Skip to content

Worst game you have seen

Comments

• @PhilSlatter said:

I also recall a story from another fan about THAT 6-0 drubbing at Stockport. After the game they got back to the car to discover a window smashed and the radio gone. They had to hang around for the police then drive home late with no radio in a freezing car with no window. Arrived back the next morning and missed the Rick Hatton v Floyd Mayweather fight. I can't imagine a worse afternoon/evening/night than that.

That may well have been me! My radio was knicked up there but then I think a few were! I'd only had it one week, took the front off but stupidly left in it in the boot.

Was a cold journey home, waited a good two or three hours for the police...

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Met Police, enough said.... nothing will ever get worse than that... ever

This.....

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Met Police, enough said.... nothing will ever get worse than that... ever

Ditto. Walking away from that, my dad said 'He's (Kelman) out before the next game. As usual he was right!

• edited May 2021

About five years ago, we lost 1-0 at Yeovil in a game of such utter tedium that with ten minutes to go rather than dreaming of a glorious late equaliser, I just wanted the ref to blow his whistle and let us go home. I was quite a relief when he finally did.

Needed a few beers and a fine band in Bridport to finally put the game out of my head.

• A hideously poor 0-1 loss against Pompey a couple of seasons back settled by a ridiculous penalty for them which only the referee saw or appealed for...I assume just to put everyone out of their misery. Both sides were truly awful.

• There were some awful games at the end of Adams first season when he'd given up on even trying to stay up, followed closely by a few even worse games when we'd already gone down and he had told the squad they were all crap and could all leave.
    No idea who we were playing but remember a friend being able to drive right up to the ground as the attendance was so low, Simpemba at right back, nothing at all happening and a game of predicting how many times the ball will go over the main stand.
    Also remember a few that won't mean much to others but include when going with friends and family or trying to introduce friends to the mighty wanderers only for the game to be dreadful or us to get a hammering, or both. Sods law.

• 2018, 0-0 v Port Vale. Turned to the guy next to me at one point and said “this is dire isn’t it?”. “Steady on” he replied “it isn’t that good”

• @StrongestTeam said:
    There were some awful games at the end of Adams first season when he'd given up on even trying to stay up, followed closely by a few even worse games when we'd already gone down and he had told the squad they were all crap and could all leave.
    No idea who we were playing but remember a friend being able to drive right up to the ground as the attendance was so low, Simpemba at right back, nothing at all happening and a game of predicting how many times the ball will go over the main stand.
    Also remember a few that won't mean much to others but include when going with friends and family or trying to introduce friends to the mighty wanderers only for the game to be dreadful or us to get a hammering, or both. Sods law.

I took two mates to Wycombe games for the first time in the 2017-18 promotion season.

Swindon 1-0 Wycombe

• A game most notable for being the most windy I've ever seen than anything on the pitch. I can't remember us having a meaningful chance. And I'd been raving about Eze to my mate all the way there, before finding out that he was on the bench

Yeovil 0-1 Wycombe

• Similar to the above, until Williams scored with a few minutes to go. We were absolutely awful that day but somehow found a way to win

Needless to say, neither friend was impressed

• Season we got relegated from L1. Losing 3-0 (?) away at Walsall when it was so painfully cold. Then later same season getting beaten at Chesterfield to confirm the relegation in the pissing rain.

• Never take first timers to a league game, take them to a cup game.

That said why people go to one match , it’s a dull 0-0 and swear never to return. For all they know that 0-0 might be the teams first point, first clean sheet and prove to be the turning point in a season , who knows? You have to go more than once in the league surely.

• I've been to some appalling Premier League games in my time...and given the supposed talent on show...found it far more irritating than a dull League Two game.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I've been to some appalling Premier League games in my time...and given the supposed talent on show...found it far more irritating than a dull League Two game.

I think the PL is the most boring and least atmospheric division.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I've been to some appalling Premier League games in my time...and given the supposed talent on show...found it far more irritating than a dull League Two game.

Me too. Used to regularly get free tickets to Premier League games at Chelsea. Quite literally couldn’t give them away so went along and very often left with 30 mins to go.

Having said that has there ever been an exciting Wycombe v Barnet midweek game?

• Didn't they beat us 7-0 once midweek?

I imagine they found that pretty exciting

• It was rather painful for us Wanderers fans, A few weeks after departing Loakes Park, our hero Noel Ashford was pulling the strings for Barnet as they destroyed us.
    Adding to the agony was Barry Fry doing a Mick Channon windmill, down the touchline after every goal.

• Capital League Cup Final in 87 against Barnet was exciting. Wonderful late winner by Kevin Durham, sparking wild scenes on the Gasworks End.

• @Shev said:

@Wendoverman said:

I think the PL is the most boring and least atmospheric division.

Amen brother

• @Right_in_the_Middle One in 90/91 at Underhill where Sir Matt got sent off early and we lost by the odd goal in 5 or 7 ...

• @our_frank that was a great match. Absolutely electric atmosphere at Underhill that night.

• @Commoner said:

@PhilSlatter said:

I also recall a story from another fan about THAT 6-0 drubbing at Stockport. After the game they got back to the car to discover a window smashed and the radio gone. They had to hang around for the police then drive home late with no radio in a freezing car with no window. Arrived back the next morning and missed the Rick Hatton v Floyd Mayweather fight. I can't imagine a worse afternoon/evening/night than that.

That may well have been me! My radio was knicked up there but then I think a few were! I'd only had it one week, took the front off but stupidly left in it in the boot.

Was a cold journey home, waited a good two or three hours for the police...

Just had a flash back to the days when me and the fascia to my radio used to go to games.

• Wycombe 0-7 Salop

Vaccinated by Grant Holt (5 goals)

It was only the JPT but still...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Wendoverman said:

Me too. Used to regularly get free tickets to Premier League games at Chelsea. Quite literally couldn’t give them away so went along and very often left with 30 mins to go.

Having said that has there ever been an exciting Wycombe v Barnet midweek game?

I remember the 4-2 win at AP in 2010. Didn't Sandell and Blooms score that night?

• Lots of ‘excellent’ contenders. That 6-0 defeat at Stockport really was a real low point, I hated going there anyway.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet, surely our defeat to Eastwood in the FA Cup is right up there. It felt like we were playing in that scene from Blackadder, where he’s in some sort of foggy marshland. Our performance was perfectly summed up by the normally pinpoint accurate Tommy Doherty coming on and immediately lumping the ball over the stand. It was made worse by the fact we were actually top of the league too. I still have nightmares...

In a similar vein, how about Basingstoke?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7741930.stm
    http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/facup978.htm

• It’s hard to look past the Met Police match, although Basingstoke was also god awful.

Another contender would be 5-0 away at Walsall in the Auto-windscreens when Alan Smith made the players stay out on the pitch for the whole of the half-time break.

Embarrassment turned to shame at what this imposter was doing to the squad that had achieved miracles in the previous few seasons.

I’ll never forget the look on Simon Garner’s face.

• This was my worst ever. I was so disappointed with the desire I left at half time and went to the pub and lost respect for a couple of players that day. My friend was an estate agent and was marketing a house of one of them to sell earlier in the week and had seemingly given given up. All such a far cry from this seasons relegation

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/479286.wycombe-wanderers-1-2-tranmere-rovers/

• @BlueBoy @TheatreOfChairs Blimey - I'd forgotten Basingstoke. Thanks for the reminder!

• That Basingstoke performance was one of the only times I’ve been angry at the team post match.

It felt like we thought we’d just have to turn up to win having forgotten what it was like to be the cup minnow.

York away early 90s was another low. An abject performance on a cold, wet night followed by a tricky drive home to Lancaster across the Pennines.
    I got done for speeding about 1/2 a mile from home doing 33 in a 30 on a deserted road at about midnight. I knew I was in trouble when the first thing the copper asked was ‘are you a student?’.

• The 0-0 at AP with Gaz behind the goal was horrific, brought a mate to that match who hasn't been back.

I recall a 7-0 drubbing at home to Shrews in the JPT, with Grant Holt before he was Grant Holt... but then it's the JPT, so it's forgotten.

In recent memory, away at Franchise last season. Stocko had a mare, and we didn't even try to play any football that day. ALSO, the PNL away game a few weeks earlier when Bayo was sent off. We were turgid that day, and to do it there was so bleak.

• I think I've erased a lot of them from my memory, just by virtue of them being bad. One I do remember though is the 6-3 defeat at Posh after being 3-1 up, a brace from Mahoney-Johnson, Alan Smith's last game.
    I'd been trying to convince myself that we should stick with Smith a bit longer, but that game was the last straw I think, for most fans, and obviously for the club.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    The 0-0 at AP with Gaz behind the goal was horrific, brought a mate to that match who hasn't been back.

I recall a 7-0 drubbing at home to Shrews in the JPT, with Grant Holt before he was Grant Holt... but then it's the JPT, so it's forgotten.

In recent memory, away at Franchise last season. Stocko had a mare, and we didn't even try to play any football that day. ALSO, the PNL away game a few weeks earlier when Bayo was sent off. We were turgid that day, and to do it there was so bleak.

Trying to think of a game Gareth was behind the goal? As in being in the crowd?
    Or have I read that wrong?