Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• He wasn't good yesterday. Very lucky not to give a pen away at 3-0 down too.

Funny how we see things very differently in football!

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Madness. He’s been superb as a right-sided centre back. The system really suits him.

Amen.

• @Malone said:
    He wasn't good yesterday. Very lucky not to give a pen away at 3-0 down too.

I'm with @Malone on this one. I love Grimmer but he hasn't looked at home at RCB since McCarthy's injury, perhaps with one of his worst games in a Wycombe shirt yesterday. The system suits him, but with a fully fit defence I'd be going McCarthy/Grimmer, Stewart, Taff, JJ, Obita.

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:

I'm with @Malone on this one. I love Grimmer but he hasn't looked at home at RCB since McCarthy's injury, perhaps with one of his worst games in a Wycombe shirt yesterday. The system suits him, but with a fully fit defence I'd be going McCarthy/Grimmer, Stewart, Taff, JJ, Obita.

I should add that if it was a back 4, then Grimmer gets in above McCarthy for me.
    But in this system, without McCarthy out there, he's not looked that comfortable.

I'm always a bit nervous about the balls into the box when we have JJ and Grimmer in there. Tafa goes a huge way to sorting that, but I'd prefer him and Stewart in there more weeks than not.

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:

@Malone said:

I should add that if it was a back 4, then Grimmer gets in above McCarthy for me.
    But in this system, without McCarthy out there, he's not looked that comfortable.

I'm always a bit nervous about the balls into the box when we have JJ and Grimmer in there. Tafa goes a huge way to sorting that, but I'd prefer him and Stewart in there more weeks than not.

I agree with you on all of your points and opinions wholeheartedly

• If we are serious about getting back into the Championship we must keep Stewart and add another quality centre back.

• I don’t think anyone doubts that we are serious about our intentions.

• Grimmer had an awful game on Saturday. He managed to find a Sunderland shirt with virtually every pass.
    I was in the Sunderland members bar after the game, and some of their supporters made enquiries as to whether he normally plays as he seemed so poor.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Madness. He’s been superb as a right-sided centre back. The system really suits him.

Dropping him for Tafazolli is madness. He can’t even get himself fit.

I don’t disagree. But if there are times when we might need a bit more height in our back three and taff in the middle with Stewart one side of him with grimmer or JJ on the other.

JJ then gets the nod for me because of his dead ball ability.

• JJ is also a hugely underrated 1v1 defender

• Grimmer probably needs a rest for his own sake. Their third goal was a mess and he hasn't been great last few. That said if we do persist with a three I'd consider Burley and then probably have Grimmer at RWB.
    I'd love to be proved wrong but Grimmer RCB and KaiKai RWB at best needs a lot of work.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    JJ is also a hugely underrated 1v1 defender

So true, I have been hugely impressed by how JJ has adapted to an unfamiliar position. He isn’t the tallest yet he doesn’t lose many heading duels, he wins so many tackles and his use of the ball/set pieces are outstanding. A class act all round.

• Mr. GHF,

How are you feeling?

• A lot better thanks.

• Glad to hear it, take it easy.

• one day left of the window , do you think we will see any incoming/outgoings?

• @Wanderers82 said:
    one day left of the window , do you think we will see any incoming/outgoings?

Yes

• Well I do hope so.

• edited August 2021

@Wanderers82 said:
    one day left of the window , do you think we will see any incoming/outgoings?

Can imagine either Kashket or Samuel going out on loan, and maybe a young PL loanee ourselves for cover in defence, but I don’t think we’ll see any permanent activity.

Lavelle is probably a real non-mover now, the way Morecambe have started he may not see Wycombe as being the huge upgrade it may have been at the beginning of the season, so can see him seeing out the final year at Morecambe and then moving on without a fee and therefore commanding higher wages.

• I very much agree with whoever suggested that the strategy of signing players on loan may have been ditched or at least diluted. It surely makes more business sense and makes for greater continuity on the pitch to identify, recruit and develop young, talented players who are not going to return to their parent club at the end of the season or leave us frustratedly speculating throughout June and July every year whether or not they will return to us in August.

No doubt the recently appointed recruitment analyst has been working busily behind the scenes in just this area; indeed, recent signings may have been at least partially the result of his/her input. You’d like to think so.

• We're the only club in League One not to make a loan signing this window. Everyone apart from Bolton and Rotherham has made at least two. Sheffield Wednesday have made six!

• Six lone players sounds a bit desperate. They must have also signed quite a few new permanent players as well. Incredible number of incomings and outgoings there.

• Ipswich have just made signing number 17 of the summer ?

• Wow that is a massive change in one window.

• What do you call a group of confused strangers wandering around in a field?

The Ipswich first team.

• There's a guy called Ben Mayhew who does these 'squad churns'. The updated ones should be interesting to look at - feels like our highest player turnover for a good few years? I make it 11 in and 11 out (nine permanently).

• Just looked at that link ‘squad churns’, there is an amazing amount of information. That guy must be pretty fanatical as it is so in-depth.