Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

15678911»

Comments

• I think everyone assumed that "home" meant "at Adam's Park", which was an obvious assumption I would have thought. Apparently not...

• edited August 2021

We'd already watered down the attendance from all season to August, and since 2009.

Now it's been watered down to "just Wycombe fans" since 2009 :D (which we didn't hit anyway).

Reminds me of the riddle, "If there are 3 apples and you take 2, how many apples are there?"

The home = Adams Park answer would have been 1, but the Matt C answer would be 2!

• Sounds like any of the last 1,000 Government u turns.

• @malone surely the answer is 3?

• I don't doubt that was what Matt Cecil meant, though the more usual reading of "home attendance" is the whole gate including away fans. If the club try pump priming tweets again, hopefully it'll be less ambiguous!

• When the Premier League came about, all records were expunged, never to be acknowledged again. Perhaps the same has happened to Wycombe records pre-Couhig?

• @Chris said:
    @malone surely the answer is 3?

I lolled.

Clearly i'd not worded it totally correctly. I think it should have been how many apples are left...

• But you could be taking two apples to add to the three already there so the answer is five.

• @Vital said:

That's a short term ploy though - the trouble with making stuff up is that no-one believes you next time.

It's worked out OK for Boris Johnson.

• On a tangent, here in America they always over-qualify sporting facts to make them sound amazing and historical.

"Jim Player just became the first quarterback to throw two touchdowns in the second quarter of a Thursday game in the Eastern Time Zone on his birthday. Wearing red. And contact lenses."

I think it would be fun for us to do that on social media after each game.

"Sam Vokes just became the first Wycombe player in history to score a headed goal in front of away fans after a cross from a former Reading player and a feint by another former Reading player to make space for the cross. In August. Facing a 6 foot 7 teenage keeper."

• edited August 2021

Oh god, they do that on MOTD. Like, who gives a toss that Raphinha is the second (not even the first, which would only have been slightly less irrelevant) Leeds player to score in three consecutive games against Everton?

• Short term ploy it may be @Vital but I suspect any 'damage' in confidence will be minimal. If I've learned anything over the last five or six years it is that there are a large number of people who will believe whatever you tell them and then will have completely forgotten the lies you told them by the time you are contradicting them and telling some more. :smile:

• Did anyone think that we won the Lincoln match in spite of the referee? My feelings at the game were that he was not as good as poo & could have been wearing a lincoln shirt under his kit.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Short term ploy it may be @Vital but I suspect any 'damage' in confidence will be minimal. If I've learned anything over the last five or six years it is that there are a large number of people who will believe whatever you tell them and then will have completely forgotten the lies you told them by the time you are contradicting them and telling some more. :smile:

Can't imagine too many people are queuing up for refunds having been duped into going on Saturday on false pretences.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Short term ploy it may be @Vital but I suspect any 'damage' in confidence will be minimal. If I've learned anything over the last five or six years it is that there are a large number of people who will believe whatever you tell them and then will have completely forgotten the lies you told them by the time you are contradicting them and telling some more. :smile:

Can't imagine too many people are queuing up for refunds having been duped into going on Saturday on false pretences.

Dangerous precedent tbh, can you imagine if we held them to account every time they suggested a game would be a cracker?

• I read recently that Lincoln have sold 6800 season tickets... I'd of thought they would be taking at least 1000 every away game. Pretty poor turn out by them.

• all those people who “wouldn’t like to watch us every week” are obviously choosing to not watch us at all…

• Not sure why people expected so many from Lincoln, I believe that they have only once exceeded 1k fans at AP, and that was their first game back in the league

• I must admit being a season ticket holder I will turn up whether we are selling out fast or not while hoping for an increase in attendance it does not weigh on my mind...in the same way the stats about possession and what have you mean nowt to me (lovingly compiled as they may be). Did we win? Did we not? That's my limit.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I must admit being a season ticket holder I will turn up whether we are selling out fast or not while hoping for an increase in attendance it does not weigh on my mind...in the same way the stats about possession and what have you mean nowt to me (lovingly compiled as they may be). Did we win? Did we not? That's my limit.

I am the opposite, takes all sorts.

• I do love a statistic.

• @Chris said:
    @malone surely the answer is 3?

I thought the same.

• @Vincey said:
    Not sure why people expected so many from Lincoln, I believe that they have only once exceeded 1k fans at AP, and that was their first game back in the league

That being the only game I've seen them play at our place, that's why I thought they might bring a similar number this time one league up.