Skip to content

Match day thread: Fleetwood

Comments

• Their 22 totally changed the game and it took us too long to respond.

In contrast, Mehmeti was absolutely dreadful when he came on.

Very frustrating not to win. The first time all season you really feel it is a case of points dropped.

• Their triple substitution completely changed the game. If it had been us we'd be hailing it as a tactical masterclass.

Another game unbeaten and hopefully McCleary back for Tuesday.

Could be so much worse, we could be Sunderland fans.

• Abandoning the back 3 was working a treat - until we switched back to it mid game when 3-1 up. Why we did that is anyone's guess. On the other hand Fleetwood triple sub invigorated them. The quick winger that equalised was given too much room by JJ backing off and Obita nowhere near it. So frustrating as we had murdered them up until the hour mark.

Bizarre to switch formation when so in control and having comprehensively won the battle up until that point. Also bringing off Thompson was odd especially when it wasn't Gape coming on in his place. Kamikaze stuff which is unlike an Ainsworth team. Mehmeti when brought on was poor. Kaikai deserves more of a chance.

That said- one of the all time great Wycombe performances by Hanlan today. Great goal, superb assist, should have had a pen at 3-3, and terrorised them throughout.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Did someone say that McCleary had a pre-match fitness test today or did I imagine it?

He had one the other day

• Very un-Wycombe-like to score 3 away from home and not win but it's another point towards where we want to be and we've got a great game now to look forward to on Tuesday night

Plus, how good is Newcastle away going to be next season?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    No more tinkering on Tuesday please, Gaz. Still haven't quite worked out why he abandoned the back three today.

5 across the midfield of fleetwood packing and out numbering out midfield seems an obvious reason for a change, if the formation shown on the bbc is half way accurate. (Which it probably isnt).

With 5 in midfield, they could easily push out wing backs deep (into a defacto back 5)and leave the 3 attacking players isolated and/or relying on long balls.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    No more tinkering on Tuesday please, Gaz. Still haven't quite worked out why he abandoned the back three today.

5 across the midfield of fleetwood packing and out numbering out midfield seems an obvious reason for a change, if the formation shown on the bbc is half way accurate. (Which it probably isnt).

With 5 in midfield, they could easily push out wing backs deep (into a defacto back 5)and leave the 3 attacking players isolated and/or relying on long balls.

Maybe, but I just there's the risk of it stunting your rhythm longer term when you've got a good thong going on.

• Who's got a good thong on !?!?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Who's got a good thong on !?!?

Maybe the next phase of those sports bras players now wear?

• 3-3 a fair result for me. We were dominant in the first half, but they were the better team after their triple sub. Their 22 was superb when he came on (as was Hanlan.)

The change in formation from 4-2-1-3 seemed logical to close up a very open game when we had a 2 goal cushion.

• @Chris said:
    3-3 a fair result for me. We were dominant in the first half, but they were the better team after their triple sub. Their 22 was superb when he came on (as was Hanlan.)

The change in formation from 4-2-1-3 seemed logical to close up a very open game when we had a 2 goal cushion.

Spot on Chris, completely agree with your comments.

• Just watched the highlights and two words: BRANDON HANLAN. Signing of the summer imo.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watched the highlights and two words: BRANDON HANLAN. Signing of the summer imo.

Absolutely! On that note, anyone who was there have a thought on his penalty shout? Looked stone cold to me, but TV angle was wrong side of the defender to tell for sure.

• @Glenactico said:
    Their 22 totally changed the game and it took us too long to respond.

In contrast, Mehmeti was absolutely dreadful when he came on.

Very frustrating not to win. The first time all season you really feel it is a case of points dropped.

Spot on.

• Even when we went a goal down i thought we'd win this. Go 3-1 up and it was happy days. Can't believe we never won that. Everytime they tried to play out from the back they never got out of their own half. Someone mentioned before the 22 for fleetwood he changed the game.

Even at 3-3 I still fancied us.

As for the day, took the girls to Jim's bar before the match. Probably the best pre match atmosphere I've experienced, £2 a pint 12 till 2pm. DJ on with good songs, involved both the home and away fans.

Not a bad sign when I'm disappointed with a draw away from home. Remember going to fleetwood and getting knocked out out cup when they were non league I think.

• Yes, and Vardy was the star that day.

• Jordan Ibe (pronounced Eeb by the commentator) came on as a substitute aged 15.

• Being 3-1 up I was anticipating the win but in the end with Fleetwood hitting the woodwork at 3-3, this was a good point.
    The commentators curse was put on the result when @bluntphil said we were top of the league when 3-1 up and Ipswich were level at Plymouth. Only joking Phil, great commentary as usual, full of feeling and knowledge.

• Presumably after today it will make pre-match preparations against us trickier for opposition managers.

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watched the highlights and two words: BRANDON HANLAN. Signing of the summer imo.

Absolutely! On that note, anyone who was there have a thought on his penalty shout? Looked stone cold to me, but TV angle was wrong side of the defender to tell for sure.

He was absolutely superb. Great roll of the centre back and finish. And then a brilliant run to assist Vokes.

He looks a real handful. Fast, strong and able to finish. Absolute nightmare for any defence and I think our way of playing should get the best from him.

Very impressed so far and was our MOTM today.

• Shout out for Bayo as well. Excellent game today. At 39 he’s still making a huge contribution. Remarkable

• How on earth did Hanlan not get a penalty for that trip

• Credit where’s its due - a stunning fight back from a very spirited team. We were great value for our 3 1 lead, with Harlan imperious. The second half Shayden Morris performance then stole the show….if only Joe Jacobson had some pace he’d be playing in the Premier league, but that was his downfall today. Josh Scowen looked off the pace today, but he has been clattered heavily numerous times in previous weeks. All in all happy with a point, sad it wasn’t all three. Just arrived back home on the South Coast…long but enjoyable day!!

• Bayo's finish was excellent. Love a good old roof-of-the-netter

• Point against Rotherham looking like a good result again today

• @MBS said:
    Credit where’s its due - a stunning fight back from a very spirited team. We were great value for our 3 1 lead, with Harlan imperious. The second half Shayden Morris performance then stole the show….if only Joe Jacobson had some pace he’d be playing in the Premier league, but that was his downfall today. Josh Scowen looked off the pace today, but he has been clattered heavily numerous times in previous weeks. All in all happy with a point, sad it wasn’t all three. Just arrived back home on the South Coast…long but enjoyable day!!

Credit where it’s due indeed. The commitment of supporters like you @MBS is remarkable (and some would say you deserve to be committed!) but, seriously, I think you deserve enormous credit.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    How on earth did Hanlan not get a penalty for that trip

That's what I was thinking too. The ref seemed to be in good position for some very obvious fouls which he did not always give.

• Advice please, guys. A Wimbledon supporting friend reckons that, for the usual £10 fee, he is able to watch them on iFollow on a Saturday afternoon. Is that something that is allowed for certain clubs? I mentioned having to go through VPN (or whatever) but he was adamant that such subterfuge was unnecessary.
    I’m hoping to be able to watch the Ipswich game on Tuesday.

• You travel 3:59 hours to sit in frgin silence and don’t even sing at all my god if your gonna do that I rather go to the library read books my god ??

• @uptheblues said:
    You travel 3:59 hours to sit in frgin silence and don’t even sing at all my god if your gonna do that I rather go to the library read books my god ??

Well, perhaps you should follow your own advice and visit said library. Maybe then, your use of the English language could improve?