Skip to content

Euros General Thread

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Sorry but Come on Eileen, for me, is the worst song ever written or recorded and I will leave any room it's played in. In fact we told the DJ at our wedding he wouldn't get paid if he played it.

I used to know someone whose wedding DJ played this as the first song, not realising that the groom had left his wife Eileen for the new bride. It didn't go down well.

Side note: Kevin Rowland once made a brilliant but also bonkers album of cover versions called My Beauty, including this majestic version of The Greatest Love of All.

• Anything grime is worst ever ( yes I know I'm showing my age)

How anyone can be remotely offended by Sweet Caroline or come on Eileen is a mystery to me

• To help solve the mystery @HolmerBlue, it isn’t so much the songs themselves that I don’t like, more the sinking feeling of enforced jollity that everyone likes to insist on spreading as soon as they play.

I assume it is a given that I am a miserable old git so this isn’t exactly my idea of fun.

I was also a miserable young git back in the day. I am the twat that would put the 6 minute+ B sides ‘Voices’ (Siouxsie and the Banshees) and ‘Godspeed’ (Patti Smith) on the jukebox in the pub near closing time…

(And I’m as surprised as everyone I’ve managed to survive this long)

• __> @HolmerBlue said:

Anything grime is worst ever ( yes I know I'm showing my age)

How anyone can be remotely offended by Sweet Caroline or come on Eileen is a mystery to me

Quite. There's some bafflingly terrible songs these days.
    Google "aitch" for a style of music that can only be described as an obnoxious chav chatting over a beat with a horrible Leeds twang

• Music's a funny thing really, Sweet Caroline is virtually guaranteed to get me singing, waving and clapping whereas Come on Eileen I don't enjoy and leaves me cold. On the subject of music; why on earth are we be subjected to some sort of backing track playing during the latest Bayo interview? Might be in others too but I hate it so much I won't listen to them. They do the same in radio traffic reports for some obscure reason. Won't be long before we have to put up with it during the news being read as well I guess! Time to form a grumpy old git club?

• That's less a grumpy old git problem @ValleyWanderer than a very real, discriminatory, accessibility problem. Many people struggle to pick out speech when there is music playing, almost everyone does as they get older. I'm not too bothered by it in the Bayo interview, it's relatively well backgrounded (though could do with a little sidechaining), but it will be enough to make it harder to hear for a lot of people.

• @bookertease said:
    To help solve the mystery @HolmerBlue, it isn’t so much the songs themselves that I don’t like, more the sinking feeling of enforced jollity that everyone likes to insist on spreading as soon as they play.

I assume it is a given that I am a miserable old git so this isn’t exactly my idea of fun.

I was also a miserable young git back in the day. I am the twat that would put the 6 minute+ B sides ‘Voices’ (Siouxsie and the Banshees) and ‘Godspeed’ (Patti Smith) on the jukebox in the pub near closing time…

(And I’m as surprised as everyone I’ve managed to survive this long)

Haha... that's a great explanation, thankyou

• Just getting back to the football for a moment.

Had a little insight into how this has been achieved. Arsenal U18 team came down to my part of the world and played a friendly against my local (holmer green level) side.

17 players I believe but two luxury vehicle coaches and around ten human coaches and a camera set up to video analyse

Players were technically gifted and represented the club very well. Did seem that the fun and humanity had been coached out of them a little though.

Interesting insight into a different world.

• As one of those senior types with a hearing issue I am completely in agreement with the above posts. I also find it irritating and unnecessary to have background music to an interview. Why? What exactly does it add?

• +1 for the removal of muzak during interviews etc.

I have pretty severe tinnitus from a youth spent in clubs and gigs, so radio stations like FiveLive are virtually unlistenable for me now as I can’t pick out the vocals in the audio mess that they broadcast. The trails are the worst with a different vocal filter applied for each word!

• The trails are the worst with a different vocal filter applied for each word!

This is the most grating thing I have ever heard in my life bar none. Worse than fingernails on a blackboard, a knife scraped across a plate, or even Martin Keown. I stopped listening to Five Live completely within about a week of them starting that.

• Kraftwerk used to carry a pair of pliers around with them so they could snip the wires of any speakers playing intrusive ambient music.

• I’m finding the playing of Seven Nation Army after scoring rather irritating. It makes every celebration of a goal sound the same with its monotonous drone. And now my moaning about it every time it’s played is becoming a monotonous drone to my wife.

Let the crowd decide what they want to sing/chant I say, they don’t need orchestrating.
    Moan over.

• Music after goals is always bizarre.
    It's the one guaranteed time even the most library style ground will be noisy!

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Music's a funny thing really, Sweet Caroline is virtually guaranteed to get me singing, waving and clapping whereas Come on Eileen I don't enjoy and leaves me cold. On the subject of music; why on earth are we be subjected to some sort of backing track playing during the latest Bayo interview? Might be in others too but I hate it so much I won't listen to them. They do the same in radio traffic reports for some obscure reason. Won't be long before we have to put up with it during the news being read as well I guess! Time to form a grumpy old git club?

It’ll come as no surprise to you or anyone else @ValleyWanderer that I am in full agreement! In fact, I’d like to apply to be a founder member of the grumpy old git club.
    We already have pulsating ‘musical’ accompaniment to the news headlines of course but, as with the majority of programmes nowadays, we record the news bulletins to enable fast forwarding.

To return to the central topic, I am watching a fascinating Sky Documentaries film about Terry Venables’ career, ‘A Man Can Dream’. Best part of two hours but worth watching. Don’t you get some shocks when you see some of the famous faces from what to this Oldie doesn’t seem too distant a past! And what an omnishambles preparation for our most recent journey to the semis - a mere 25 years ago (but I’d only just retired!)

• Just like to mention that a kindly neighbour told me the other day that I was the last person in the world she would describe as a grumpy old git! Meant a lot.

• Yes @micra, "grumpy" is definitely not deserved in that phrase ;)

• I am an old git though. I was one of Terry Wogan’s. Not sure that was the right description, looking at the capital letters - not even sure if ‘capital’ is the right word for first letters. Must be due for my sleep but lawn needs mowing first.

• @Malone said:
    Music after goals is always bizarre.
    It's the one guaranteed time even the most library style ground will be noisy!

Honestly, if there was a song called 'Let's All Celebrate Because Our Team Just Scored', football clubs everywhere would play it unironically after each goal.

• I sense a money making idea.

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Isn't You'll Never Walk Alone 'stolen'?

Yep. From Celtic wasn't it?

Every football song is stolen, hence every team being the greatest team the world has ever seen etc.

Watford stole Z cars from Everton.

If John Barnes owned x Jaguars and Neville Southall y minis, what is the value of 'z'?

• @Kim_il_Swan said

When you've heard Forest fans sing Mull of Kintyre but change the lyrics to "Oh mist rolling in from the Trent..." then you've heard the worst song ever. A song so bad it makes their neighbours "I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off" sound like a work of genius.

‘Worst song ever’ that was everywhere in 1977/78, sold 2 million copies and was such an earworm. We’ve been singing it at the City Ground since 1978 and it brings a mist to my eye and a strong sense of pride and togetherness when I hear the fans sing it.

Maybe Wycombe could find a club song we could all sing before kick off?

• Does anyone play Mr Brightside prior to kickoff. If you want a group of half cut youths to do a bit of communal singing then that usually does the trick

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    Does anyone play Mr Brightside prior to kickoff. If you want a group of half cut youths to do a bit of communal singing then that usually does the trick

Please no!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Forest_Blue - The Wanderer?

A no from me... don't know why but that one makes me cringe

• It is a bit odd having a song about a philanderer as a club anthem.

• To find a song that satisfies every taste, has no modern day obsession with finding issues with PC language, and gets the players going must be impossible.

• What's the most motivational song with no lyrics?

• I've realised I know absolutely nothing about football... I had zero confidence in Southgate....