Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Comments

• @YorkExile said:

@Otter87 said:
    Could we sign Dan Crowley from Cheltenham Town? His contract expires in Jan and I reckon he could be an excellent player for us now and future as he's only 24

Interesting shout, I didn't realise he was on a short term deal down there. We're fairly well stacked in midfield though aren't we?

We're not this Saturday though!

• @mooneyman said:

@YorkExile said:

@Otter87 said:
    Could we sign Dan Crowley from Cheltenham Town? His contract expires in Jan and I reckon he could be an excellent player for us now and future as he's only 24

Interesting shout, I didn't realise he was on a short term deal down there. We're fairly well stacked in midfield though aren't we?

Worryingly true! I'm looking forward to a hyper-attacking 4-2-3-1 with Wheeler and Pendlebury as the deep lying midfielders. Grimmer and JJ at full back with strict instructions not to advance beyond the halfway line at any point.

• @YorkExile said:

Worryingly true! I'm looking forward to a hyper-attacking 4-2-3-1 with Wheeler and Pendlebury as the deep lying midfielders. Grimmer and JJ at full back with strict instructions not to advance beyond the halfway line at any point.

Blimey I know JJ’s dead ball skills are great but corners, free kicks and pens from his own half! That’s going to throw the Owls.

• @davecz said:

@bigred87 said:

@YorkExile said:
    Ryan Allsop was remarkably overrated by the vast majority of this message board.

Wasn't he just! He seemed a lot better on loan....

Have to agree. Being slightly controversial, I think we may have stayed up last year with Stockdale in goal for more games.

As controversial as all of the other people who said it. You'll need to try harder @davecz

• @perfidious_albion said:

@YorkExile said:

Blimey I know JJ’s dead ball skills are great but corners, free kicks and pens from his own half! That’s going to throw the Owls.

Haha! OK, we'll throw in a JJ dead ball caveat... but as soon as he strikes the ball he must SPRINT back to his own half irrespective of outcome.

• Has to be centre half surely..we lose Stewart or Taffers to injury we are in crisis IMO.

• edited November 2021

@bigred87 said:

@YorkExile said:
    Ryan Allsop was remarkably overrated by the vast majority of this message board.

Wasn't he just! He seemed a lot better on loan....

A little harsh. I think the board was always pretty vocal about his weaknesses. If anything he was properly rated. We also kept something like six clean sheets in a row in the promotion season, and....we got promoted with him.

Stockdale is the better keeper, but Rocky was not a mug, especially when it came to pure shot stopping. He pulled off some of the most incredible saves (Birmingham last season comes to mind, as does the Oxford final and the crazy ending against Peterborough).

• Rocky at Wembley too.

• Allsop was flawed - and he got more stick for those flaws than he did praise for his strengths, so I agree with @Shev that he was 'properly rated'.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

Last season - what a great signing Horgan is, wow he tore us apart v Preston.

I find Horgan pretty frustrating personally despite the flashes of obvious quality.

But.

This sets up another obvious thread tangent with worryingly little to do with the original title.

Do players signed on the basis of “well, they looked good against us” ever deliver?

Martin Bullock - no

Stefan Oakes - not bad, although to be fair this was a delight: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6116390.stm

Fola Onibuje - um…no.

I imagine Bayo and Scott McGleish must have faced us several times over the years, but don’t remember them greatly from an opposition perspective, and they wouldn’t have been signed only on the basis of a game against us (see also Sam Saunders who faced us w/ Dag & Red).

• Steve McGavin.

• At the opposite end of the scale, Curtis Thompson

• Alex Samuel was great for Stevenage

• Steve Thompson

• A topical one, tiny Dan Scarr

• Was he ever any good for us?

• I always thought he was alright! Did well when he played, but third choice behind El Abd and Stewart. Miles better than Müller or De Havilland. Contributed to our promotion.

• Josh Knight

• I also thought Dan Scarr was okay...in that I don't recall him being awful. I recognise his quality, but never really warmed to Josh Knight.

• @Chris said:
    Josh Knight

He was spoken about in the same breath as Mawson. Never. Nope. A decent player for sure. I'm still angry at him for his stupidity v Luton. And also a bit puzzled by his whole not speaking to any media during his time here.
    Not ripping up trees with a team that is currently stinking out the Championship at the moment either.

• He was our player of the season last season. Terrific player

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Chris said:
    Josh Knight

He was spoken about in the same breath as Mawson. Never. Nope. A decent player for sure. I'm still angry at him for his stupidity v Luton. And also a bit puzzled by his whole not speaking to any media during his time here.
    Not ripping up trees with a team that is currently stinking out the Championship at the moment either.

I don't remember any of the loanees speaking to the media last season?

• @eric_plant said:
    He was our player of the season last season. Terrific player

I saw him as a good player for sure. But I never got the hype personally and maybe that’s cos my memory is tainted by the Luton moment. Sliding doors and all that.

• I thought that Luton sending off was a bit unlucky.

if you look at it closely it's actually the Luton player that kicks him as he follows through

• @YorkExile said:

@mooneyman said:

@YorkExile said:

@Otter87 said:

Interesting @YorkExile and I can honestly say that I hadn’t read this before I posted on the Samaritans score prediction thread 10 minutes ago. I had in mind a vey attack-minded 4-4-2.

• @Glenactico said:
    ACL recovery is often much quicker now than it used to be. Some players are back within 4-5 mths.

I have a feeling Ikpeazu may return at some point. Seems to have had a good start for Middlesbrough but is now mostly on the bench. If Wilder is able to bring in his own forwards and/or doesn’t like the look of Uche then they might be willing to let him go at some point. I imagine Gaz would love to have him back. Perhaps more likely if we do go up. But it wouldn’t be the biggest shock to see him come back on loan in Jan.

I'll be revealing the lottery numbers later too:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-wycombe-plotting-middlesbrough-raid-as-wilder-opens-door-to-transfer/

• @Glenactico said:

@Glenactico said:
    ACL recovery is often much quicker now than it used to be. Some players are back within 4-5 mths.

I have a feeling Ikpeazu may return at some point. Seems to have had a good start for Middlesbrough but is now mostly on the bench. If Wilder is able to bring in his own forwards and/or doesn’t like the look of Uche then they might be willing to let him go at some point. I imagine Gaz would love to have him back. Perhaps more likely if we do go up. But it wouldn’t be the biggest shock to see him come back on loan in Jan.

I'll be revealing the lottery numbers later too:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sources-wycombe-plotting-middlesbrough-raid-as-wilder-opens-door-to-transfer/

I wouldn't give much credence to what FLW have to say

• I did wonder if their 'sources' were in fact the Gasroom...

• Although having said that, I'd almost be surprised if he hadn't at least put in a speculative phone call to Middlesbrough, whish is really all the article says.

• @Glenactico said:
    I did wonder if their 'sources' were in fact the Gasroom...

I'd say that is exactly how they sourced that article.