Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I agree that the referee rather than us created a scrappy stop start game...and idea Lincoln were above commiting cynical fouls is laughable.

• Clearly there needs to be some sort of sarcasm emoticon on here.

• @aloysius I would argue we would still be in the Championship if we had not lost and drawn games against Luton and Swansea having been leading. And the reason we can afford and attract playets like Vokes is because of that season. But for an injury ravaged early season we proved we had the players to have survived. A million pound striker would not necessarily have stopped us conceding.

• We went down by 1 point.
    We didn't need any mad signings, we just needed to not lose that one game against Derby late on!

• To be honest @Malone and @Wendoverman, our bad start to the season was the reason we went down and I put that down to Uche, Taf and to some extent Adeniran and Admiral not being fit.

We got blown away in some of those early games and lost a few we should have drawn or won. I am not putting our team or management down as it was a massive learning curve but next season we will be ready.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    To be honest @Malone and @Wendoverman, our bad start to the season was the reason we went down and I put that down to Uche, Taf and to some extent Adeniran and Admiral not being fit.

And Bayo also missing so we had a powderpuff attack for those first 7 games.

• @mooneyman said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    To be honest @Malone and @Wendoverman, our bad start to the season was the reason we went down and I put that down to Uche, Taf and to some extent Adeniran and Admiral not being fit.

And Bayo also missing so we had a powderpuff attack for those first 7 games.

Indeed. My point is to @aloysius has always been...we had the players to survive we just did not get the luck or the results(though we were not far off). That's football. Rob C 'opening his chequebook' to sign The Player would not have guaranteed survival as seems to be the suggestion any more than signing Sam Vokes now guarantees promotion.

• Here's a question around the incident in the first half when their number 9 was lying injured in the penalty area as play carried on around him. The ref eventually stopped play and called on the trainer who attended to him for quite a while. Had they scored during the ref's very delayed reaction to the injury - would it have counted?

• We'd have stayed up if Stockdale had started last season IMO but all in the past now

• edited August 2021

@woodlands said:
    Here's a question around the incident in the first half when their number 9 was lying injured in the penalty area as play carried on around him. The ref eventually stopped play and called on the trainer who attended to him for quite a while. Had they scored during the ref's very delayed reaction to the injury - would it have counted?

Based on the same thing happening to us with Blooms the previous time we played Lincoln, yes. Whether it should, I'm not sure.

• @eric_plant said:
    We'd have stayed up if Stockdale had started last season IMO but all in the past now

Yep, I reckon his control of the area and the confidence he inspires in the defence would have been worth a few more points. But as you say, it's in the past. The good news is - he's playing this season.

• Given that for the second half of last season we did have a £1 million player at number 9 - I’m not sure there ever was an argument that we needed another

• I know it's all about opinions and all that hoopla but I'm struggle to comprehend how anyone can come away from Adams Park not feeling as giddy as a goat!

This team is simply wonderful to watch. There is so much quality, which added to the endeavour makes for such an entertaining side. I think this might be the best team we've ever had.

The key is the 3-4-2-1 formation which works to perfection. I love that Gareth Ainsworth, supposedly a manager who eschews flair, sets up with not one No. 10 but two! It really is bringing out the best in Daryl Horgan and as for Garath McCleary... what a pleasure it is to watch him!

Every player yesterday was superb and the high press was brilliant to watch. It worked so well, thanks to the willingness to press by Curtis Thompson and Josh Scowen. The wing-backs were pivotal again, ensuring we play in the opposition half and Jordan Obita got a well-deserved assist.

Jack Grimmer, Anthony Stewart and Joe Jacobson look so comfortable in a back three and with David Stockdale behind them, it's no surprise. I think it's already hard to argue that he is the best goalkeeper we have ever had, and I am a huge Paul Hyde fanboy.

I love how we've made two excellent teams in Accrington Stanley and Lincoln City look ordinary. I love how we've completely knocked them off their game and struggle to find alternatives. That is testimony to how hard the players work but also to Gareth Ainsworth and Richard Dobson's tactical acumen.

We are very lucky to be watching a team as good as this. I am going to enjoy it for at long as it lasts. I can't wait to see what we do to Sunderland!

• @glasshalfempty said:
    I know it's all about opinions and all that hoopla but I'm struggle to comprehend how anyone can come away from Adams Park not feeling as giddy as a goat!

Who are you and what have you done to Che?

• @woodlands said:
    Here's a question around the incident in the first half when their number 9 was lying injured in the penalty area as play carried on around him. The ref eventually stopped play and called on the trainer who attended to him for quite a while. Had they scored during the ref's very delayed reaction to the injury - would it have counted?

I think I’m the only one on here (and in the ground) but I actually don’t have a problem with the referee letting the phase of play continue with their guy on the ground (unless it was a head injury).

Lincoln were on the attack and it seemed fair to let play continue as it was hardly to their advantage being one player down.

And once we won the ball back, then seemed the right time to stop play. I’d have been annoyed if the ref had stopped play if it was the other way round.

Our players reactions were a bit disappointing I thought, even if he had judged it wrong but did contribute to the ref losing the plot up to half time

• @bookertease said:

@woodlands said:

I think I’m the only one on here (and in the ground) but I actually don’t have a problem with the referee letting the phase of play continue with their guy on the ground (unless it was a head injury).

Lincoln were on the attack and it seemed fair to let play continue as it was hardly to their advantage being one player down.

And once we won the ball back, then seemed the right time to stop play. I’d have been annoyed if the ref had stopped play if it was the other way round.

Our players reactions were a bit disappointing I thought, even if he had judged it wrong but did contribute to the ref losing the plot up to half time

I'm amazed at this viewpoint. Maybe only you and the ref share it?

It's either an injury that needs immediate stopping, or you wait until someone puts the ball out surely.

You don't give them license to play on around their own supposedly badly injured team mate, then decide to cut it off the second their attack breaks down.
    It was baffling.

• It was a head injury, play should have been stopped immediately

• @Vital said:

@glasshalfempty said:
    I know it's all about opinions and all that hoopla but I'm struggle to comprehend how anyone can come away from Adams Park not feeling as giddy as a goat!

Who are you and what have you done to Che?

Muffled yelps and scuffling sounds

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@woodlands said:

It's either an injury that needs immediate stopping, or you wait until someone puts the ball out surely.

You don't give them license to play on around their own supposedly badly injured team mate, then decide to cut it off the second their attack breaks down.
    It was baffling.

It made some sense to me, too. Happy for the ref to allow the attack to continue at first so long as it did not seem the player was either interfering with play or seriously injured. When he stayed down and the attack was negated with us winning the ball but not having an obvious, realistic counter-attacking opportunity, perfectly happy that he stop play for attention to be given to the chap. Quite a gash on his cheek he had, as it happens.

• "I don't know what you see in McCleary"

Might get it put on a t-shirt

• It was a head injury, wasn't it? In which case you stop play immediately, no two ways about it. But as I say, look at what happened with Blooms the other season.

• @eric_plant said:
    "I don't know what you see in McCleary"

Might get it put on a t-shirt

https://gasroom.org/discussion/2118/new-signing-alert/p1

I'm thinking of getting a t-shirt too. Which quote would you like me to put on mine?

• We'll call that a draw!

• I couldn’t make it yesterday so I’m watching the full match replay on iFollow now. This really is excellent play.

• Hahaha! Pfft! When Garath McCleary becomes our leading Football League goalscorer maybe!

• @drcongo said:
    I couldn’t make it yesterday so I’m watching the full match replay on iFollow now. This really is excellent play.

Good thing you couldn't make it.

I wouldn't want to watch that twice every week!

• Would it be too @aloysius to point out that not everyone was anti-signing Akinfenwa on that thread…

• I’m going to be commenting like I’m at the match. McCleary is a magician, Freeman looks like a natural wingback, Stewart is hard as nails.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@woodlands said:

It was baffling.

Actually can only really blame their forwards, the ref presumably played on as he didn't think it was serious, partly as they chose to play on around him. When the main action had passed he would probably have got up if he was ok and the very fact he was still down suggested it was probably more serious. Neglegent not to stop play as annoying as it was in the context of us attacking.

Ref was horseshit though so no real idea what he was thinking. Notice how the Lincoln fans thought we were dirty but failed to mention their defenders jumping all over Vokes.

Laughable idea btw that because he is good we should definitely have bought him earlier because of course be was available.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@woodlands said:

It was baffling.

It made some sense to me, too. Happy for the ref to allow the attack to continue at first so long as it did not seem the player was either interfering with play or seriously injured. When he stayed down and the attack was negated with us winning the ball but not having an obvious, realistic counter-attacking opportunity, perfectly happy that he stop play for attention to be given to the chap. Quite a gash on his cheek he had, as it happens.

Surely laying down in the penalty area he would be interfering in play. Defenders trying to not stand on him for one thing, attackers likewise. What if someone shots and the ball deflects off him, wrong foots Stockdale and the ball goes in the net? For me, it was a head injury and play should have Bern stopped immediately. ?