Skip to content

Summer transfer thread

Comments

• my sources tell me that it's the hair rather than the injury record or nightclubs that makes Carroll a no-go. There's a reason Randell couldn't come back.

• @Malone said:
    Just trying to imagine how many mins Carroll would take to break down then be out for 23weeks.

The first heading duel with Bayo in training and he would be out for the season!

• Andy Carroll? Behave ?

• I’ve not given up hope yet that we’ll sign Kyle Hudlin.

• If anyone wants to play detective, lots of photos here from the behind closed doors development friendly from Friday.
    https://www.chasdog.com/f715018709

• Andy Carroll is one of these guys who has such long spells out that there's a whole industry of rumours about whether it was an actual injury or not. Not to mention the numerous fan stories of encountering him on holidays.

Even if he was willing to swap 100k a week for 100 quid it's pure wide Berth material.

• edited July 2021

I had a quick look at his injury history and it's not even like it's a recurring issue with one thing; he seems to have injured everything from the waist down at least once (ok, maybe not literally everything).

• So is the 27 the one in the photos that wasn’t Kyle Hudlin?

• @Chris said:
    So is the 27 the one in the photos that wasn’t Kyle Hudlin?

I had a quick look...didn't recognise anyone.

• @JohnBoy said:
    If anyone wants to play detective, lots of photos here from the behind closed doors development friendly from Friday.

There is also video highlights on YouTube. Scotty K looking very sharp.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@JohnBoy said:
    If anyone wants to play detective, lots of photos here from the behind closed doors development friendly from Friday.

There is also video highlights on YouTube. Scotty K looking very sharp.

I think like me @perfidious_albion you got a development game (younglings) mixed up with the friendly with Stevenage on Saturday! Even I recognised Scotty k in that one! :smile:

• Sure we won't get any stars as our budget even with US involvement is a more limited and perhaps more pragmatic one than many in our division . That being said, I hope that Gareth can unlock some hidden gems for us.That is what he does best and I for one am as keen as any of us to see us play at a higher level once again.

• I'm looking forward to watching a good squad of players assembled by our management team giving promotion another go this coming season.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I'm looking forward to watching a good squad of players assembled by our management team giving promotion another go this coming season.

No, no, no, you're doing the Gasroom all wrong.

• I can’t see Wickham Wonders pushing for promotion in 2020-21 net reduction in squad size with only a few days to go the start of the season League 1 reject to replace the brilliant Fred Ikpeazu up the Wyc replacing Come on you Blues and all that dithering over what song to use for Kyle Kaikai - that leagu one readjust. Shocking

• Although the press team needs to get the sound sorted out in their videos...the interviews with the players on the website have really whetted my appetite to get into the ground and see the likes of McLeary, Horgan and Scowen (again!) playing in front of fans. I'm sure the crowds at AP would have been worth an extra point or two last season!

• McCleary and Mehmeti are the ones I want to see. They are the kind of players that you know can destroy an opponent.

Excluding any new arrivals of course.

• edited July 2021

Didn't realise Mehmeti literally hasn't played in front of fans yet - unused sub v Stoke and Coventry. Hopefully just like watching Eze again ?

• I see Mo Eisa has signed for the Franchise

Would have been an excellent signing for us, in my opinion

• @eric_plant said:
    I see Mo Eisa has signed for the Franchise

Would have been an excellent signing for us, in my opinion

He could of done a lot better! Surprised by this....

• edited July 2021

A big physical presence is our most pressing need, and Eisa isn't that. Can see us spending money there and then getting a Muskwe 'replacement' in on loan - although I think we'll go with Kashket first and foremost if we play a front two.

Plus I imagine we'll be trying to sign someone younger than Eisa (27) if we're to repeat the success of Uche.

• Not that every signing has to be made with resale value in mind - I mean, we re-signed Scowen - but just going by what Gaz said about finding 'the next Uche'.

• Lots of signings I see that I think 'oooo we missed out there'. But have we? We know home much effort Dobbo and Gaz put into the mental side of a signing and making sure they are the right kind of fit for Wycombe. And quite possibly if a player whose first question is (for example) 'how much?' is not the kind of player that we want.

The loan market is yet to kick off in full flight and that won't happen til the Premier League finishing spunking multi-million pound amounts on the next . I would hope that there is where we will find the key to our season.

We are close, very close, to a really decent and competitive squad for league 1. So the signing we make have to be successful and right.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Lots of signings I see that I think 'oooo we missed out there'. But have we? We know home much effort Dobbo and Gaz put into the mental side of a signing and making sure they are the right kind of fit for Wycombe. And quite possibly if a player whose first question is (for example) 'how much?' is not the kind of player that we want.

The loan market is yet to kick off in full flight and that won't happen til the Premier League finishing spunking multi-million pound amounts on the next . I would hope that there is where we will find the key to our season.

We are close, very close, to a really decent and competitive squad for league 1. So the signing we make have to be successful and right.

Agree with most of this except the "how much?" question is going to come at some point and it seems rather a waste to do all the checks on people you have zero chance of signing.

• Would you take a new job in your industry without wanting to know the salary on offer pretty early on the process? If you were in a career with a 15 year lifespan, and wildly different levels of pay depending on employer, wouldn't you be entitled to push for the one offering the most?

We can be as idealistic about Wycombe being some kind of utopian nirvana as we like but, fundamentally, if we want to sign the players who will get us challenging for promotion, we will need to offer competitive wages.

Every agent knows we've had a massive cash injection thanks to our season in the Championship and can afford to pay competitive salaries. If we then offer below market value in wages then I for one don't blame them for taking their clients elsewhere.

• @aloysius said:
    Would you take a new job in your industry without wanting to know the salary on offer pretty early on the process? If you were in a career with a 15 year lifespan, and wildly different levels of pay depending on employer, wouldn't you be entitled to push for the one offering the most?

We can be as idealistic about Wycombe being some kind of utopian nirvana as we like but, fundamentally, if we want to sign the players who will get us challenging for promotion, we will need to offer competitive wages.

Every agent knows we've had a massive cash injection thanks to our season in the Championship and can afford to pay competitive salaries. If we then offer below market value in wages then I for one don't blame them for taking their clients elsewhere.

I don't think we deliberately try to low-ball people, but we seem to be realistic about which players to go for, be they young on the way up or old boys that perhaps people have bypassed already. Handing out big deals based on a good year can bite you in the arse when the players are going to want them to be for several years. Anyway, nothing to suggest we won't do well in this area like we tend to do. Paying the same player more money because people are impatient for signings wouldn't exactly be ideal.

• So Kyle Hudlin not out of the question then @aloysius ?

To be fair to @TheAndyGrahamFanClub, he did say “...if the first question is ‘how much’”.

• We're not suddenly going to be able to offer wages on the same level as the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland etc - although it's probably not unreasonable to assume we can pay 'top half' wages now? Hard to say without knowing the actual numbers.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We're not suddenly going to be able to offer wages on the same level as the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland etc - although it's probably not unreasonable to assume we can pay 'top half' wages now? Hard to say without knowing the actual numbers.

Part of the trouble with comparisons is there are so few clubs that are stable and well run without owners "chipping in a fortune" which tends to mean running up debt in real life...oh, and the trust own the stadium not the club so we can't use dodgy trick number one even if we do find want to spend more.

• With reduced squad numbers this season, surely there'll be a fair few very decent players looking for any wage at all. It's a buyers' market.