Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• So if it can be either @Twizz, the Boro Statement was not incorrect.

• More like MM to wife: 'Honey I shrunk the football club...mwahahaha'

• @mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@micra would probably like that re-written as "were" cheating, but cheating is the key here ;)

Are you sure? When referring to Derby in connection with the EFL rules, surely they are a corporate body therefore a single entity in which case "was" is appropriate. I am probably wrong but no doubt @micra will confirm one way or the other!

Correct.

• @drcongo Thanks. I thought it was painstakingly even-handed myself.

• edited January 2022

If you’re not listening, here’s a summary of comments from the BBC Tees reporter.

• general feeling at Boro is that they feel like they are being made scapegoats.
    • Boro have attempted to work with administrators to no avail.
    • the claim of £40m doing the rounds in incorrect and the actual amount is significantly less.
    • if PB feels so confident that there is no claim, they should accept the risk and take it to court.
  • Possibly stupid question: who is PB?

• Any news on Rob's interview ?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Possibly stupid question: who is PB?

I'd assume the Preferred bidder ?

• I don’t know if it’s a good idea for Rob to be interviewed by radio Derby no matter how right we are the county fans aren’t going to listen they know already that the club cheated but they can’t accept it I would have put it to him like this Rob you’ve going to an NRA rally and you’re going to logically explain with charts how their firearms are a danger to themselves and others,

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Possibly stupid question: who is PB?

Sorry, preferred bidder (so probably Ashley)

@HolmerBlue said:
    Any news on Rob's interview ?

I’m about 10 mins behind. His interview is just about to come on now, at the 29 min mark for anyone who wants to listen. On BBC Sounds app.

• Nigel Adderley is making a proper fool of himself on Twitter right now. Pursuing the ‘PPG was imposed on everyone by 8th placed Wycombe’ angle.

The man’s meant to be a professional journalist!

• Rob’s interview:

• we submitted a claim in the summer based on several factors that should have resulted in their relegation.
    • Derby knew last spring that they would fail FFP and that there would be a points deduction. They made a decision not to file their accounts until it was too late and as a result we lost out. This was a calculated decision by the Derby leadership team in order to remain in the Championship.
    • we’ve lost in excess of £10m as a result.
    • statistically teams that stay in Championship for a second term stay up for a third.
    • Ed asked for proof on Rob’s claim that they deliberately delayed filing their accounts. Rob has quoted some dates and said it’s obvious. “Hand in cookie jar”. He says his perception is that Mel knew Derby would be better off going into admin in Champ.
    • Rob is talking about Ed’s interview with Mel (the one that has conveniently been removed from BBC).
    • Rob wants to be financially compensated for the loss.
    • Rob just called them Wayne Rooney’s Derby haha!
    • one meeting with admins that was unsatisfactory and they “have no clue”.
    • Rob has asked if they haven’t settled with any of the other creditors yet. Ed confirmed they haven’t.
    • Rob doesn’t have any faith in the admins. They fail to keep their word time and time again. Nobody from media is challenging admin team. Ed disagrees but Rob sarcastically corrects him.
    • Rob is confident we would win in court - “I wouldn’t do it we wouldn’t win”. He then lists off his history in law.
  • @mooneyman said:
    So if it can be either @Twizz, the Boro Statement was not incorrect.

Sound both out

Derby County was cheating.
    Derby County were cheating.

The first one simply sounds wrong.

• I tell you something, and it shouldn't be a surprise, but Rob Couhig is brilliant at this

• @arnos_grove said:
    Nigel Adderley is making a proper fool of himself on Twitter right now. Pursuing the ‘PPG was imposed on everyone by 8th placed Wycombe’ angle.

Look at who he supports...

• Rob was superb

• Rob pointed out to them the blindingly obvious...that the administrators have a lot of questions to answer that people don't seem to be asking

• That was fantastic from Rob Couhig. Speaking facts, pure and simple

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Nigel Adderley is making a proper fool of himself on Twitter right now. Pursuing the ‘PPG was imposed on everyone by 8th placed Wycombe’ angle.

Is it Posh?

• Listened to all of that, I thought Rob spoke coherently and passionately in the face of some predictably biased questioning.

Felt like he was being honest and as open as legally possible too.

Right now I back his position

• Ed talked about what football means to the community. He asked what Rob would say to the Derby fans. Rob said he feels terrible for them.
    • Rob said people are misreading the EFL statement and that we are not causing a block on the takeover.
    • Ed said time is ticking for Derby and that bidders would be put off by the Boro and Wycombe claims.
    • Rob’s view is that the admins are using the Boro and Wycombe cases as a diversion.
    • Ed has quoted a tweet from one of the Wycombe Twitter fan groups and says that our fans don’t want this. I don’t think it’s fair to use one persons tweet to speak for everyone.
    • Rob won’t reveal the amount we are asking for.
    • Rob: ‘you’re asking me to give up but has Mel Morris given up his claim?’ referring to the stadium (worth £81m)
    • Mel giving up the stadium would settle a lot of their debt.
    • Ed says it was fortunate that we got promoted!!! Rob: “we would have finished first or second if the season was played out and that’s my view as a fan”.
  • After first weekend of this season, Rob offered to swap divisions with Derby which Mel (I believe) refused.

• @arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@arnos_grove said:

Is it Posh?

Nah, Tranmere - the other ones who seem to think we wronged them...

• edited January 2022

@arnos_grove said:

Why do I have the memory that we abstained from the vote because Rob didn’t want to vote for something we would directly benefit from?

Have I made that up?

• @Malone said:

@mooneyman said:
    So if it can be either @Twizz, the Boro Statement was not incorrect.

Sound both out

Derby County was cheating.
    Derby County were cheating.

The first one simply sounds wrong.

TBH I just needed to write "Derby were cheating"

• Derby fans have another enemy now after that interview!- Radio Derby....

Unbelievable

• Pauline Latham MP has said that clubs like Derby represent the heart and soul of their community. So why then have they stiffed most of their local business people?

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bf7nz6 Listen from about 18:28 for half an hour

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Pauline Latham MP has said that clubs like Derby represent the heart and soul of their community. So why then have they stiffed most of their local business people?

Perhaps she says that as football has replaced religion in most peoples daily lives...

• Apparently BBC Derby are out in Wycombe and Middlesbrough tomorrow getting vox pops? Fucking hell.