Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• edited November 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@WanderingDays said:
    I can't be the only one who thought we didn't play too badly tonight?

Bossed the first 25 minutes, but we were pegged back by an unlucky deflection from a potshot. The rest of the 1st half was poor, but we created plenty of chances in the second half and forced some great saves from their keeper, including one from Stewart which was one of the best I've ever seen live (if not the best). I'm still in disbelief that he saved it!

And let's be honest, the third goal came after a blatant foul on Hanlan (he didn't get any decisions all game). The fourth when Stocko was out of goal doesn't happen in any other situation either. Ipswich looked a good side and took their chances really well, but 4-1 was hugely flattering. If that ended 2-2 no-one would bat an eyelid.

It was just "one of those days" where all the little things you can't control went against us

It certainly wasn't the war crime some are making out. But our lack of playing to the whistle - which seems to surface every now and then - was frustrating to say the least.

Sure, but I couldn't believe the Hanlan one myself. It was so utterly blatant

I've also just seen that we had 18 shots tonight (4 more than them). And the same number of shots on target. Not exactly the signs of the terrible performance that some are talking about

• It's the usual suspects who jump to massive conclusions when we lose, but are generally somewhere between passive and silent when we win.

@PJS has got the balance about right. @ReturnToSenda is correct that it's an isolated performance. @Shev emphasises context. All level-headed stuff.

Personally I'm really disappointed that we didn't get something out of the game which we had wrapped up for the first 25 mins. I'm sure we all are. But it's not because x, y or z are suddenly sh*t.

Gasroom toys were flung out of the pram left, right and centre after we lost 7-2 to Brentford last year. Yet we steadied the ship and finished strongly. I back Gaz, Dobbo and the lads to bounce back again, as they always do.

"Never too high, never too low (except on social media)".

• @WanderingDays said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@WanderingDays said:
    I can't be the only one who thought we didn't play too badly tonight?

Bossed the first 25 minutes, but we were pegged back by an unlucky deflection from a potshot. The rest of the 1st half was poor, but we created plenty of chances in the second half and forced some great saves from their keeper, including one from Stewart which was one of the best I've ever seen live (if not the best). I'm still in disbelief that he saved it!

And let's be honest, the third goal came after a blatant foul on Hanlan (he didn't get any decisions all game). The fourth when Stocko was out of goal doesn't happen in any other situation either. Ipswich looked a good side and took their chances really well, but 4-1 was hugely flattering. If that ended 2-2 no-one would bat an eyelid.

It was just "one of those days" where all the little things you can't control went against us

It certainly wasn't the war crime some are making out. But our lack of playing to the whistle - which seems to surface every now and then - was frustrating to say the least.

Sure, but I couldn't believe the Hanlan one myself. It was so utterly blatant

I've also just seen that we had 18 shots tonight (4 more than them). And the same number of shots on target. Not exactly the signs of the terrible performance that some are talking about

Yeah, in fairness I think it's easy for us to expect the players to carry on as if nothing's happened even when it is that blatant. But there were other instances where they seemed to be appealing out of rather faint hope more than expectation.

• Not sure what happened tonight but I had a bad feeling when seeing the gridlocked roads and having to jump in a taxi when the 7pm train station bus hadn't managed to turn up by 7.20

Good start 1 up, they equalise then a shocking corner by us, with some equally woeful work from Gape and suddenly we're 2-1 down.

The ref seemed not to want to give anything in Hanlan's favour and one minute he looks to be fouled then inevitably they broke and its 3-1 game over, too much even for our late show boys.

Mentalist behaviour from Stockdale late on to complete the misery.

7 goals against in two games is a bit nerve enduring, but at least we have 2 cup games now to spread the roles across the squad and reset.

• Well there we go. That was entertaining if rather frustrating. Well done to Ipswich who have some top notch individuals, don't they, even if I thought they were over-robust when in the lead even judged by normal standards. As someone else said, we had some good chances and a draw would not have seemed out of place. I'm a bit concerned about the apparent fragility of our defence currently and hope we are not at risk of losing that doggedness and cohesion that we have had for several years now that we (perfectly properly) have a greater sense that we may be capable of success.

• @Shev said:
    One cause for optimism is that despite Wigan, Plymouth, Ipswich and Rotherham all looking amazing right now, they will all hit poor patches (as Sunderland are and possibly us too) and have to play each other whether or not they are.

Yes but you're not taking into consideration that we haven't had our traditional Christmas slump yet either.

• That pinball stuff was mad wasn't it.

How many lashes at a football can you have without it going in. Hanlan had two, someone smashed it into Vokes' balls by the look of it, Vokes had a go.
    Just madness and comedy even though we really needed a goal at that stage

• So many times it could easily have gone in, topped off with Hanlan slicing wide when he could as easily have put it in.

• I thought it a fine margins game. We played at an unsustainable tempo for 25 mins and could have had a second goal. We stood off from their first real attack and they scored.

A lot of what they tried worked, not much of what we tried worked.

For most of the last twenty minutes the game looked more likely to finish 2 -3 or 3 -3.

I don't see any reason there why we don't stand a reasonable chance of winning the return fixture at Portman Road.

Stuff to learn, but that is always the case.

• First half was very even but a mistake or two second half let Ipswich capitalise. I thought they were very good at coming forward in numbers.

Glad we have the FA cup next as a chance to rest and recover some experienced legs and send some alternates up to hartlepool on Friday surely?

• Not as disappointed as some. Come the end of the season Ipswich will be in the top 5, but probably higher.
    Midfield got over run at times, Gape looks a long way short of match fitness.
    Hanlan looks superb at present, a threat whenever he is near the ball.
    I'm a big fan of Stockdale, but he has been poor in the last two games, is there enough competition for the keepers Jersey ??
    McCarthy looks the real weak link at present, great fitness, but in the advanced wing back role, he doesn't have the technical ability to go past a full back, and his crossing is basic hit and hope.

• I've certainly seen us play worse, but that said we were well below our usual standards this evening.

We had 2 really good spells, the opening 25mins and then at 1-3. Other than that, Ipswich were clearly the better team. The referee did try and let the game flow, which was good to see, but that really was a howler in the build up the their crucial 3rd goal. I don't think fouls come much more blatant than the one on Hanlan.

As others have said, not a result to get too upset about. An off night for us, a good night for them and the performances of the 2 goalkeepers was in stark contrast. Love Stocko, but he's not had a great night, whilst their keeper was excellent.

Odd performance from Gape, he seemed well off the pace and also played a curiously advanced role that constantly left us short in midfield. Didn't appear to play his natural game at all?

• I have to admit it, really disappointed tonight.

Been a big fan of Gape over the years, but he can't lace Thompson's boots these days.

Stocko had that 1 in 100 nightmare where it all goes wrong.

Blatant foul in lead-up to their third and after we fail to convert a crazy scramble you begin to accept it's not our night.

• When we are 3-1 down in the final couple of minutes I’m happy for our keeper to be on the halfway line, if you keep the ball then you have an overload on the other team. Unfortunately McCarthy ran down a blind alley (when every fan in that corner of they ground shouted ‘pass’) to send a cross in off balance (when he could have played a simple pass backwards to the supporting player) and suddenly your fuc7ed. Overall, no idea why we changed shape tonight. That was nothing like a 3-4-2-1 as we have played in other home games, looked far more of a 5-1-3-1 with Obita never getting in the final 3rd and McCarthy struggling to get back from it. Scowen totally isolated (see goal #1) and Gape playing as number 10??? Wtf? In my book either we were set up totally wrong OR Gape was trying too hard to impress as suggested before causing lots of imbalance, but I think Gape is too intelligent a player for that. First 20, Wheeler got on the end of everything, by half time surely it was clear that we had to go 4 at the back and take off Gape / Wheeler who had completely disappeared. I can’t believe it took until so late to get the subs on. What a miserable night against a team that honestly I don’t think looked all that. The whole of the last 2 games strikes me as tinkering which was completely unnecessary. Please don’t fall into this trap Gareth and get back quickly to how we play, and cause other teams to have to change their systems in order to match up to us. League table suggests it had worked pretty well so far.

• Even in our best seasons we tend to have a result or two like this, usually against someone innocuous like Morecambe or Notts County so maybe that's our wake up call. We won't come up against many sides better than Ipswich and yet we didn't look awful for most of the game, just got pulled out of position too often by their pace and passing. Briefly looked like another mad comeback might be on when the subs came on. Pompey game will need a big statement of intent to get back on track.

And we've still conceded fewer goals in the last 2 games than Sunderland.

• Bizarre game. Stocko and JJ had a very poor night and dare I say we missed Thommo? At one point during the second half McCarthy was well ahead of Wheeler so I got very confused about who was playing where. Good subs in my opinion if a little late. Kaikai's delivery was far better than (whisper it) JJ's had been. Credit to Ipswich though...the first goal was a bit of a fluke but they were mad for it second half...we looked a bit shell-shocked. Bad and very cold night at the office. Onwards and upwards. We go again and other such cliches.

• edited November 2021

Man City lost 5-2 at home to Leicester last season and won the league.

Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford the season before - ending their chance of an unbeaten season - and won the league.

Oh, Wycombe lost 4-1 at home to Coventry in markedly more horrible fashion than tonight's defeat - then lost 4-0 at Sunderland less than two weeks later - and ... got promoted to the Championship.

Drawing grand conclusions - positive or negative - from isolated games is one of the most frustrating behaviours which football fans persist with. But it'll never change.

• Did you share the taxi with two other guys @Malone and get dropped off at the junction of Dashwood Avenue and Mill End Road ?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Even in our best seasons we tend to have a result or two like this, usually against someone innocuous like Morecambe or Notts County so maybe that's our wake up call. We won't come up against many sides better than Ipswich and yet we didn't look awful for most of the game, just got pulled out of position too often by their pace and passing. Briefly looked like another mad comeback might be on when the subs came on. Pompey game will need a big statement of intent to get back on track.

And we've still conceded fewer goals in the last 2 games than Sunderland.

Pompey game will almost certainly not be on, they have at least two full internationals of their own including their first choice keeper, and thats before we even consider if we get call ups of our own.

• My god what was that atmosphere fair play to Ipswich constantly out singing they were class tonight best fans I seen at Wycombe non stop from them wow I heard more singing from Ed Sheeran concerts then Wycombe lol ?

Next game you really got get behind them or it be another down in the dumps right time to get tucked up in bed night night Wycombe fans

• @uptheblues said:
    My god what was that atmosphere fair play to Ipswich constantly out singing they were class tonight best fans I seen at Wycombe non stop from them wow I heard more singing from Ed Sheeran concerts then Wycombe lol ?

Next game you really got get behind them or it be another down in the dumps right time to get tucked up in bed night night Wycombe fans

Ah here he is our little ?. Not a patch on Stoke back in the day mate. I can still hear Delilah now. Fancy hearing more singing at an Ed Sheeran concert that a 7,000 football crowd, whoever would have thought.

• @username123 said:

@uptheblues said:
    My god what was that atmosphere fair play to Ipswich constantly out singing they were class tonight best fans I seen at Wycombe non stop from them wow I heard more singing from Ed Sheeran concerts then Wycombe lol ?

Ah here he is our little ?. Not a patch on Stoke back in the day mate. I can still hear Delilah now. Fancy hearing more singing at an Ed Sheeran concert that a 7,000 football crowd, whoever would have thought.

lol ? ahhhh hi there user name imagine hiding behind keyboard lol ????

• edited November 2021

@uptheblues - good to see you take such delight in Wycombe losing.

• @Shev said:

How have I taken such delight geezer I was saying how it was atmosphere tonight appalling Ipswich sung there hearts out non stop think you need new specs geezer

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Will the German sausage stall be there I wonder?

I have it on good authority that all of the alternative catering has been stopped now we have our own smoker. Disappointing.

• @uptheblues said:

@Shev said:

How have I taken such delight geezer I was saying how it was atmosphere tonight appalling Ipswich sung there hearts out non stop think you need new specs geezer

Actually, you are right - you seem ever so upset we lost. Mind you, it's hard to tell, as you never actually talk about the football, just anything related to noise.

• @Shev said:

@uptheblues said:

@Shev said:

Actually, you are right - you seem ever so upset we lost. Mind you, it's hard to tell, as you never actually talk about the football, just anything related to noise.

I’m not upset geezer there always another game to win mind is set on next game so everything all good I’m not crying more to fact you seem bit sad we lost

• @uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

Hmmm. Says someone literally hiding behind a keyboard.

• @username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

Haha I think you know who I am I don’t hide fella

• @uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

@username123 said:

@uptheblues said:

Haha I think you know who I am I don’t hide fella

I really don’t. The guy in K block sitting on your own? Might explain why the away fans always seem so noisy.