Skip to content

Other Football

Comments

• I see, fair enough.

For what it's worth I don't think England fans think we have a divine right to win tournaments

• In all seriousness, Southgate is somehow both one of the best England managers of all time, and not even the best current England football manager.

• edited September 2023

Despite my misgivings over certain areas, I would still have him ranked ahead of Hodgson, Capello, Sven, McClaren, Keegan and Taylor without hesitation (and of course Big Sam's one game), with other managers up for debate. He has built a platform of team unity that has enabled the national team to push on and have a good atmosphere around them. 1 major final, 2 major semis and 3 major quarters is a decent return.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited September 2023

El Tel and Hoddle both up there for me, Sven for having that barnet and still being able to pull Ulrika, would love to know his secret.

• edited September 2023

You're never guaranteed anything even as favourites but It's not horrendous to think we're overdue a trophy though surely. All the major European footballing countries have had their bad times and rebuilds and plans, and centres of excellence and foreign managers, golden generations and all that guff but most of them have won a euros or a World Cup somewhere along the line.

1-5 in Munich was probably our greatest single win in decades and led to the Germans sacking everyone anywhere near it but a few years later and they seemed to be better than us again and a few more and they win the world cup.

• In our favour - Bellingham is on course to be one of the three best players on earth (along with Mbappe and Haaland) very shortly, and some ridiculous talent from midfield onward, such as Saka, Rice, Foden, Eze, and Grealish.

It is a little bit of a shame Bellingham did not choose an English team, simply to make it easier to see more of him. He is absolutely astonishing.

• I don't think it's a stretch to say he's already in that top three

• Add to that midfield list a possible return of Sterling, still a chance of Olise declaring internationally for England seniors, the chance of Sancho achieving his potential if he can get out of ManUtd. Would like to see a couple more options on the forward line, Kane has two major tournaments at least, but he isn't going to be playing indefinitely.

• Hopefully Toney comes back all guns blazing after his ban and does enough to make the Euro squad

• Ollie Watkins has probably been a bit unlucky on the goals front so far this season - looks just as hot as last season, underrated player imo.

• It's a shame Balogun has opted for the US - another one who seems to have serious potential - but Nketiah looks to have another few gears in him yet, which could be handy.

• It's a real shame he didn't choose the Republic of Ireland over England.

• The fact that Rice, Kane and Grealish could all have chosen Ireland too is definitely a missed opportunity for some collusion to get a World Cup trophy into Irish hands!

• It's a shame that the next Harry Kane can only play for Ireland now!

• I once had the misfortune of queueing behind Miss Jonsson at a Bourne End petrol station. I'm not sure the tight black leather trousers were sensible driving dress but I did understand Sven's distraction.

• edited September 2023

Who was the last player that kept being selected by England but never featured for their club in the league? Surely the Maguire situation can't go on?

• edited September 2023

Why is it that most England Squads seem to have a number of people who in them who have a claim to another country?! England Cricket have a lot of high-profile players who could / should have played for other nations!

• I'd be tempted to say Kalvin Phillips, but then of course they both played in their club's last game.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited September 2023

How does the size of a gentleman's wallet or indeed a lady's predisposition to wallets of a certain size ever get into the public domain? Is it because you bumped into him in the changing rooms at your private members' club?

• I'm not so sure they should have, but maybe could have. Some of the higher profile cricket ones had legitimate rights to play for England, Owen Morgan and Kevin Pietersen for example both had English mothers

• And Ireland weren't a Test team at the time Morgan came through, I don't think? Would have been harsh to block a good player reaching the highest level (a bit different in football as there are obviously so many more 'top' nations).

• I think most of the France squad at the last World Cup could have played for two countries - a lot could have played for three. A natural consequence of increased migration and a very positive thing - it strengthens a lot of the African countries too as increased competition makes players pick them instead of France. It's a good thing.

• edited September 2023

It's interesting how obsessed everyone gets with Maguire when Phillips is in a similar position.

For all the positives enhanced coverage and social media gives, there's a lot of parts of it that are just utterly loathsome.

For some the bitterness and slating someone else / some other club seem to give them more enjoyment than their own club's good times.

• edited September 2023

I think there is a lot more mixed heritage nowadays with how relatively easy it is to travel, immigrate and generally move around the globe, so it is not massively surprising that people have so many options.

I could qualify for England, Ireland or the U.S.A. personally, if I had a shred of athleticism. I have a niece who is half Brazilian, my brother-in-law is half Greek and my brother's ex-wife was South African, so even in one relatively small family unit we represent six countries and four continents (allowing the ex to stay involved!), and another brother may potentially marry into a Vietnamese family. If I think of other friends, especially in England (compared to the U.S.), it tends to be a similar story. I would guess many on this forum would have similar expansive national representations among their extended families. I would actually guess it to be more rare to only qualify for one country!

• I only qualify for one...despite constant attempts to procure some romantic Celtic/European origins, I am profoundly English and profoundly East Midlands English on both sides. Paternal family name is rarely situated very far from Nottingham, Derbyshire and the edge of Yorkshire. Unfortunately I would also make an appalling Centre Back.