Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I always assume when we've beaten a team and an opposition fan says "I wouldn't want to watch that every week" what he really means is "If we played Wycombe every week they'd always win so I wouldnt want to watch".

• @OX66 said:
    Wasn’t at the game so can only go by reports that we played well even though we are not at full strength. Read through the Lincoln forum 99% slagging wycombe off very much like poxford/Sunderland fans deluded.

Sunderland's forum already has a seething thread up about the "style" of play they expect from us next weekend!

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-wanderers.1558520/

• I say scowen is possibly the best midfielder in league1. The ground he covered yesterday was incredible, he's definitely quicker than before too.

• @WanderingDays said:

@OX66 said:
    Wasn’t at the game so can only go by reports that we played well even though we are not at full strength. Read through the Lincoln forum 99% slagging wycombe off very much like poxford/Sunderland fans deluded.

Sunderland's forum already has a seething thread up about the "style" of play they expect from us next weekend!

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe-wanderers.1558520/

Music to my ears

As the kids say, living in their heads rent-free

• Christ! They really don't like us do they!

• edited August 2021

What a bunch of absolute wankpuffins - who clearly know nothing about football.

• @Twizz said:
    I always assume when we've beaten a team and an opposition fan says "I wouldn't want to watch that every week" what he really means is "If we played Wycombe every week they'd always win so I wouldnt want to watch".

I normally read that as "we lost, if they played like that again they'd beat us again, they didn't let little Johnny do his kick ups, wah, wah, wah, where's mum, I've soiled myself...plus a five year olds level insult I've plucked off the internet"

Some of their fans were good enough to notice they were under par, under fit , not ready for the challenge and they'll have a difficult season having lost several of their best players from last year.

I have no doubt we would have changed our style again had we concerned and love the variety of play. On the Scowen theme I can see how he maybe may not have been a good fit if you are trying to Barcelona it around (overpass and piss money away) but Soonderland never took me as a team that had an issue with either playing direct or being overly physical.

Are they not back in the Premier League yet? How embarrassing.

• Personally I'm pleased Vokes was not good enough for Stoke and Scowen was not good enough for Sunderland, Bayo was a comedy signing and JJ was too old and slow for League Two.

• I think we are playing the best football since Mr. Ainsworth became manager so I don't understand what everyone is banging on about.

For a club like Sunderland to be in Div. 1 with their resources is shameful.

They would benefit from taking a look at us and see what they can copy.

They might learn something.

If we're so dreadful, it poses the question why they wanted to recruit Gareth.

Turning them down is just one example of Mr. Ainsworth's intelligence.

Saint Martin spurned other clubs to stay at the mighty, mighty Chairboys and he, of course, was a Sunderland boyhood fan.

• An away win against the Mackems would be a highly delightful early highpoint to be sure.

• I've never wanted to make a team's fan base cry more

• I just went to the wanderer's videos and (being an ifollow subscriber) thought I would watch the extended highlights, only to discover the entire match was available to watch, which I did. Although the commentary provided was the Lincoln one, that was an unexpected surprise. Anyone else see that? Is this a one-off IT glitch or is it something that is going to be available more often going forward?

• edited August 2021

@Thicketblue said:
    I just went to the wanderer's videos and (being an ifollow subscriber) thought I would watch the extended highlights, only to discover the entire match was available to watch, which I did. Although the commentary provided was the Lincoln one, that was an unexpected surprise. Anyone else see that? Is this a one-off IT glitch or is it something that is going to be available more often going forward?

They've been available for at least the last couple of seasons - I used to watch them back for analysis - and you can probably change the commentary like you can on a live iFollow stream?

• I've a feeling it's selective @Thicketblue, a box somewhere say's Home/Away.

• @Thicketblue said:
    I just went to the wanderer's videos and (being an ifollow subscriber) thought I would watch the extended highlights, only to discover the entire match was available to watch, which I did. Although the commentary provided was the Lincoln one, that was an unexpected surprise. Anyone else see that? Is this a one-off IT glitch or is it something that is going to be available more often going forward?

I can watch it too, think that’s the same on every game after the event if you are signed up.

• Yeah, click on the cog and change to home commentary.

• Just take a moment to reflect on this... This guy used to watch his team play in the Premier League against the very best teams and players in the country. Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park etc etc. They've won the first division and the FA Cup and boast one of the biggest fan bases in the country.

4 years on from being relegated from the Premier League his team are so hopeless that all he has left is to take digs at "little" Wycombe Wanderers in a national football magazine. Poor lad needs to have a word with himself.

• Just watched the first 15 minutes of the game I cannot fathom how Lincoln fans could say we play crap football. Over running them in midfield, good to see.

• edited August 2021

@Last_Quarter said:

Just take a moment to reflect on this... This guy used to watch his team play in the Premier League against the very best teams and players in the country. Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park etc etc. They've won the first division and the FA Cup and boast one of the biggest fan bases in the country.

4 years on from being relegated from the Premier League his team are so hopeless that all he has left is to take digs at "little" Wycombe Wanderers in a national football magazine. Poor lad needs to have a word with himself.

It's Roker Report who did it, and they give off the same arrogant, entitled vibe in general. But they've written some borderline - if, I think, satirical - stuff about Wycombe before. I believe they also got completely rattled by an oilysailor tweet once and 'announced' they were unfollowing him ? Absolute children.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Yesterday was a tactical masterclass from Gaz. @ReturnToSenda will doubtless illustrate this with all sorts of interesting stats, but we played the highest of high presses specifically to counter Appleton's patient passing game and cut off the supply of passes from Bridcutt.

I have a theory about "wouldn't want to watch that every week", which is that it's not actually based on how we play but on the extent to which we stop the other team from playing. Fans who expect to see their team playing attractive passing football don't see the game working out like that. They're not actually able to see past that to the quality of football being played by the opposition.

That's exactly what it is.

• Already can't wait for next Sat (even though we've got a game in the week).

Really hope a lot of chairboys and girls will sacrifice part of their bank holiday to travel up to Wearside.

• The first 10 minutes yesterday was an absolutely fantastic high press and performance with the ball too. Scowen seems to set the tone and was quality. We smothered them and should have been 2 up really. Once Thompson gets up to speed and to his best (we know from experience it takes him a little while but always worth the wait), they are going to be a formidable pairing, fitness allowing.

After that opening period, I thought the referee spoiled the game to be honest. Both teams did their best to produce an entertaining match but were held back by a referee that wanted to stop the match at every opportunity and made some very odd decisions. A really poor performance.

This next point is not being negative, in fact I think it’s a huge positive from my perspective. Apart from the first 50-60 minutes against Accrington, and the first 15 minutes yesterday, I really don’t think we’ve clicked yet this season (when, for example, compared to the last 10 games last season). We’ve played some fantastic stuff in little spells, but not consistently. This is absolutely no surprise as it takes a month or so to get fitness and match sharpness to a good level at the start of a season. Yet we have 10 points out of 12, scored 7 goals, and look like we have had the potential to score lots more. All without Tafazolli, Thompson only just returning, and now McCarthy missing. Let alone no Gape, Wheeler, Kashket.

If we can get the squad fit I think this could be an amazing season. I’ve said it before but I really think Tafazolli has the capacity to be huge, not just for his defensive ability but his goal threat in the air on set pieces. Cokes looks sharper each game and looks everything we need in a number 9, and between Horgan, McCleary and Mehmeti we have some high class creative options behind Vokes. And we also have Kaikai and Wheeler too.

Stockdale playing the way he is I wouldn’t swap him with any goalkeeper in League 1, even most in the Championship.

The ‘worry’ is the wing back positions. How long is McCarthy going to be out for? Freeman looks set to be out for a bit now, and Kaikai is not a right wing back. Good sides will punish us if he plays there as he is an attacking player, and doesn’t have the fensive instincts. I guess next week i could see Grimmer at right back and bringing Tafazolli into centre back. But the area (and left wing back cover if Horgan is not deemed an option), really needs to be the priority. I’d look to try and get a pacey young full back from a PL club on loan.

But, let’s be honest, I think now we all trust GA and Dobbo with recruitment. He knows more about the right players to being in than us all combined.

Come on Wycombe next week, let’s shut those Sunderland fans up!

• I think LWB cover is more of a concern than RWB, where we also have Wheeler, who I'm pretty confident would do a better job there than Freeman - not that Freeman played badly there at all yesterday (quite the opposite, in fact).

I think Horgan would be more than fine in either wing-back position, but we hardly want to take him out of his current role. 'True' wing-backs are something of a rarity - we're blessed to have one in Obita - but a pacey wide player with good defensive instincts should do us.

Still slightly concerned about how we'll cope if Vokes ever ends up out for a prolonged spell, but it may be a case of adapting stylistically rather than bringing another number 9 in - as I agree with others that it'll be hard to sign someone, even on loan, to effectively be purely back-up unless the main man gets injured.

• @ReturnToSenda it wasn't that long ago you wrote an article about how Bayo could be key for us this season...

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Already can't wait for next Sat (even though we've got a game in the week).

Really hope a lot of chairboys and girls will sacrifice part of their bank holiday to travel up to Wearside.

If anyone is thinking of driving, you can book a space in the nearby Tesco using Your Parking Space for £1.50.

• @aloysius said:
    @ReturnToSenda it wasn't that long ago you wrote an article about how Bayo could be key for us this season...

I thought you'd be happy, bearing in mind we took your advice to pay 1m for a striker and give them 10k a week.

• edited August 2021

@Malone said:

@aloysius said:
    @ReturnToSenda it wasn't that long ago you wrote an article about how Bayo could be key for us this season...

I thought you'd be happy, bearing in mind we took your advice to pay 1m for a striker and give them 10k a week.

I hope you will have noticed that I've withheld from any suggestion of 'I-told-you-so' posting at those who said a) 30-goal strikers weren't available b) Wycombe should not spend money on one c) bringing in someone on a high salary would disrupt the squad unity. Nor have I reiterated my point that if Gareth had been able to bring in someone like Vokes in January, he'd probably be playing Championship football still. With us.

• @aloysius said:

@Malone said:

@aloysius said:

I hope you will have noticed that I've withheld from any suggestion of 'I-told-you-so' posting at those who said a) 30-goal strikers weren't available b) Wycombe should not spend money on one c) bringing in someone on a high salary would disrupt the squad unity. Nor have I reiterated my point that if Gareth had been able to bring in someone like Vokes in January, he'd probably be playing Championship football still. With us.

Until now.