Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• 2-1 to the fantastic bastards

• Get in - happy with any away win

• Some bang average performances there, which makes it even sweeter

• @username123 said:
    When did Pierre learn to sprint??

Doesn’t he literally have some sort of background in sprinting?

• I see perennial bookies' favourites for promotion Portsmouth are setting the league on fire again.

• Two moments of real quality in a game that could be stored in a time capsule as an example of the English third division. Not a top six believer yet, but that’s a great win.

• Well that put paid to the whole “Bayo shouldn’t come on when we’re backs against the wall defending a lead” debate, he was superb.

• Felt a little familiar to Charlton at times in that second half, but the win is the important thing and a great response from MK. Quite often last season we spoke about how clinical teams in the Championship were and how we’d lose games out of nowhere from just 1 or 2 clear-cut chances. We showed that clinical edge in the second half today.

Onto Morecambe now, COTB!

• @Chris said:

@username123 said:

Represented Middlesex as a sprinter in his youth. So the answer is as a child.

• @drcongo said:
    Well that put paid to the whole “Bayo shouldn’t come on when we’re backs against the wall defending a lead” debate, he was superb.

Agreed. Ball stuck to him like glue

• Well it wasn't pretty but a good 3 points on a midweek game

• @Chris said:

@username123 said:

Always was very quick defensively and good carrying, if not always passing the ball out. Great player for us and decent at times tonight.

Thought we were more positive at 2-1 and that's a very good 3 points, not that there are bad ones. The league is starting to split, good to keep pace a bit.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Tricky end as this is for everyone it looks good for me in the prediction league 1-2!?

Me too, I just wish we wouldn't concede so early.

• That was far from pretty but a wins a great result....

• Is it true that the pitch invader was @eric_plant running on to congratulate the ref?

• Back into the play-offs, having played 3 games at home and 6 games away. Morecambe had a good win tonight but we have to hope for another 3 points on Saturday.

• Sheriff Tiraspol with a touching Wycombe tribute tonight - won 2-1 away to Real Madrid with an 89-minute thunderbastard after having four shots to Real's 31 and 24% possession.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:
    Am I alone in being disappointed with our attacking play in that half, tactically as much as anything else? I have the strong feeling that if we kept the ball to feet a bit more, we'd have the breaking of that defence whereas we're feeding their strengths by the continuous long balls to Bayo/Vokes.

Didn’t spot Bayo coming on which is surprising considering he’s not easy to miss!

The point having been that he may as well have been for the tactics we were playing.

Glad to have the points but not a great performance at either end, I thought, bar the taking of the two chances.

• That was an ugly win, but to get 3 points whilst resting key players is a great result.

• @drcongo said:
    Well that put paid to the whole “Bayo shouldn’t come on when we’re backs against the wall defending a lead” debate, he was superb.

Absolutely right, he still has plenty to offer in certain circumstances.

• @jessvl1 said:

@drcongo said:

Puzzling that they smothered Vokes all night. Bayo comes on and wins nearly every ball that comes his way. Did they drop off Bayo not thinking he was a threat or did he do something Vokes didn’t?

• @PBo said:
    @floyd said:

Doncaster are terrible.

Outrageous.

Their manager was perfectly confident before tonight.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/ipswich-town-v-doncaster-rovers-i-honestly-think-weve-turned-a-corner-richie-wellens-3398576

‘I honestly think we’ve turned a corner’ doesn’t age well

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@jessvl1 said:

@drcongo said:

Puzzling that they smothered Vokes all night. Bayo comes on and wins nearly every ball that comes his way. Did they drop off Bayo not thinking he was a threat or did he do something Vokes didn’t?

It doesn't always come off for Bayo and he isn't mobile but his control of the ball has always been unbelievable. Vokes needs games but he's not that sort of player. I'm not sure who else is.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@jessvl1 said:

@drcongo said:

I guess game context also comes into it. They were playing higher up rather than sitting as deep as they were vs Vokes in the first half, and also seemed a bit more spaced out to chase the game as Pierre etc stormed forward leaving Bayo in 1v1s.

Always impressed by Bayo’s touch and hold up play, he and McLeary really took the sting out of things towards the end.

• Vokes was largely anonymous tonight, though not long before being subbed he did a fantastic control-turn-run with the ball that bought us some time while under pressure. I'd like to see more of that from him. I get the feeling that not having McCleary and Horgan just behind him contributed more to his lacklustre evening than the two centre backs who were marking him.

• @Thicketblue said:
    Back into the play-offs, having played 3 games at home and 6 games away. Morecambe had a good win tonight but we have to hope for another 3 points on Saturday.

Hadn’t realised how few home games! That is impressive, also we have faced Wigan and Sunderland away too.

• @Chris said:

@username123 said:

Seem to remember reading in a programme that he was a 100m runner at a pretty high level as a youngster.

• Poor game but great result. Look pretty sterile upfront. Without McClearly , we lack creativity.

• Well it wasn’t pretty and a win wasn’t guaranteed but after 95 minutes of sweat and effort we got some diesel.