Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• For the millions of us young and old that enjoyed the match it's horrid that the scum bags are stealing the headlines.

• Swings and roundabouts though maybe - it did feel stupidly late and gave the usual morons an excuse to drink themselves stupid before it was anywhere near kick-off, but if the game had kicked off early and been finished by 6 or7, or earlier, those same morons would have had more time post-match to cause trouble and what we saw after the game could have been even worse.

Either way, yet again many of us find ourselves in the situation where we have to explain that most football fans aren't pissed-up twats, and in fact we hate those people far more than the non-footie following general public ever could.

• Quite often European countries have later evening matches than here in the UK, and it suits them

Throw in TV schedules and other events on the day then there might have been many reasons why the time was chosen. Adjusting it to avoid drunken Englishness is wrong.

As mentioned earlier the chances of further competitions in England or the UK as a whole are diminished by the few.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Shev said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    For clarity - you could have easily made you point of “well of course, missing the first one puts pressure on the others”.

But no, you had to name him and make a comment about his run up like that has anything to do with it.

You have the same issue with Jorginhos?

These players are not anonymous - they just missed penalties in front of millions. Naming him just clarified which penalty I felt was the most damaging (and still do). Calling it 'Penalty number 3' to avoid using his name would be bizarre! I feel like it was a case of dominoes. I have seen Rashford take so much better, more deliberate penalties that it all felt very strange.

Yes, I do not like how Jorginho takes them - and he missed too! If Italy lost I am sure not many would be pleased from their side. I don't like that runup from anyone!

The point is everyone would have known what you’re talking about without needing to name the first person that did miss.

About 30 million people would have known.

But saying there name and saying they were primarily at fault is about as a night and day bus throwing incident as you can get.

At this stage, I’m fairly sure you don’t even know what “I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus” means.

So you will drop your strange aggressive behaviour if I change my opinion to 'Penalty Number

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@our_frank said:
    "under performance"? Strewth.

Last night I think some individuals under performed. For sure. You may disagree and I won't be make snide remarks if you want to.

We were playing one of the best (if not the best) teams in the world. In my opinion, apart from our Captain, everyone performed to a very high standard particularly Sterling and Walker.

• Anyone else surprised Donnarumma got player of the tournament? Would have gone for Chiesa or maybe Chiellini out of the Italians personally. Although I thought there was a very strong case for Walker getting it (not that a player from a team other than the winners often, if ever, wins it).

• I think the Wimbledon Final was an influence on the timing of the final but no reason why it couldn't have been 5 or 6 KO. 8pm UK was too late.

• I'm not saying I agree with it, but don't all finals kick off at 8pm our time?

• The 1966 final kicked off at 3pm Saturday afternoon (damn I mentioned it again)

• The only bit of good news is the rumour that Farage got bombarded by bottles of piss by fans when he turned up.

• edited July 2021

@ReturnToSenda France v Croatia was not an 8pm kick off, our time. But then, I guess it wasn’t recognised by you as an official tournament, was it?

• @TwinBrother said:
    The only bit of good news is the rumour that Farage got bombarded by bottles of piss by fans when he turned up.

I don’t like what Farage stands for. Based on his public statements I doubt I’d like him as a person should I ever meet him.

But to say that physical abuse, in whatever form, is acceptable/good news ……

Don’t know if you meant this as irony but it doesn’t come across that way to me

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I think the Wimbledon Final was an influence on the timing of the final but no reason why it couldn't have been 5 or 6 KO. 8pm UK was too late.

https://theathletic.com/news/italy-england-kickoff-time-euro-2020-final-today/AKx9tGqry7YW

• @ReturnToSenda Your post of 11.48AM... A light-hearted riposte.

On a more serious note, I might have gone for Chiesa too, but he didn’t start he tournament, even though he fought his way into it.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @ReturnToSenda Your post of 11.48AM... A light-hearted riposte.

On a more serious note, I might have gone for Chiesa too, but he didn’t start he tournament, even though he fought his way into it.

Oh. I mean, I was kind of making the point that everything about the Qatar World Cup just stinks and I would quite like us to pull out, but ok.

• Ah, Qatar, not FIFA. Gotcha.

• If I boycotted FIFA I don't think I could strictly watch any football!

• Couple of things. I (personally) thought that Mount had a very quiet game and Henderson struggled to make the same impact that Rice was having. And the stat that Kane did not have a single touch in the Italy box is pretty amazing. But there are 2 sides to every story and underperforming and not being able to perform are 2 different things. It was maybe a mix of both.

As for the treatment of Farage I can't stand the man. He stands for pretty much everything I am not. However if we are to celebrate the bottling of someone that has differing views to ourselves we are in a pretty poor state. Be better than that.

• edited July 2021

The thought of a proud publicity seeking patriot turning up at an anti-European, knee booing, foreigner hating event he believes will welcome him with open arms being doused with urine (however proudly English the said excrement may have been) sickens me. I saw people throw bottles of piss at the musical stylings of Therapy? at The Monsters of Rock once...but typically it was never reported in the mainstream media.
    (To be fair I think the piss throwing there is quite common though...)

• I was hit by a bag of piss at Lincoln City in that game where they got promoted back to the FL. It ruined my white C&A Man from Avanti jacket too. No crowd funder for me ?

• We are in a pretty poor state, sadly, but thank goodness the majority of people (or is it just a significant silent minority?) are still public spirited, kind and decent.

• @micra said:
    We are in a pretty poor state, sadly, but thank goodness the majority of people (or is it just a significant silent minority?) are still public spirited, kind and decent.

It's the same anywhere. FB site, gasroom, England games etc.
    The loudest ugliest behaviour will always stand out, and give the false impression that it's the same view for all, when in truth it's anything but.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The thought of a proud publicity seeking patriot turning up at an anti-European, knee booing, foreigner hating event he believes will welcome him with open arms being doused with urine (however proudly English the said excrement may have been) sickens me. I saw people throw bottles of piss at the musical stylings of Therapy? at The Monsters of Rock once...but typically it was never reported in the mainstream media.
    (To be fair I think the piss throwing there is quite common though...)

I was at that gig too. My mate had a direct hit on him. He thought it was someone’s beer.

It wasn’t.

• Nickelback once had rocks chucked at them on stage

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Nickelback once had rocks chucked at them on stage

Read somewhere that Morrissey cancelled a gig on his Meat is murder tour after he was smacked in the face with a sausage thrown from the crowd shortly after taking to the stage

• @arnos_grove said:
    I was hit by a bag of piss at Lincoln City in that game where they got promoted back to the FL. It ruined my white C&A Man from Avanti jacket too. No crowd funder for me ?

The crisp packets full of piss were coming over quite frequently in that side terrace that day. It may have been an act of revenge, for when the Imps van crew had there mini bus set alight at Loakes Park, whilst the game was going on.

• To look at the future optimistically for England, the talent is just going to keep coming and improving. Fingers crossed Eze comes back as strong as ever from his injury and breaks into the squad. Saka is going to keep developing. Sancho is going to keep developing. Foden is going to keep developing. Rashford seems like a veteran but is incredibly still only 23, and can still develop. There is already really strong competition for almost every place. Not only that, but the senior players seem to have an "arm round the shoulder" attitude towards their younger compatriots which comes from Southgate (whose development of the team culture is his greatest achievement, to my mind).

With Qatar just a year away, we are going to have an embarrassment of attacking riches, especially with the younger players having another season and a half of development as per above. As Kane, Sterling and co. age, the new generation is already there for the baton to be passed to. We may be debating which of Eze, Saka, Rashford, Sancho, Foden, Mount and Grealish to squeeze into the few starting places for years to come, let alone other players yet to emerge!

• @Shev said:
    To look at the future optimistically for England, the talent is just going to keep coming and improving. Fingers crossed Eze comes back as strong as ever from his injury and breaks into the squad. Saka is going to keep developing. Sancho is going to keep developing. Foden is going to keep developing. Rashford seems like a veteran but is incredibly still only 23, and can still develop.

And dont forget, there is also Nick Freeman in the wings!

• @mooneyman said:

@Shev said:
    To look at the future optimistically for England, the talent is just going to keep coming and improving. Fingers crossed Eze comes back as strong as ever from his injury and breaks into the squad. Saka is going to keep developing. Sancho is going to keep developing. Foden is going to keep developing. Rashford seems like a veteran but is incredibly still only 23, and can still develop.

And dont forget, there is also Nick Freeman in the wings!

Of course. That's a given! I just did not want to overshadow the other talent by comparison.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Nickelback once had rocks chucked at them on stage

Read somewhere that Morrissey cancelled a gig on his Meat is murder tour after he was smacked in the face with a sausage thrown from the crowd shortly after taking to the stage

That’s the wurst thing I’ve ever heard