Skip to content

That irritating Gareth to Preston thing again

Comments

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Sorry, I’m confused... whose fans are we talking about? Sheffield Utd? Sheffield Weds? Bristol Rovers? Grimsby?

My bad, I meant in the relegation zone. My point still stands. I live in Oxford and people say 'Had a good season?' in that ironic way, and I reply that every game is like a cup game. I wouldn't have swapped this season for a relatively more successful time in League 1. Certainly not for Oxford Utd's season.

• of course - and I agree with your point. Although if Oxford get promotion and nothing comes of the Derby stuff, then they will be having our season just gone, next year, and we will be having theirs. It could well be a different story again in 12 months' time...

• @HorspathBlue said:

@LeedsBlue said:
    Sorry, I’m confused... whose fans are we talking about? Sheffield Utd? Sheffield Weds? Bristol Rovers? Grimsby?

My bad, I meant in the relegation zone. My point still stands. I live in Oxford and people say 'Had a good season?' in that ironic way, and I reply that every game is like a cup game. I wouldn't have swapped this season for a relatively more successful time in League 1. Certainly not for Oxford Utd's season.

PNL had a good season, me “Cha-ching”

• What’s with this “my bad” expression? It’s horrible and I can only think it’s an American version of “mea culpa”. What do you think @HCblue ?

• “What’s with” isn’t much better!

• Is there a Gasroom style guide I can consult?

• Yes, he's called @micra

• @micra said:
    What’s with this “my bad” expression? It’s horrible and I can only think it’s an American version of “mea culpa”. What do you think @HCblue ?

Yes, it is synonymous with the "mea culpa" that we all use routinely here in England! Honestly, I think there's a time and place for different idioms and, if I know what the person means, I'm not overly bothered, somewhere like this, with how they go about saying it. Naturally, one particular enjoys the contributions of those in whose forms of expression one finds there to be some style.)

• There are a couple of schools of thought here. Such idioms can also be indicative of a general decay in the grasp of language.

Year 1550: "By my troth! 'Twas certainly the fault of none other than the base caitiff you see before you. 'Twas less than good, if 'good' be word enough for such measurements."

Year 1880: "Upon my soul! That was my fault, and I apologize unreservedly."

Year 1945: "That was my fault, and I apologize!"

Year 1980: "My fault, sorry!"

Year 2020: "My bad!"

• Does all this count as bantz or limbs?

• Neither @Wendoverman.

Brilliant illustration, @shev, of the progressive impoverishment of language through the ages, from the outrageously flamboyant style of the 16th century to the elegantly simple 1980 version and, sadly, beyond.

I’ve not clicked on the link which you posted @OakwoodExile as @drcongo recently advised that lengthy links are often used to harvest personal data. I’d be very interested to know just how and in what context “my bad” was used in 1970, though.

• @Shev said:
    There are a couple of schools of thought here. Such idioms can also be indicative of a general decay in the grasp of language.

Year 1550: "By my troth! 'Twas certainly the fault of none other than the base caitiff you see before you. 'Twas less than good, if 'good' be word enough for such measurements."

Sorry I spoke

• Surely the correct response, @HorspathBlue, is "soz"?

• My bad is annoying.
    But nowhere near as annoying as "you got this".

• Or Math rather than Maths. Or the use of the intensifying adverb ‘Super.....’ for virtually everything. Super tasty meal, rather than using very, really, extremely, or any of the other dozens of traditional choices!

• @Malone said:
    My bad is annoying.
    But nowhere near as annoying as "you got this".

You got this in a charity shop, didn’t you?
    That’s ok isn’t it @Malone ?

• Grammar abs language pedants, make of this what you will.

• And I thought he’d be on my side!

Must confess (fess up?) that there are quite a few commonly used words, phrases and pronunciations that jar on me (try as I may not to let them). I’ll limit myself to just one example.

Particularly topical (and I suspect few will share this one) is reference to “Covid cases continue to rise”. Cases don’t rise; the number of cases rises. And I bet some are thinking “aha, he’s slipped up there, it should be ‘the number of cases rise’ “. No, it shouldn’t. ‘Number’ (a singular noun) is the subject, not ‘cases’.

I sometimes wish I hadn’t gone to a Grammar School - an extraordinarily anachronistic name for a type of school.
    Whether I responded more readily than most to the rules of grammar, I’m not sure but a Wycombe supporting acquaintance who swears he went to the RGS often uses expressions like “if I’d known that I would’ve went earlier”. I suppose it all depends.

• Come on Micra - let us see some more examples, or perhaps your complete list. You know you want to. Some of us might both enjoy reading them and being enlightened (or maybe that is just reminded).

• Just woken up for the second (well, third or fourth counting calls of nature) @Thicketblue and writing a long-winded post (starting) before 8am fair wore me out.

Here goes. Communal with the accent on the second syllable. Amount of people for number. Would of. Help them ‘as best we can’ instead of as well as we can. (There are no degrees of ‘best’). There is a word for the form of the adjective which ‘best’ is.
    Better is comparative and I think best may be described as the superlative. I hope @HCblue will be able to adjudicate. “We’ll do our best/utmost to help” is fine of course.

In the same category, it is becoming alarmingly commonplace for people to say “it’ll be more easier”, “more uglier” etc etc.

I’ll drone on no longer!

• It's going to be a long close season

• May be time to resurrect the classic “Guess The Power Station” rather than risk the divisiveness and acrimony that inevitably ensues from ever more fighting of The Grammar Wars.

• Were ne’r to old to learn our grammer

• times have moved on @PBo . We need more of this sort of stuff.

• Inner Dowsing?

• That just illustrates why I love the Gasroom!
    All we need now are some photographs of lost railway stations.
    As an aside, I have recently moved from Maidenhead Thicket to Bourne End and regularly walk the old railway line to Wycombe (as far as you can). Photos of the rest of the route would be of interest.

• @Shev said:
    There are a couple of schools of thought here. Such idioms can also be indicative of a general decay in the grasp of language.

No Englishman would have spelt apologise with a zee in 1945

• "We go again".... truly awful saying...