Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

14567810»

Comments

• @wingnut said:
    And as for who uses them still wait until you get more advanced in years and you will find out.

Shoe horns and devices for putting on your socks! How could we live without them?

• xG is pretty widely used for fantasy football which is a fairly large game now- nothing compared to NFL but growing

• Let’s just all agree that the only figures that really matter in football are as follows.

0 = Defeat
    1 = Draw
    3 = Win
    1.74 = Promotion at Peterborough’s expense.

• But Derby have had 5 wins and 10 draws and only have 4 points @username123!

• @mooneyman said:
    But Derby have had 5 wins and 10 draws and only have 4 points @username123!

Hi @mooneyman I’ve heard rumours that Derby’s figures are not always accurate - but I take your point and I shall keep an eye on this and revisit ?

• I think draws should be worth 0 points - imagine the carnage with the scores level going into stoppage time.

• Home draw - 1 point
    Away draw - 2
    Home win - 3
    Away win - 4

That would liven up the table every week!

• If stats get you hot, stats get you hot.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Home draw - 1 point
    Away draw - 2
    Home win - 3
    Away win - 4

That would liven up the table every week!

I remember Lawrie Sanchez suggesting something very similar.

• I keep a 2’ plastic shoe horn on a radiator near the front door. Absolute godsend. As for socks. I have to wait until I’ve moved around a bit in the morning before I can reach down far enough to get them on. To save time in winter I keep them on overnight. Definitely TMI !!

• @micra said:
    I keep a 2’ plastic shoe horn on a radiator near the front door. Absolute godsend. As for socks. I have to wait until I’ve moved around a bit in the morning before I can reach down far enough to get them on. To save time in winter I keep them on overnight. Definitely TMI !!

@micra - politely…. What are you on about????

• edited December 2021

Actually @micra ignore me - just saw all the shoe horn messages earlier in the thread!!!!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    It’s not that I don’t have the intellectual capacity to understand it... but thanks anyway

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that! What is it that makes you call it nonsense, though?

Because it’s trying to put a statistical metric on an opinion.

I mean, how good a goal was bayo’s considering it’s relative xG - said no one since he scored it on Saturday.

No, because literally no one who understands xG discusses it in those terms.

Literally no one outside of a spreadsheet and big data analysis world gives two hoots about it. And if they do there mates won’t thank them for bringing it up mid convo

You seem very angry about a bunch of numbers

No anger here my friend.

Just pointing out that no one outside of people that sell or use big data analytics really cares or has a use for xG. It’s one of those things that has a use in specific areas but it being shoe Horned into any conversation about football snacks of using a screw driver to hammer in a nail.

Wrong tool for the job.

You're wrong - I know plenty of more 'average fans' who have embraced the data revolution - but you're not going to be won round, so I shan't bother! But I wasn't really trying to do that tbh - I equally know plenty of people hate it, and that's fine.

Sorry for dragging back to this but phrases like “embracing the data revolution” is an absolute nothing sentence in terms of discussing a game of football.

Like VAR, the over analysis and judging things to the nth degree is just another dagger at the soul of football.

I get people want to understand the finer details - I’ll let you into a secret, I enjoyed understanding the finer points of Peter Taylor’s defensive set up that got us promotion - but it was fucking boring to watch and talk about.

And to throw it back to you, you seem very upset/angry that people don’t like xG is a tool. It’s just a supportive tool to use inline with shots at goal when you’ve run out of interesting things to say.

• I am old school. I go to football, watch game, ponder result and performance of players I have watched running about. I read match reports in old media. Don't care about possession stats or shots on goal, etc etc and thank God for being able to FF past pundits on MOTD. I also still think VAR (which seems to still be making glaring errors to me!) spoils the game. I don't mind fireworks but could live without them. Not using a shoehorn yet though.

• @ReturnToSenda you refer to an average fan above. Do you have any data on this? :)

• @Baldric said:
    @ReturnToSenda you refer to an average fan above. Do you have any data on this? :)

Probably someone who supports Reading

• @micra said:
    I keep a 2’ plastic shoe horn on a radiator near the front door. Absolute godsend. As for socks. I have to wait until I’ve moved around a bit in the morning before I can reach down far enough to get them on. To save time in winter I keep them on overnight. Definitely TMI !!

Why don't you try these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slider-Assist-Elderly-Disabled-People/dp/B07FKKM548/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B07FKKM548&psc=1

• Genuine question - does anybody know how they produce these data points at League 1 level?

As I understand it there is no automated tracking of ball and players, so it must be done manually. Does this mean there is someone watching the game (presumably a replaying) and then recording each kick, where it happened and by who?

I think that’s how it started out at whoever the sports data companies are? If so it must require hours upon hours of data entry. And an army of (I imagine very bored) people to watch the games.

• edited December 2021

@Glenactico said:
    Genuine question - does anybody know how they produce these data points at League 1 level?

As I understand it there is no automated tracking of ball and players, so it must be done manually. Does this mean there is someone watching the game (presumably a replaying) and then recording each kick, where it happened and by who?

I think that’s how it started out at whoever the sports data companies are? If so it must require hours upon hours of data entry. And an army of (I imagine very bored) people to watch the games.

For now, it's still done manually even at PL and CL level.

• @Glenactico said:
    Genuine question - does anybody know how they produce these data points at League 1 level?

As I understand it, there is someone watching the game live, normally at the stadium, with a device like an ipad, on which they enter events as they happen. This includes the location of the ball on the field for 'bigger' leagues (which includes League One).

• Thanks @ReturnToSenda @LX1

It must cost a small fortune to run - 46 staff attending games every weekend just to record data covering the FL/PL.

I’d also be interested in how they quality control it. If someone is recording data as the game happens there must be loads of errors.

• I think it might go automated soon - tech not accurate enough yet

• Anyone looking forward to resumption of the great data debate at the weekend?

Oh, and also the Dancing Yak/Senda conversation of course.

@Wendoverman - superb!