Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• Please! A taller @micra !

• @micra - I smoked for a while in my teens, but that was it. I had already pretty much finished growing by then, anyway! I come from tall Irish stock on my Dad's side.

• @micra said:

@glasshalffull said:
    @micra So that’s how you get the username!! Thanks @Micra, I always wondered what the secret was.

You’re very welcome but, strangely, your second effort threw up a capital ‘M’. Wonder who he is?

Mea culpa. I typed in your username for the second reference as I didn’t realise the same trick would work twice. Hope to get the hang of this social media lark before our next promotion.

• @micra said:
    It’s hot and humid and I’m in grumpy old git mode so I get just a little irritated when people refer, for example, to ‘Richard’ (I eventually worked out it was Dobbo, whose first name is rarely used), RITM and MrDH. I’ve seen @Right_in_the_Middle reduced to capitals before but, unless the last named is De Havilland (unlikely) I haven’t a clue.

I don’t know if it’s laziness that prevents people from using usernames or perhaps their devices don’t ‘throw up’ the relevant username when they type @ and the first two or three letters. If the latter I can understand that it would be irksome trying to remember underscoring etc.

Rant over.

We all have our special little irritations on here.

Grown men referring to Stewart as "Tools" always gets me.

• Was screaming "TOOLSYYY!" at the telly when he scored in the play-off final acceptable? Asking for a friend.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Was screaming "TOOLSYYY!" at the telly when he scored in the play-off final acceptable? Asking for a friend.

Haha that's an even worse version.

• edited July 2021

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Was screaming "TOOLSYYY!" at the telly when he scored in the play-off final acceptable? Asking for a friend.

Haha that's an even worse version.

It's the default footballer nickname really, just stuck a 'y' on the end and be done with it. Football Cliches did a whole bit on Matts and Mattys, incredible stuff.

• Tools’is a great moniker for our Anthony. Original, obscure, tests true Chairboy fandom. Perhaps the best there has ever been.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Tools’is a great moniker for our Anthony. Original, obscure, tests true Chairboy fandom. Perhaps the best there has ever been.

I can't even remember the reason behind it. Is it because he has "all the tools" as a defender?

• I’ve never felt comfortable about asking him how he acquired that nickname. Love that word. Nickname, not Tools. It derives from ‘an eke name’ eke being an old (Middle) English adjective meaning additional. It is also used as a verb as in ‘we could eke out yesterday’s leftovers by adding a few more potatoes’. Story of my life.

• I believe he got his nickname from his team mates, as he always had a set in his car, or something along those lines?

• I believe Tools is Tools as his youth-team chores was to help put goals and equipment up. He's also known as Bigsy... which I don't want to ask about really.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I believe he got his nickname from his team mates, as he always had a set in his car, or something along those lines?

Correct. Always had a tool for everything.
    Not to be mistaken with ‘all tooled up” that is quite something else

• I always refer to him as Anthony Stewart or sometimes Stewart. Is that too formal?

• Actor Anthony Head's middle is Stewart, although personally I prefer Anthony Stewart's head.

• Tools' middle name is Kelvin, fwiw. Maybe you should include that, @Wendoverman.

• Anthony Stewart heads.

• Fabulous expression on Darius's face.

• @Chris said:

Anthony Stewart heads.

And that’s me welling up

• Every still of Simon Eastwood I've seen from that game is just hilarious

• Oxford's nickname for Stewart is 'He Who Shall Not Be Passed'.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Actor Anthony Head's middle is Stewart, although personally I prefer Anthony Stewart's head.

I would probably not say that second line out loud pal.

• Not that he'd have been the right profile for us, but Wrexham have just signed Paul Mullin. Maybe time for some kind of FFP regs in the NL?

• I'm sure it's all about "the project" and not the money...

• edited July 2021

@YorkExile said:
    I'm sure it's all about "the project" and not the money...

Bingo!

"The ambition of the Club attracted me here"

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/signed-prolific-striker-paul-mullin-signs-three-year-deal-with-wrexham-afc

• WOW. Now that is a statement signing. I hope Wrexham get promoted this season!

• Interested to see if it actually works out. As prolific as he was for Cambridge, their approach was extremely heavily tailored to him - Wes Hoolahan played a massive part in that - and he'd never hit double figures in a season before.

• Wrexham's owners are reputedly worth over £200m. Chickeneed for the EFL, but not too shabby for a NL team.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Interested to see if it actually works out. As prolific as he was for Cambridge, their approach was extremely heavily tailored to him - Wes Hoolahan played a massive part in that - and he'd never hit double figures in a season before.

Yes. The cynic in me ponders the fact that he's moving when his stock is at its highest, which coincides with the expiry of his contract, to a club playing in the tier below where he produced by far his best season yet, who just so happen to be cash rich at this moment in time. It certainly gives him the best possible chance to produce similar figures while pocketing a tidy pay increase!

• @mooneyman said:
    Wrexham's owners are reputedly worth over £200m. Chickeneed for the EFL, but not too shabby for a NL team.

£200 million? That would surely only be a couple of films for Deadpool?