Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Excellent post TheAndyGrahamFanClub.

• @arnos_grove said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I usually avoid commenting on signings until I've seen them play for us which has served me well to some extent but I had totally forgotten about @Wwfc2015_ . His characteristic comments on Akinfenwe were perhaps less surprising than those of some of our normally far more restrained brethren.

He is still here, under a different moniker. Exactly the same deranged hate for most of the team / manager, but when he gets angry at being called out, he doesn’t claim to be living an executive lifestyle any more.

Ahhhh...

• edited August 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    In all fairness none of us knew Bayo back there beyond his pantomime performances against us. He rolled into town for Wimbledon with a big reputation and as been said before Murphy absolutely nullified him much to our joy.
    So the Bayo we saw then is the player a lot of teams have seen over the past 5 years, a guy who can't sprint the 100m in sub-10 seconds and who looks largely out of place in an athletic environment. And then he drags 3 defenders with him at a corner and our centre half nods in a late equaliser. And then and then and then and then......

So I forgive people for not wanting him 5 years ago. But if anyone still shares that opinion there is probably something wrong with their judgement.

In fairness, he'd had years knocking the goals in at Northampton and Gillingham before we nullified him a couple of times.

• I must say I remembered being far more outraged than I came across as in that thread.

My main argument was always that at that time we were crying out for some creativity in midfield and signing a big man up front to lump it up to was the last thing we needed.

As so often, I was completely wrong and Gaz knew what he was doing. Our best ever signing.

• It proves once again that although he might get it wrong occasionally, the manager’s judgment should be trusted.

• Very gracious Eric.

As I keep telling friends, it is rarely boring supporting Wycombe and the Bayo years have been some of the most entertaining for a whole host of reasons (not just Bayo related).

• @glasshalffull said:
    It proves once again that although he might get it wrong occasionally, the manager’s judgment should be trusted.

Good morning @glasshalffull, I hope you are recovering and feeling better.

• Thanks ValleyWanderer, yes feeling a bit better but it certainly knocks you for six and I’m just glad I’ve had my two jabs. Set my sights on Ipswich game for a return to Adams Park so hope it’s not ppd. I appreciate your message.

• edited August 2021

Judging by other fan forums the secret to our success is that though we completely fail to play any football, we are the only team who commit fouls, only team whose defenders climb all over forwards, only team to surround the referee, the only team referees actually listen to and act immediately upon our demands and if we do score goals, we then do everything we can to protect a lead. No-one wants to watch that.

• It's funny really, because I felt one of the things we lacked in The Championship was some of the things you've listed above Wendoverman. Certainly we weren't as savvy as others when it came to manipulating the officials.

• We looked like wide eyed school boys in the big city at times last season.

• @JohnBoy said:
    It's funny really, because I felt one of the things we lacked in The Championship was some of the things you've listed above Wendoverman. Certainly we weren't as savvy as others when it came to manipulating the officials.

I think for a time we were under the impression they would be much better than the ones in L1!

• What I am confused about with regard to Sunderland in particular is that they feel they are a far superior side (apart from the players in their team they hate) in every department and yet fear that if we score first it will be a terrible afternoon as we hang onto the lead...which surely any inferior non-footballing team facing a far superior team and finding itself one goal up would do?

• Some eye-watering stuff on that Sunderland board. Most deluded, entitled fans in the entire league?

• Sunderland look a weaker team than they were last season. Will be a hard game but we should not fear them at all!! COYB let’s bring back the 3 points.

• Sunderland look a weaker team than they were last season

No Scowen for one thing.

• edited August 2021

No matter what happens we can always look back in astounded amusement, and say "remember when we were Sunderland's cup final?"

• Fantastic that one of their fans said “7 minutes injury time last match says it all” and then one of their own points out they had the same in their last match ?

• Not sure what planet the club were on with all their pre-match attendance hyping.

• @therabbittest said:

Not sure what planet the club were on with all their pre-match attendance hyping.

Yes it was quite bizarre.
    As even if they'd overlooked the Oxford whopper (just under 7,000) the season after Leeds, I think it was 2019 where we had about 6,500.

So did they just massively miscount? Expect some huge surge last minute?
    Or ignore both ends of the scale of history since Leeds and think we were only battling some 4-5,000 crowd as the target?

• edited August 2021

@therabbittest said:

Not sure what planet the club were on with all their pre-match attendance hyping.

I am no business or numbers man but trying to build excitement?

thus

a)Encouraging more people to come
    b)encouraging them to get there early
    c)selling them stuff ?

All off the top of my head.

I think Christ! please come to the game on Saturday as it's all looking a bit empty would have been a disaster ! :smile:

• @Wendoverman said:

I am no business or numbers man but trying to build excitement?

thus

a)Encouraging more people to come
    b)encouraging them to get there early
    c)selling them stuff ?

All off the top of my head.

I think Christ! please come to the game on Saturday as it's all looking a bit empty would have been a disaster ! :smile:

That's a short term ploy though - the trouble with making stuff up is that no-one believes you next time.

• @Malone said:

@therabbittest said:

Yes it was quite bizarre.
    As even if they'd overlooked the Oxford whopper (just under 7,000) the season after Leeds, I think it was 2019 where we had about 6,500.

So did they just massively miscount? Expect some huge surge last minute?
    Or ignore both ends of the scale of history since Leeds and think we were only battling some 4-5,000 crowd as the target?

Still struggling to work out how Neil Peters went on Wycombe Sound and told them 1,000 to 1,200 Lincoln fans were coming. What evidence did he have of this and did the club plan catering and stewarding on this number?

I can’t see how this and the tweets about a rapidly selling out terrace would encourage loads more to come. I think it may well put a few off after the Leicester chaos.

• I think we are unique in that the location of the ground and subsequent parking / access issues will actually put people off coming if they think they’ll be a bumper crowd.

Better just to hype the new facilities and the team performances IMHO.

• To be honest I was very surprised by the low Lincoln turn out. 1,200 sounded about right to me.

• I also think we’ll see a higher proportion of the crowd in the terrace this year due to the new pricing structure, so prediction models based on previous seasons may give some misleading results.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I think we are unique in that the location of the ground and subsequent parking / access issues will actually put people off coming if they think they’ll be a bumper crowd.

Better just to hype the new facilities and the team performances IMHO.

I agree with this !

• Clearly none of us can read