Skip to content

Worst game you have seen

Comments

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    I think I've erased a lot of them from my memory, just by virtue of them being bad. One I do remember though is the 6-3 defeat at Posh after being 3-1 up, a brace from Mahoney-Johnson, Alan Smith's last game.
    I'd been trying to convince myself that we should stick with Smith a bit longer, but that game was the last straw I think, for most fans, and obviously for the club.

Smith was small enough to haul Terry Evans off in that one wasn't he?

A strange game, Mahoney Johnson scored 2 almost identical goals, I think his only goals for us?

• @Malone said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    The 0-0 at AP with Gaz behind the goal was horrific, brought a mate to that match who hasn't been back.

I recall a 7-0 drubbing at home to Shrews in the JPT, with Grant Holt before he was Grant Holt... but then it's the JPT, so it's forgotten.

In recent memory, away at Franchise last season. Stocko had a mare, and we didn't even try to play any football that day. ALSO, the PNL away game a few weeks earlier when Bayo was sent off. We were turgid that day, and to do it there was so bleak.

Trying to think of a game Gareth was behind the goal? As in being in the crowd?
    Or have I read that wrong?

Referenced earlier in the thread, would've been 2010 I guess when he'd just joined. He was suspended, I think, and as a bit of PR he watched the game in the terrace. It was a turgid 0-0.

• I’m voting Basingstoke away. Truly awful,

• I recall the (first) 6-0 TV drubbing vs Huddersfield being a horrific experience, whereby Hudds looked like they had a chance of scoring pretty much every time they had the ball.

The only redeeming feature was that had the game not been on TV, I was fully intending to make the trip, so I was spared the time and expense of a full away day.

I liked the Joma black kit we wore that day, but I can’t recall us being anything other than crap in it.

I just Googled the game, and apparently there was a Duberry og near the end to put the cherry on top, clearly blocked that from my memory. Ah the magic of 50p head.

Thankfully I missed the second 6-0 Hudds TV debacle as I was away on holiday.

• The 3-0 loss at Colchester in December 91 was particularly depressing (tho helped by finding an excellent Ridley's pub on route that had their rare Xmas beer).
    More recently, a 2-0 home defeat to Morecambe in early January 2016 was particularly awful, and certainly wasn't a good choice for the pre-match meal package. Mind, as I recall, it was even worse for @bookertease who had an executive box that day!

• God that Morecambe game was dire. The only thing good about it was I was protected from the elements (celebrating 50 years of watching Wycombe hence splashing out on the box).

I seem to remember a lot of pretty awful games around that time when we really weren’t a good watch

• @PBo said:
    I recall the (first) 6-0 TV drubbing vs Huddersfield being a horrific experience, whereby Hudds looked like they had a chance of scoring pretty much every time they had the ball.

The only redeeming feature was that had the game not been on TV, I was fully intending to make the trip, so I was spared the time and expense of a full away day.

I liked the Joma black kit we wore that day, but I can’t recall us being anything other than crap in it.

I just Googled the game, and apparently there was a Duberry og near the end to put the cherry on top, clearly blocked that from my memory. Ah the magic of 50p head.

I don’t recall Duberry touching the ball before helping it into our own net. At least one team looked good on the day though.

For me a truly terrible game is one in which it is evident neither side have a hope in hell of scoring and don’t look like they want to try. Usually heavy rain and biting wind are a factor. I can’t recall a particular one, no doubt because they are entirely forgettable.

• @Manboobs said:

@PBo said:
    I recall the (first) 6-0 TV drubbing vs Huddersfield being a horrific experience, whereby Hudds looked like they had a chance of scoring pretty much every time they had the ball.

I don’t recall Duberry touching the ball before helping it into our own net. At least one team looked good on the day though.

For me a truly terrible game is one in which it is evident neither side have a hope in hell of scoring and don’t look like they want to try. Usually heavy rain and biting wind are a factor. I can’t recall a particular one, no doubt because they are entirely forgettable.

We had a couple of terrible 0-0s at the start of the promotion season, away at Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon. Dreadful weather for both too

• Have we ever had a good game at AFC Wimbledon?

• Hereford at home in what must have felt the lowest key FA cup 3rd round we've ever had about a decade ago.
    Never got going, poor game and a meek loss.

It was like someone had agreed that we could have one epic season in the FA cup, and then achieve nothing for the next 10 years.
    In fairness, I think we'd all have taken that deal.

• The FA Cup game back in 2008 when Matt Harrold scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    The FA Cup game back in 2008 when Matt Harrold scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 win.

Ah yeah, although we were two divisions apart then.

Just looked and our league record at Kingsmeadow v AFCW was: 2-2, L 1-0, 0-0, 1-1, L 2-1, 0-0. Hopefully the new stadium transforms our fortunes!

• Although we've literally only beaten them once in the league anywhere - 2-0 in Oct 2014, Scowen and Wood.

• I recall a truly awful match at The Valley between Charlton and Manchester City in March 1952. The pitch was largely baked mud, there was quite a wind and the sun shone so that the bouncing ball, was hardly ever under control. Not surprisingly it was goalless. That, and another, even earlier, first division match between Chelsea and Wolves on a frozen and snowy pitch are the only two top division matches I have ever seen in person. Much better to watch games without too much expectation, then you don't feel so much disappointment.

• edited May 2021

Some horrible memories on here, here are some that haven't been mentioned

0-2 away to Cambridge United on a midweek in around 2002
    Carlos Lopez' only game for the club, the highlight of the evening was the Wycombe fans singing Bohemian Rhapsody in its enririty.

1-5 at Walsall during our FA Cup Semi year
    A knackered Wycombe put up a meek performance and were hammered in the Midlands

1-4 at home to Yeovil Town under Taylor
    Under Taylor I think this was, truly dreadful against a relegation candidate.

0-4 at Chesterfield (old ground) under Sanchez
    Wycombe putting in a terrible display and Sanchez forcing the players to apologise. Recall another miserable midweek performance at their new place.

• Every now and then I get a flashback to that afternoon at Saltergate. The moment we knew Sanchez had finally lost it.

• Who was that non-league team we lost 1-0 at home to a few years ago? Eastwood town?> @WanderingDays said:

@Manboobs said:

@PBo said:

We had a couple of terrible 0-0s at the start of the promotion season, away at Bristol Rovers and Wimbledon. Dreadful weather for both too

That Bristol rovers game was utter wank, I had a friend visiting from New Zealand for that! Don’t think they will ever watch a game of football again.

• I thought I would delve more into the Chelsea match I mentioned. The pitch was snow-covered and the flight of steps leading out of the ground was slippery and terrifying to me as a boy being shoved around in the crush. It was on December 21st 1946 and this may be of interest:- https://www.stamford-bridge.com/match.php?mid=1626&opp=Wolverhampton Wanderers
    The conditions, particularly for the crowd, were very bad and the match would not be allowed to proceed nowadays. It made me determined to stick with Loakes Park if I wanted to watch football.

• Pretty much every game that is quid a kid or a new fan promotional push tends to be a signal for the sh1ttiest display of the season.

• Agreed, quid a kid was always the signal for rubbish.

• That goal-less draw with Carlisle United at Adams Park in March 2010 was so bad that it belongs in a category all of its own.

• Plenty of these resonate with me, particularly trips to Chesterfield and Huddersfield. I'd like to throw in Darlington away in 2004 in front of 4,000 fans rattling around inside the new 25,000 all seater Reynolds Arena. I was in a calamitous state having barely had any sleep the night before, and I don't recall there being any real chances apart from a solitary Clyde Wijnhard penalty which settled matters. I've never been to Darlington again.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@eric_plant said:
    That last Gary Waddock game v Wimbledon is up there.

I'd put him in the bracket of managers who did well for a bit, decent enough guy, but I remember fuming after that game and being delighted to hear of his sacking on the way home, few recollections of the actual game but remember being pretty annoyed after.

His managerial record since then suggests that he simply ran out of steam. His signings in his last pre-season were pretty much all shockers (Sam Wood excepted). Though his interlude at the PNLs was most amusing.

• No-one's mentioned our defeat at Fleetwood in the FA Cup in 2011. We were absolutely abject and convincingly swept aside with ease. Elliot Benyon's hideous miss towards the end will probably haunt me until my dying day.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    No-one's mentioned our defeat at Fleetwood in the FA Cup in 2011. We were absolutely abject and convincingly swept aside with ease. Elliot Benyon's hideous miss towards the end will probably haunt me until my dying day.

Fleetwood were down to 10 before half time as well weren't they?
    Didn't help us at all and very comfortably beaten.

A division below but with us bottom and them top it made no difference.

I remember finding the game live on the laptop which was strange as It certainly wasn't a UK live game and would have been a strange foreign nation choice.

• @ReadingMarginalista I was never his biggest fan, but he's clearly been part of a very effective and successful management team at Cambridge this season.

• @Malone said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:
    No-one's mentioned our defeat at Fleetwood in the FA Cup in 2011. We were absolutely abject and convincingly swept aside with ease. Elliot Benyon's hideous miss towards the end will probably haunt me until my dying day.

Fleetwood were down to 10 before half time as well weren't they?
    Didn't help us at all and very comfortably beaten.

A division below but with us bottom and them top it made no difference.

I remember finding the game live on the laptop which was strange as It certainly wasn't a UK live game and would have been a strange foreign nation choice.

Ah yes, I was at this one too. We were two divisions above weren't we? I had forgotten that they were down to 10 men before half time though. Jamie Vardy kept us busy enough to more than balance that out.

• A couple from way back. Walton and Hersham away in the FA Cup 3rd (I think) qualifying round in 1972. Went behind very early on, never managed to get back into it. I got thumped by a Walton 'lad' during the second half, spent the rest of the afternoon in the medical room with a badly cut and swollen eye.
    Also from the same season, Cheshunt at home in the first round of the Amateur Cup. Lost 1-0, John Delaney was injured early on. After our decent runs in the competition over the previous few years, felt like a massive anti-climax, especially against supposedly inferior opposition. Decided after the game never to watch Wycombe again. Had changed my mind back by Sunday.

• The only time I recall us playing Eastwood Town at home, @OxfordBlue, was a Fourth Qualifying round replay in November 1983 which we won 2-1.

• @micra said:
    The only time I recall us playing Eastwood Town at home, @OxfordBlue, was a Fourth Qualifying round replay in November 1983 which we won 2-1.

Quite right, the more recent FA cup loss was away, I must be mixing it up with some other game.