Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• This is the problem with not getting more strength in depth in the wingback position. I presume Obita has had a knock which means we're playing a right wingback as left wingback and a right back as right wingback. Far from ideal.

• McCarthy midfield or LWB? Former might be interesting, would expect the latter

• McCarthy LWB?

• The JJ LWB experiment starts here.

• I imagine it's just rotation - fair enough really as he's played in every game so far and the full 90 in most of those - but I'd have gone with Wheeler at LWB and McCarthy over Grimmer at RWB. We're fine for depth.

• Looks like 442. KaiKai left wing?

• JJ at left wing back mainly staying back and McCarthy at right wing back with much more license to get forward?

• Stockdale GK
    Grimmer RCB
    Stewart CB
    Tafazolli LCB
    McCarthy RWB
    Thompson RCM
    Scowen LCM
    Jacobson LWB
    Kaikai CAM
    Vokes RS
    Hanlan LS

• Unless we're playing 4-4-2 with McCarthy at RM, or 4-3-3 with McCarthy alongside Thompson and Scowen in midfield...

• Much more likely to have McCarthy at LWB than JJ

• Seems unlikely he's going to pick the existing back 3 then move them all around but you never know. McCarthy probably gagging for a game or two at RWB still have nightmares from last time he played LWB

• Doubt it - would imagine we're matching their own 3-4-1-2.

• @thedieharder said:
    Stockdale GK
    Grimmer RCB
    Stewart CB
    Tafazolli LCB
    McCarthy RWB
    Thompson RCM
    Scowen LCM
    Jacobson LWB
    Kaikai CAM
    Vokes RS
    Hanlan LS

I think McCarthy is playing LWB, Grimmer RWB. Jacobson CB with Taf and Stewart

• Got to be McCarthy and Grimmer as WBs hasn’t it?

• Excited to see Hanlan with Kaikai. Very dangerous on the counter

• anyone having problems on Ifollow ?.getting error message when going through to the Wycombe page

• @Wanderers82 said:
    anyone having problems on Ifollow ?.getting error message when going through to the Wycombe page

Working for me so far on chrome

• Three ex-Shrewsbury players in the Wycombe team tonight. JJ and Kaikai with an Olimpico each, Shrewsbury pull it back to 2-2 before Grimmer fires in a stoppage-time thunderbastard for his first goal at long last?

• @Mandown said:
    Looks like 442. KaiKai left wing?

Was gonna say, is 442 so unthinkable these days tHat people are suggesting we're playing grimmer or Mccarthy at left wing back.

Hopefully it's Vokes and Hanlan as a pair. That could be a superb combo.

• If it’s 4-4-2 McCarthy seems an odd choice as winger.

• No chance it's 4-4-2 - Gaz has a system he's got great faith in, don't fuck around with it needlessly - and McCarthy at LWB isn't exactly radical.

• edited September 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    No chance it's 4-4-2 - Gaz has a system he's got great faith in, don't fuck around with it needlessly - and McCarthy at LWB isn't exactly radical.

Not radical, no, but also with a short track record of fairly disastrous outcomes.

• @HCblue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    No chance it's 4-4-2 - Gaz has a system he's got great faith in, don't fuck around with it needlessly - and McCarthy at LWB isn't exactly radical.

Not radical, no, but also with a short track record of fairly disastrous outcomes.

More than one system when things go wrong or certain players aren't available isn't exactly radical f*cking about either

• I don't remember McCarthy ever playing LWB

• @jessvl1 said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    anyone having problems on Ifollow ?.getting error message when going through to the Wycombe page

Working for me so far on chrome

The sound is horrendous at the moment but apparently Nathan Jones sounds like that

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I don't remember McCarthy ever playing LWB

Swansea at home last season. I wish I could forget.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Not radical, no, but also with a short track record of disastrous outcomes.> @ReturnToSenda said:

I don't remember McCarthy ever playing LWB

Forgive me. I'm conflating LB with LWB. McCarthy had those pretty bad outings at LB last season and I was thinking that might have been enough to put the idea of his playing on the left to bed for a good while.

• Do we still get midweek ifollow league games free of charge?

• Is there a better bench in L1? Extraordinary!

• Phil going for McCarthy CB