Likes a dribble, basically - although not as much as Anis, who's getting a hat-trick today ?

Hopefully he wears a bib on the pitch during these covid times!

• @bookertease said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Remember Crewe….

I'm taking the 'keep predicting things and eventually I'll get lucky' approach now ?

• We should be seeing teams like this off at home. 3-0. We need to give out a pasting sooner or later, it should have been Burton Tuesday

• Not a fan of that badge, mostly as pointed out above because it looks like a dodgy fascist dictator’s flag. 2/10

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Speaking of Anis, keep an eye out for Wimbledon's Ayoub Assal - 19, similar kind of player, has his sights set on playing for Morocco. Only one MF in L1 (Luke Jephcott, Plymouth) takes a higher % of their touches in the oppo box than those two.

Luke Jephcott is a centre forward not a midfielder.

• FFS that was horribly soft

• Keystone cops defending there.

• That was…easy

• Poor goal to concede. Need to settle

• Why do we make it so hard for ourselves?