Skip to content

That irritating Gareth to Preston thing again

Comments

• @arnos_grove a work of pure genius.

• Agree @mooneyman there is no point (except financial) to leave us simply to bobble about in the Championship unless you go to a team that is pushing for promotion. Keeping Preston in and around mid-table surely cannot be much fun.

• I'm confused @Wendoverman.

You seem to be saying that you think Couhig may well sack GA if we don't make the playoffs (or get very close) after reassuring me in the same post that you don't think the minimum acceptable is to reach the playoffs.

Hope is one thing, expectation another. Are we in danger of taking GA inspired over-performance for granted?

• Couhig may have different expectations to a reasonable fan.

• @Shev said:
    GA did say that the first three results he looks for are Blackburn, then Preston, the. QPR. So Preston are certainly up there.

That being said, I don't think he is going anywhere. He is in a great spot with us.

That's because they're in alphabetical order?

• Having seen our performances in the championship for the last third of the season, if we keep hold of the squad and replace the loanees, why would it be unreasonable to expect us to be in the top 7 of the league below?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @DevC I think you are in danger of taking quite reasonable posts and making up your own outrage there.

What's new!

• I'd like to point out I'm not excited by the idea of him going, just if he did go curious about who we'd get in now we're have a slightly loftier reputation, and interested to see what they'd do.

• @DevC said:
    I'm confused @Wendoverman.

Your age. possibly?

• Not that is very possible indeed

• Now not not

Ugghh

• edited April 2021

For clarity, my view is, I do not expect Gaz to leave for Preston and hope he will be leading us out of League One again, but given the messages we have from our loveable owner this season, he will be expecting football success to go alongside the 'matchday experience'. I have no idea what he will ask of Gareth, what he sees as progress or what he sees as an acceptable level of success in League One. I could be completely wide of the mark but I would suggest he's not saying 'Don't worry, it does not matter if you don't make the play-offs, after all I know we've only done it once in our history...'
    So I don't think Gareth SHOULD go if we do not make the play-offs or fail to get promoted, far from it, I'm saying the choice may not be mine or his...

• I pretty much guarentee the choice will not be yours or mine @Wendoverman. I don’t think I said it was.

If Couhig is so fecking stupid that he would sack the manager who has delivered season after season of extraordinary over-performance for the heinous crime of finishing 13th in Lg1, then frankly I would be very worried for the future of our club.

Sadly I do have a sneaky feeling you may be right though.

• DON'T

GET

SUCKED

IN

• Thinking I have worked out the key word n this thread header based on some of the posts.

Irritating

• Would you do it in the co-op cheese aisle?

• @DevC said:
    I pretty much guarentee the choice will not be yours or mine @Wendoverman. I don’t think I said it was.

If Couhig is so fecking stupid that he would sack the manager who has delivered season after season of extraordinary over-performance for the heinous crime of finishing 13th in Lg1, then frankly I would be very worried for the future of our club.

Sadly I do have a sneaky feeling you may be right though.

Surely that completely depends on the squad GA has for the start of next year?

If he's given a budget and has a squad that should challenge, and we don't, credit in the bank doesn't last forever- personally unless the squad loses the "spirit" that GA quite clearly has a gift of cultivating, he should be pretty untouchable unless we completely tank- but it's not my money!

• Credit in the bank for the best years in the club's history lasts a lot longer than half a season for me. Especially if achieving a very creditable mid-table performance.

I fear this conversation may prove academic though. Betting markets for the Preston job moved significantly overnight. That may not be a good sign.

• More likely a sign that a single punter had a couple of quid on it I'd say

• Just read Ainsworth's comments on Preston from Sky last night .Didn't exactly bat it away and was very complementary about them. Unfortunately I think this is one to worry about despite all the talk of wanting to take us back into the Championship.

• You'll be surprised that some people will not be worried at all about him going @davecz

• @davecz said:
    Just read Ainsworth's comments on Preston from Sky last night .Didn't exactly bat it away and was very complementary about them. Unfortunately I think this is one to worry about despite all the talk of wanting to take us back into the Championship.

Can't think of an interview off hand where he's ever been less than complimentary about any player, manager or club, occasionally a referee ...

• It would be utterly mad of Ainsworth to talk himself out of any job offer, before any has even been made.

He's experienced the post Rovers game terrace mob. He will know for certain that he's only ever xx games away from that being repeated, despite his near miraculous few seasons of work since.

• That "terrace mob" was about 20 kids behind the goal.

He'd had support from the rest of the crowd

• Thankfully, Preston's interim manager has done a pretty decent job so far. Give him the position full time, please!

• Is there any point in all this? Chinese whispers on a grand scale.

• Correct but you're in the danger zone now @wingnut, you'll be accused of being Gasroom Mafia for trying to sway wild opinion to reason. All discussions have to be done to death, ressurected and done to death again and again. Although TBF I fully support the ability to do this and also the wider opinions we have. Should you wake up to find a horses head in your bed soon........it wasn't me!????

• @ChasHarps said:
    Just out of interest, when was the last time a manager of a team that finished bottom of its league, poached by a team higher up the pyramid ?

When did the fans of a team that finished bottom of their league express such positivity and admiriation for their team?

• edited May 2021

Sorry, I’m confused... whose fans are we talking about? Sheffield Utd? Sheffield Weds? Bristol Rovers? Grimsby?