Skip to content

January transfer window - where do you think we strengthen?

Comments

• We will need 1 possible 2 central defenders, as we have no proven cover for Taff's or Stewart.

• Oh, I can't remember what podcast it was on (a local one by some Wycombe fans), but Gaz asked the question about Mawson in the summer. Also considered Pierre and - rather surprisingly - Amadi-Holloway.

• @ChasHarps said:
    We will need 1 possible 2 central defenders, as we have no proven cover for Taff's or Stewart.

Was about to say the same - we probably have decent cover for short term injuries/tiredness but not sure we'd cope if either was out long-term. But then would a top end L1 quality defender come in knowing they were going to be on the bench most of the time?

• If the right player was available, maybe, but Gaz has faith in CFJ and Wakely and Grimmer is more than capable there. We're not going to get anyone 'proven' to come and sit on the bench, as @MindlessDrugHoover says.

• Might come down to whether anyone wants our fringe players. I'm sure there's a list of targets if people are available and we have space but we won't want to massively expand the squad. If people want some of those out of form or out of the team on loan or permanently maybe they'll gamble on an improvement.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    If the right player was available, maybe, but Gaz has faith in CFJ and Wakely and Grimmer is more than capable there. We're not going to get anyone 'proven' to come and sit on the bench, as @MindlessDrugHoover says.

Grimmer looked far from capable in that position at Sunderland.

• @ChasHarps said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    If the right player was available, maybe, but Gaz has faith in CFJ and Wakely and Grimmer is more than capable there. We're not going to get anyone 'proven' to come and sit on the bench, as @MindlessDrugHoover says.

Grimmer looked far from capable in that position at Sunderland.

Not really the best example considering Kaikai played RWB that day and Grimmer basically had to play both positions - same at Wigan.

• Grimmer is a half decent option at centre back in a 2, but not for a long term run in the side, same with JJ. We have 2 first team quality, regular centre backs in my opinion and we need another in January.

Forino could do an ok job here and there, but isn’t ready to play week in and week out for a team hoping to challenge at the top of the league. Wakely is way, way off. He didn’t look fit at all in the Burton game, heavy strapping and very laboured movement. May take a lot of time to get up to speed. Clarke (although a full back) and Ram are just not good enough and will be released.

• I just don't know who you realistically get in - it's possibly the most awkward position to recruit for as you generally don't rotate there. And we're not likely to pick anyone up on a free in Jan, I wouldn't have thought.

• I’d be looking for a young loanee from a Premiership/Championship side, Stewart and Taff will not play every game and with us playing 3 at times they’ll be plenty of opportunity.

• @Quarterman said:
    I’d be looking for a young loanee from a Premiership/Championship side, Stewart and Taff will not play every game and with us playing 3 at times they’ll be plenty of opportunity.

I sense we've moved on from loans, but we'll see. I also don't think we'll see much more of 3atb, although it's good to have the option.

• Clark's contract actually expires at the end of December anyway, so I dont know whether he's likely to get an extension or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was to leave.

• Got the impression from Nick Freeman on Saturday that his rehabilitation is going very well so we might see him back early next year perhaps.

• @micra said:
    Got the impression from Nick Freeman on Saturday that his rehabilitation is going very well so we might see him back early next year perhaps.

Didn't he rupture his ACL? Cause that's generally a good nine months out.

• ACL recovery is often much quicker now than it used to be. Some players are back within 4-5 mths.

I have a feeling Ikpeazu may return at some point. Seems to have had a good start for Middlesbrough but is now mostly on the bench. If Wilder is able to bring in his own forwards and/or doesn’t like the look of Uche then they might be willing to let him go at some point. I imagine Gaz would love to have him back. Perhaps more likely if we do go up. But it wouldn’t be the biggest shock to see him come back on loan in Jan.

• @Glenactico Fair enough - I was basing it off NFL recovery times, but I think they can often be severe cases.

• I’m not so sure bringing Uche in, as great a player as he is, would be good for the formation or balance of the team.

He was certainly not the threat in the air of Vokes or Bayo and was happier running in the channels or down the wing and cutting in. He seemed less effective as a lone frontman or part of a front 2.

• Yes, it makes a difference whether it is a full or partial tear. And if is just the ACL or meniscus as well.

I think the physio has also come along a lot as well - a lot of the recovery is building up the muscles again, not just healing the repair itself.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I’m not so sure bringing Uche in, as great a player as he is, would be good for the formation or balance of the team.

He was certainly not the threat in the air of Vokes or Bayo and was happier running in the channels or down the wing and cutting in. He seemed less effective as a lone frontman or part of a front 2.

I think we could easily get Uche into the system, but bringing him back is a non-starter with Vokes about.

• I really can’t see it. The whole approach is very different now and, with the signing of All Al-Hamadi, any likelihood of Uche returning, whether on loan or permanently, must have receded into the middle distance. Mind you, he was/is a helluva nuisance in his incredibly ungainly yet effective style and he certainly knows where the goal is. Loved GA too.

• I should definitely have added ‘combative’ to that list of adjectives !

• A-may-zing. Get well soon Craig R-H.

• If we could get Uche back at a lot less than Middlesbrough paid us for him and on reasonable wages I'd imagine it would be an absolute no-brainer

I'd also imagine there is no chance of that happening and he'll get much more lucrative offers elsewhere

If the finances allow it though I'd love to see him back

• I'd love to have Uche back if we can make the deal work financially. And i think he'd want to return too. As for fitting in the system, i don't think you can ever have too many good forwards.

• edited November 2021

That tweet has since been deleted, but the report was that Boro will listen to offers in Jan if they can get a replacement in. But he won't be coming back here unless Vokes suddenly drops off the face of the Earth.

• Bayo's leaving at the end of the season...Vokes and Uche with McLeary and Hanlan? Yes bloody please!!

• Do you think if the opportunity was there and the finances were available Gaz would turn down the opportunity to re-sign him?

• Comes to something when Vokes is cited as a barrier to us signing a player...football supporters are a funny lot.

• It’s a question of depth again isn’t it? We have lots of players, very few of them proven at the top end of L1.