Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Comments

• If we go up then that's a different situation, but Uche won't drop back down to League One.

• edited November 2021

*There's a very slim chance Uche _might_ drop back down to League One if someone pays him a lot of money to be a regular starter. He won't get that at Wycombe currently.

• No doubt that's how he feels today too, but it might be different at the end of January when he hasn't played first team football for two months.

Let's be honest though, he'll probably sign for Luton. Or Peterborough, Or Derby.

• Surely a Vokes/Uche combo would be an incredible front two!

Although we have only got Vokes on a one year anyway haven't we?

• @Malone said:
    Surely a Vokes/Uche combo would be an incredible front two!

Although we have only got Vokes on a one year anyway haven't we?

Option for a second, which I actually think he'll take whether we go up or not.

• We have Vokes,Hanlan and the new Iraqi chap vying for 2 places. With TJ waiting in the wings.
    Uche is a handful, but vastly overated by some on here. He is poor in the air, and doesn't play the target man role well.
    I think we done very well to get 750 k for him, and would rather we strengthen in other areas.

• But again, if Vokes gets hurt, we simply don't have a proven goalscorer to keep us near the top. Hanlan is great, but he's scored 3 or 4 times this season?

I'm not saying we will sign Uche, but saying we shouldn't is daft.

• @floyd said:
    But again, if Vokes gets hurt, we simply don't have a proven goalscorer to keep us near the top. Hanlan is great, but he's scored 3 or 4 times this season?

But it isn't daft if it's not financially viable

• We all agree then

• @floyd said:
    But again, if Vokes gets hurt, we simply don't have a proven goalscorer to keep us near the top. Hanlan is great, but he's scored 3 or 4 times this season?

Uche is not a proven goal Scorer, got 5 in 40 appearences for Hearts and 6 in 31 for us.

• @ChasHarps said:

@floyd said:

Uche is not a proven goal Scorer, got 5 in 40 appearences for Hearts and 6 in 31 for us.

This too. Also you don't need a 'proven goalscorer' to challenge for promotion if you have lots of players chipping in - which we do...

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@floyd said:

But it isn't daft if it's not financially viable

Obviously.

@ChasHarps said:

@floyd said:

1 in 5 for a team that got relegated is not terrible. How many of those appearances were starts?

• Uche should have been a terrace idol. Was really sad he never got the chance to play in front of fans

Would be absolutely lovely if he were to belatedly get that chance

• I think he is more likely to go to someone in the championship relegation scrap…But league one and pushing for promotion would be an alternative

• Uche will go to Derby on the never-never!

• Football finances are rarely straightforward and we probably haven't been paid by Boro yet for Uche so that might work in our favour. However as they are Huge Club* his wages would have been boosted no doubt and with the reported / rumours wages of Horgan, Tafazoli and Vokes I doubt if we would see him back.

*© Sunderland AFC

• Cross referencing another thread, we need to bring in another centre back to keep Tools and Taff on their toes, in fact get Taff on his toes as he plods around flat footed most games

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Cross referencing another thread, we need to bring in another centre back to keep Tools and Taff on their toes, in fact get Taff on his toes as he plods around flat footed most games

We kept a clean sheet against Bolton. He's doing just fine.

• He's been outstanding this season, to the extent that I believe if he hadn't been injured last season we would have stayed up

McCleary is obviously our player of the season so far, but Taf is certainly competing for a place in the top 5

(Stockdale, Stewart, Scowen, Thompson, Vokes, if you're asking)

Cross referencing another thread, we need to bring in another centre back to keep Tools and Taff on their toes, in fact get Taff on his toes as he plods around flat footed most games

I think you are a lone voice in your harsh criticism of Taf.

• edited November 2021

@OxfordBlue said:

@perfidious_albion said:

We kept a clean sheet against Bolton. He's doing just fine.

I wouldn't use that as a defence of him (we've got Stocko to thank as much as anything!), but the suggestion that he's not up to it is nonsense.

• Uche and Vokes could work if we had the £, might be tempting but probably not the area that needs focus.

• What @eric_plant said. Exactly.

• save that as a template, will save you time

• Unlikely to ever need it again though.

• don't put yourself down Doc, I'm sure you won't be wrong about everything from now on

Of all the players Tools and Taff have been two of our most consistent. I assume Taff must have knocked your £7 pie out of your hands at some point?

• He's certainly a weird choice of player to have a go at, especially in multiple threads at any given opportunity. I'm going with £7 pie incident too.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I wouldn't use that as a defence of him (we've got Stocko to thank as much as anything!), but the suggestion that he's not up to it is nonsense.

Not saying he’s ‘not up to it’ - clearly is at this level but I think he needs some competition to up his game to deliver his Championship standard

• @drcongo said:
    He's certainly a weird choice of player to have a go at, especially in multiple threads at any given opportunity. I'm going with £7 pie incident too.

I always seem to have one player who everyone else thinks my dislike of is irrational, which here may be the case. But he just gets to me - the strutting around, the not interacting with the crowd on goal celebrations, the strolling off the park at the end of the game without walking round, the billy big bollocks YouTube stuff. Winding myself up now, better stop and have me tea.
    Oh and he is one paced and slow on the turn and it will cost us at some point……….