Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• @uptheblues said:

Ppl constantly moaning bout everything god is there anything you don’t moan bout

Your posts. Mainly because I can't understand them.

• TBF Mrs ValleyWanderer was very uncomplimentary about the state of the ladies loos pre match.

• @MBS said:
    It’s not a good idea to engage on here with Up the Blues. If anyone knows him they would know he has issues and I believe he gets a lot of stick on the fb page. He’s not a bad lad just has things to deal with that would be hard for most of us.

I have blocked him as problems or not he seems keen to provoke people.

• Have to agree with @eric_plant I forgot Josh was on the pitch at points during the game. No-one had a belter last night, but no-one was dire and no-one gave up the ghost. And isn't it great that at 1-2 or even 1-3 we still think we can turn it around? Result aside it was a good game to watch in my opinion.

• @eric_plant said:

@floyd said:
    Still disappointed after last night, but there's reasons to believe it's a one off. It's hard to believe we'll have too many games where so many key players won't perform. Out of the starting 11 only Taff, Hanlan and Scowen looked at their best after the first twenty minutes. I'm not sure if we scored and relaxed, or they scored and we never recovered. Or both.

It's also hard to believe there'll be too many games where GA misreads the situation going into half time. We were being overrun through the middle in the last 10-15 minutes of the first half, and we didn't seem to do anything to stop it during the break.

I worry about Dom Gape, he's nowhere near the player he was two years ago. Hopefully this is down to lack of match sharpness than a long term reaction to his injury, or just going off the boil. I don't know if he as pushing forward so much last night because he was told to, or due to an abundance of enthusiasm. But that seemed to leave Scowen exposed, which in turn left our back three exposed. See also, Jason McCarthy. I'd like to see Penders start against Hartlepool.

Scowen? Blimey, I thought he had his worst game in a Wycombe shirt. Funny how we can all see the same game differently.

I thought Scowen was responsible for their second goal, although I might be wrong. Not sure what the thinking is with benching Thompson. Him and Scowen were forming a formidable partnership and now we look very lightweight in that area of the pitch. Gape is super player, Wheeler is a super player, Scowen is a super player - the three of them together v a team with pace on the flanks? Did not work

• I can only imagine Thompson is on the bench for reasons of fitness, whether it be a new knock/strain whatever or (more likely) managing a long-standing ongoing injury/condition

It's inconceivable to be that, fully fit, he would be left out of the starting lineup

• Thompson definitely struggling for fitness. Watching him in the second half against Fleetwood it was pretty obvious. He was one of our best players that day tbh.

• Last night was also exactly the kind of game Thompson would have got sent off in

• How many red cards has he had for us?

• Thompson is obviously a key player for us, if we need to manage his game time because of injury issues then that's the lesser of two evils- if he was out for a significant time that would be a massive blow

• @Wendoverman Agree about the match itself. A neutral watching that game would have been properly entertained, 2nd half especially. Some good football from both sides and chances at both ends. Disappointing from a Wycombe point of view obviously, but no denying it was a good game!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Last night was also exactly the kind of game Thompson would have got sent off in

The answer is 1 by the way. In over a hundred appearances

• Scowen always looks the more likely of the two to get sent off.

• @arnos_grove said:

@uptheblues said:

Ppl constantly moaning bout everything god is there anything you don’t moan bout

Your posts. Mainly because I can't understand them.

You did save me the effort of saying "take some food with you..prepare instead of moaning every week" but your WiFi and most other comments were spot on so I won't ;)

Compare the WiFi with Oxford where you couldn't even get into the Internet let alone stream and surf and it's like night and day.

It did take me a while to adjust to the shimmeringly bright lights though..at times it felt like watching a hi def stream and when it suddenly goes a bit blurry.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I'll stick up for Sam Vokes too. Thought he was great when served in the first half but very well marshalled out of the game in the second.

A disappointing night but no need to get in too much of a state about.

In terms of 'the matchday experience':

Village Queues: if you're going to serve food and drink separately then the queues need to be a great deal shorter / quicker. I know someone will be along to say 'who eats at a football match' but I had a 2.5 hour drive to get there and didn't want my tea at 3.30pm, so 'sod off' in advance! Missed being able to have a chat with mates as we had to split up to join different queues, both of which were in excess of 20 minutes. Food from Will Shaw's giant BBQ was v good though and my pint of 22 Carat was excellent.

Turnstiles: A smooth operation - excellent.

Pitch and floodlights: Exceptional - as @eric_plant says, there can't be better anywhere else. Sitting up in the Woodlands, the ground looks mint.

Wifi: Again, absolute class. This is a bit niche but I actually had to make some changes to my work's website last night after being notified of a problem. I was able to do it at half time on my phone without issue. That's pretty amazing (thank you).

Woodlands tea bar: Two members of staff? Not very good at all. Also, the Fetch app was saying that the tea bar was opening at 1.30pm on Saturday. Still no dedicated queue for Fetch so this remains a total waste of time

Woodlands toilets: Any chance of a plumber? A dribble of cold water and an empty paper towel dispenser. Genuinely surprised with all the improvements that this basic offering has not been attended to.

Knobhead drivers: Still seething at the bloke parked under the away end who thought it was acceptable to block most of the exiting pedestrians from the Woodlands stand and start knocking his car into passers by. What is it about motorists who think this sort of thing is acceptable? Is it that he's paid his £30k for his oversized tank and thinks that makes him special? Funny to see his gammon-faced rage when people started banging on his windows and one of his passengers screaming without any irony 'don't touch the car'. Angered by touches to his precious chariot, he decided to do a 'big man' attempt to get out of his car but only succeeded in planting his car's door into a child's face. Hope the steward dealing with him took his number plate and he's banned from parking at AP.

Was he the dickhead beeping as we were walking out?

He was behind another car with a steward stood in front and about 1000 people walking around him, don’t understand where he thought he could move to.

• Peoples expectations have changed I remember at a particularly rainy away game in Shrewsbury looking down and seeing a toilet block sailing majestically out of the gents and towards the river Severn

• When the owner makes a song and dance about great toilets in his first month it’s not beyond the wit to expect a bit of hot water and a paper towel. Having said that I know most Bucks bumpkins wipe their hands on jeans as standard.

• Looks like Blackburn may be after a new manager soon!!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Looks like Blackburn may be after a new manager soon!!

They played an hour with ten men and are still two points off the play-offs! But that result does kind of show how parachute payments skew things.

• @kiscokid said:
    When the owner makes a song and dance about great toilets in his first month it’s not beyond the wit to expect a bit of hot water and a paper towel. Having said that I know most Bucks bumpkins wipe their hands on jeans as standard.

Indeed. Washing your hands in cold water in sub zero temperatures was not much fun...not being able to dry them either was a pain.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Looks like Blackburn may be after a new manager soon

Here we go.

• Ipswich fan here.

You battered us first 20 minutes, we didn't turn up. Ironically, our left back going off injured did us a favour as we had to bring on a centre back to play there that boosted our physicality at the back post.

The goal before half time which came out of the blue changed all the momentum and we then let oir football do the talking for the first half of the second.

Then again, you never gave up and we were never comfortable until a few minutes before the end.

Hanlan was excellent I thought....

Good club, good ground, top manager...you will be up there we might make playoffs

• @MaySixth said:
    Ipswich fan here.

You battered us first 20 minutes, we didn't turn up. Ironically, our left back going off injured did us a favour as we had to bring on a centre back to play there that boosted our physicality at the back post.

The goal before half time which came out of the blue changed all the momentum and we then let oir football do the talking for the first half of the second.

Then again, you never gave up and we were never comfortable until a few minutes before the end.

Good club, good ground, top manager...you will be up there we might make playoffs

Cheers for coming on. I have always thought you Ipswich fans must be class since you held up the 'Billy Kee You Are Not Alone' banner.

Really good game for a lopsided score! It looks like you are properly going through the gears now.

• Nice comments @MaySixth. Much appreciated.

• @MaySixth said:
    Ipswich fan here.

Good read..Great start by Wycombe and Ipswich were not in it untill your 1st goal..2nd half you had a golden spell with the 2 quick goals..ref was kind to you I thought.Thought Wycombe deserved another goal late

• It was a game where we need to take it on the chin. After a brilliant first 20 we started to come unstuck as we ran out of steam with the high press.
    The left back injury also took Wheeler out of the game. I was really disappointed that Hanlan and Wheeler didn't swap sides at all to see if they could get better results out of the players marking them.
    2 seasons ago, in this league, we would have got 10 men behind the ball and frustrated a good passing outfit. We would have not engaged with them until they past the halfway line. This resulted in some good 1-0 wins - Sunderland springs to mind.
    Admittedly we have a better squad this season but it was still very apparent in the last 20 of the first half they were just waiting for our high press and then were knocking the ball around us. For their first goal we didn't have a player within 10 yards of Celina when he received the ball 30 yards from goal.
    I thought we should have changed it up and sat in for a while to take the sting out of their game.
    It is a pet hate of mine about withdrawing a midfielder and having 5 attackers on the pitch. For a few minutes it worked but for the last 10 minutes (including added time) we just couldn't get the ball. Vokes should have been withdrawn to allow Hanlan/Kaikai to play off Bayo. The sight of Bayo flicking onto Vokes and vice versa was so frustrating.
    All in all I think we will learn from last night and look to be more conservative with the high press if a team starts to take us apart when we tire.
    The good thing about a heavy defeat is that it makes everyone sit up, reflect and become a bit more determined to put things right.
    Ainsworth said as much last night on Skysports, he as also very complimentary of Ipswich, said we had our chances and didn't take them and could easily have been 3-3. I agree!
    COYB!

• The game reminded me so much of Wycombe 1-4 Coventry from Dec 2019.

• @YorkshireBlue In some ways perhaps, but we were completely outplayed that day by Coventry, with 1-4 being a very fair reflection of the match. Tuesday was decided much more on fine margins and we were nowhere near as bad as we were against Cov. That said, certainly no denying Ipswich were the better side over the 90mins.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    @YorkshireBlue In some ways perhaps, but we were completely outplayed that day by Coventry, with 1-4 being a very fair reflection of the match. Tuesday was decided much more on fine margins and we were nowhere near as bad as we were against Cov. That said, certainly no denying Ipswich were the better side over the 90mins.

It's good football provokes discussion and different opinions. For the first 20mins I thought we looked good and as per usual when dominating should have scored more than just the one goal. For the next 70 mins I thought we were completely outplayed as per the Coventry game. Partly because we were poor but mostly because they played some fantastic flowing football on the floor that stretched us.

• @Commoner agree about a Wheeler Hanlan side switch. I thought it would keep their defence guessing and pull them about but I am no manager. We did leave a lot of space on the left as the first half went on and they just kept pinging balls there. If I could see it I was surprised the players and management could not.?