Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Have we already been relegated to League 2 @aloysius!

• @mooneyman said:
    Have we already been relegated to League 2 @aloysius!

Whoops!

• edited July 2021

Clubs of our standing don't get proven goalscorers, so you have to make your own.

Admittedly I thought Humphrys might have been realistic, but I think I slightly underestimated the level he was operating at. As for Pigott, Wyke etc, they were the stuff of fantasy.

• Kyle Hudlin is still available :smile:

• edited July 2021

I'm not expecting it to be anyone particularly well known. Uche felt like a bit of a wildcard and I'd expect the same again. I'd love Hudlin, but if there's any substance to the Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday rumours then we can pretty much forget it.

• I'm not sure we've done well getting players out of non league in recent years, they tend to get released having not done much and go back to scoring regularly in non league. Southwell, Styche, couple of others I can't quite remember.
    Maybe similarly our best area is players at Champ / Prem youth levels not getting game time for whatever reason.

• Some people start every season underwhelmed by players, recruitment and management. I'm confident that even if we started with the players we have now (without The Player who will win promotion for us) we have enough to challenge in L1.

• Also our lateness in the market isn't just us being 2nd, 3rd choice etc but clubs need there squad players for pre season they're often playing several games in a week and doing the kind of tactical training that there isn't time for in season. A few days before whenever you have to submit your squad lists and potentially be left with people on the payroll who you can't use would get very interesting for Gaz and Dobbo no doubt

• @mooneyman said:
    Have we already been relegated to League 2 @aloysius!

We will be if Rob C does not open his chequebook and buy The Player! Or at least start composing another letter to the fans to embarrass the management into winning games immediately.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I'm not sure we've done well getting players out of non league in recent years, they tend to get released having not done much and go back to scoring regularly in non league. Southwell, Styche, couple of others I can't quite remember.
    Maybe similarly our best area is players at Champ / Prem youth levels not getting game time for whatever reason.

I still think the answer might be a front two of Wheeler and Kashket (or indeed Wheeler and Kaikai) - maybe Gareth will use the Leicester match to give Wheeler another go at target man...

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I'm not sure we've done well getting players out of non league in recent years, they tend to get released having not done much and go back to scoring regularly in non league. Southwell, Styche, couple of others I can't quite remember.

Sure there’s been a few misses but somehow we managed to pluck Anis Mehmeti out of the conference, what an unbelievable find that was.

• From the Essex Senior League, four levels below the Conference!

• If we're talking National League I think the two I'd have my eye on would be Kabby Tshimanga (Boreham Wood) and Alex Reid (Stockport).

Tshimanga (24 this week) is probably the more exciting prospect of the two, having scored over 80 goals in the last four seasons at National League South & National League level, but I suspect he plays more like a Kashket than an Uche. Allegedly some interest from Bolton.

Alex Reid (26 in September) is supposedly strong, tall and mobile, and scored 21 goals in all competitions last season - although he's just signed a new two year contract at Stockport.

• I can’t wait for when we finally sign a new Target Man, excited to see who we get.

• Kabby Tshimanga is a very good shout. Spent 10 years at MK Dons and still lives in Milton Keynes. Signed a two-year contract with Boreham Wood in July 2019, which by my maths makes him a free agent...

• @DPR38 said:
    I can’t wait for when we finally sign a new Target Man, excited to see who we get.

probably a lad from the u23 Leicester or Soton on Loan and if does well will end up at Peterborough or Luton

• I think we buy one and get another forward on loan. We have to be able to receive compensation for development, so we need to own the main 9 outright, I feel.

• edited July 2021

Not convinced we need to sign two strikers if we can get enough out of the main guy. I think Kashket will have a very strong season and the wide forwards / AMs will chip in with a fair few - especially if we revert to 4-3-3. I think we're still one light in midfield - and have been for the last few seasons.

• @Wanderers82 said:

@DPR38 said:
    I can’t wait for when we finally sign a new Target Man, excited to see who we get.

probably a lad from the u23 Leicester or Soton on Loan and if does well will end up at Peterborough or Luton

Does u23 football produce target men? My feeling is they like false 9s, free roles and roaming attackers. A Duncan Ferguson would be coached until he dropped deep and could take a pass from the ‘keeper.

• edited July 2021

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Wanderers82 said:

@DPR38 said:

Does u23 football produce target men? My feeling is they like false 9s, free roles and roaming attackers. A Duncan Ferguson would be coached until he dropped deep and could take a pass from the ‘keeper.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin is probably the closest thing to a traditional target man to have come through recently - and he started out lower down with Sheffield United. Even Uche was too mobile and multifaceted to be classed as a target man.

• I wonder whether we might get Kamal Sowah or George Hirst on loan from Leicester…

• I've only heard bad things about George Hirst's spell at Rotherham. I mean, he didn't score a single goal.

• Might be fun to actually not have a target man (other than Bayo). We might adopt a completely different style.

• edited July 2021

I still expect us to have a physical presence up top in whatever mould. I like the idea of Biamou, who's still a free agent, although we wouldn't be able to 'flip' him.

• For me, the issue early last season was not about being clinical, it was the inability to create many chances to begin with in most games. However, by the end of the season we were creating every type of chance and working the ball into the box from all angles, with Muskwe, McLeary and McCarthy all unplayable at times.

My point is that if we can remain as creative as we ended last season, I would fancy Kashket or any L1 striker of a similar level to put his fair share away. I still want that shiny new 9, of course, but there is massive grounds for optimism going forward either way.

• Hear hear to all of that @Shev.

• bayo seems to be enjoyin life according to Insta , food ans drinks...makes. me think maybe more of a squad players ans auppromg the youngsters more than playing time...he has earned the right ...absolute WW legend

• Aaron Amadi-Holloway has gone to Burton.

With Parker and Holloway "up top" they will be fine......

• @Wanderers82 said:
    bayo seems to be enjoyin life according to Insta , food ans drinks...makes. me think maybe more of a squad players ans auppromg the youngsters more than playing time...he has earned the right ...absolute WW legend

You may have missed the reels and reels of his gym work.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Wanderers82 said:
    bayo seems to be enjoyin life according to Insta , food ans drinks...makes. me think maybe more of a squad players ans auppromg the youngsters more than playing time...he has earned the right ...absolute WW legend

You may have missed the reels and reels of his gym work.

seen that also , but posting pictures of cocktails lol as I said he he a legend and has done a huge amount for our club