Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Vokes body language doesn’t look good.

Think he's been ticking over fine, needs help with 2nd balls. You feel we need another attacking option against landell and Pierre than just getting it wide and in there

• We're not able to hold onto the ball for as long in the final third and it's making us vulnerable. We should create enough chances to largely offset that, but you can see we're missing McCleary and/or Horgan.

• Scowen is looking very ragged
    Vokes seems very frustrated which hopefully will motivate him to make something happen
    Grimmer & McCarthy need to remember they have defensive responsibilities too

• @JohnBoy said:
    Anyone use Airplay to stream from mobile device to smart TV? Works great, but I can only get home commentary, despite picking away from the settings on my phone.

That works now? Cool. Saves me having to find a lead

• I think we’ve looked more dangerous with the ball on the ground, not sure firing it up to Vokes today is going to be the best strategy against a solid Shrewsbury defence who are winning every second ball

• Has Kaikai done anything asides from getting booked?

• Shrewsbury are a dirty bunch, aren't they?

• edited September 2021

Then again, Cotterill, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

• They are well versed in the "dark arts" which seems to be adding to Vokes frustration too

• Kashket scored for Crewe tonight. Can’t help thinking him and Vokes could have worked.

• The annoying thing is, and I'm aware this is something teams will have said about Wycombe over the years, is that we've got the players to pass our way around Shrews and not be suckered in by hoofball

• Kaikai is non existent. Probably not helped with McCarthy out of position next to him but even so.

• That’s a lovely ball from Scowen, surely Vokes has to be getting on the end of that. Lovely pass from Kaikai too, get the ball at his and Hanlan’s feet and they can cause danger

• That corner was beautifully bought by Vokes et al. Wonderful shithousery

• edited September 2021

Nothing to wet the bed about but not good enough so far. We've allowed ourselves to get dragged into a scrappy one.

• Stockdale has probably been our best passer there. His distribution is so so good.

• Absolutely no room in the middle, Shrewsbury are doing a better job of moving the ball forward so far.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    Kashket scored for Crewe tonight. Can’t help thinking him and Vokes could have worked.

First goal wasn't it? We'll see if he's banging them in while we struggle First.

• Why are we not playing football like we did towards the end of last season? That was a pretty poor watch.

• Am I alone in being disappointed with our attacking play in that half, tactically as much as anything else? I have the strong feeling that if we kept the ball to feet a bit more, we'd have the breaking of that defence whereas we're feeding their strengths by the continuous long balls to Bayo/Vokes.

• Very even game, could be a bit of magic from McCleary that makes the difference. McCarthy and Grimmer both playing well but it’s a shame we don’t have another LWB in the squad.

• Pretty toothless in attack tonight after a promising start. Like a 20 year old dog trying to gum its victim to death.

• Kaikai doesn't look like he knows what position he is supposed to be playing and we are sadly missing the creative vision and flair of Horgan & McCleary

• Just saw we had 50% possession in the first half. Unforgivably high

• Don’t look much of a threat going forward. Need to get McCleary on early in the second half.

• Really strange that the statistics they've just put up on iFollow show us as superior in most areas including 50.2% possession! No way I'm looking at the same game!

• @HCblue said:
    Am I alone in being disappointed with our attacking play in that half, tactically as much as anything else? I have the strong feeling that if we kept the ball to feet a bit more, we'd have the breaking of that defence whereas we're feeding their strengths by the continuous long balls to Bayo/Vokes.

Didn’t spot Bayo coming on which is surprising considering he’s not easy to miss!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@JohnBoy said:
    Anyone use Airplay to stream from mobile device to smart TV? Works great, but I can only get home commentary, despite picking away from the settings on my phone.

That works now? Cool. Saves me having to find a lead

It’s hit and miss, took me four or five goes to get the picture and not just the sound. But alas, no Phil. So the lead might be better.

• This game is crying out for Mcgleary and Horgan.

• Second half will sort it out.

Or at least we'll be able to see it closer for those of us here.