Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Anyone still think we are staying up?

Someone will quickly be on to say there's still 22 games etc etc.

The only positive is it's the same 0 points whether you lose 1-0 or 7-2.
    And this was never a game we had any right to expect a win.

• For all that that was awful, I’m willing to allow that the psychological effect of the penalty was capable of being a significant factor on subsequent events. But we’ve come back from such things in the past.

• Desperately trying to rationalise the total collapse. Three key back four players being missing as well as a couple (?) of covering central midfielders is the best I can do.

• If the penalty isn’t given, that’s a different game. It knocked the stuffing out of us. Yeah we weren’t great at the back and I suspect we will see Charles out of the team on Tuesday, with Jase going back to CB and Obita in at LB. It was an enjoyable game up until the penalty decision.

• Thought it was a penalty to be honest, clumsy from Fred. I’d want that given if it was against my team.

• Feel for the players. That is quite embarrassing for a professional footballer to concede so many.

The first minute of the game set the tone for our defending, with Rocky making two heroic saves to rescue us. It is shameful really that our keeper had a good game and we still let in 7.

Even at 2-2 I felt pretty deflated by the sinking realisation that despite Ikpeazu’s remarkable impact on the team, we still have almost no chance of staying up due to volume of injuries, bad luck (poor officiating), and lack of quality in reserve.

• Who said before kickoff that they had a bad feeling about today. Psychic.

• Are you serious ?

• Lose 7-2 or 1-0, it's still only three points lost.

Without a left back, plus no Stewart and Taf against the second best team in the League we will always struggle. Throw in a clown of a ref and the writing is on the wall.

• edited January 2021

No one is giving up, but it's a fact that we now need to win 3 games just to reach 23rd place, and we've won 3 all season. We'll all back the boys right till the end but that league table is an awful sight.

• @kiscokid said:
    Are you serious ?

Addressed to; re what?

• @micra said:
    Who said before kickoff that they had a bad feeling about today. Psychic.

I'll have to take the blame for that one for describing the feeling as "ominous".

• @mooneyman said:
    Lose 7-2 or 1-0, it's still only three points lost.

Without a left back, plus no Stewart and Taf against the second best team in the League we will always struggle. Throw in a clown of a ref and the writing is on the wall.

You’re forgetting goal difference. Fairly crucial if we are thinking of staying up.

I wouldn’t write the boys off and the ref did kill the game but the defending and lack of midfield lost us that game. Uncharacteristic to see Thompson play that badly and Dennis just looks unlike the lad that joined us.

• I think McCarthy's performance at Left back today, was one of the worst I've ever seen.
    Truly shocking.

• @micra said:

@kiscokid said:
    Are you serious ?

Addressed to; re what?

Sorry it was the guy who thought it was a penalty. If a player runs across you when you are in possession and looking to pass/clear the ball it really isn’t a penalty .....

• I think we are gone, not because of the gap or the opposition but because we've won three out of 24 and I don't see how we get enough luck, improvement or otherwise to get the wins to close the gap.
    Not asking or expecting players or staff to admit that or stop trying, it's not who they are and they are still being paid. Still lots to play for so we start next season, in whatever division it'll be, in decent form, well organized and not having been smashed senseless every week.

• @Vincey said:
    Thought it was a penalty to be honest, clumsy from Fred. I’d want that given if it was against my team.

He kicked the ball before their man though. I'm astounded it was given.

• @floyd said:
    I’m trying to think of a worse decision given against us. I can’t think of one at the moment.

Maybe not in the same league as Prosser sending Jermaine McSporran off because he bore a vague resemblance to Danny Senda, but very much like Mr M Brandwood (Lichfield) who gave an absolutely scandalous penalty to Scunthorpe in 1994 that cost us automatic promotion.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I think McCarthy's performance at Left back today, was one of the worst I've ever seen.
    Truly shocking.

Unfortunately true

• Where is Trevor?

• I was just typing that I think McCarthy’s performance will be remembered as one of the all time worst. In years to come people will say ‘yeah I know xxxx had a bad game but it wasn’t as bad as McCarthy v Brentford in 2021’. Defensively inept. Set pieces embarrassing.

• If anything this should be the reminder of what happens if we aren't totally focussed and at our best at this level.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    I think we are gone, not because of the gap or the opposition but because we've won three out of 24 and I don't see how we get enough luck, improvement or otherwise to get the wins to close the gap.
    Not asking or expecting players or staff to admit that or stop trying, it's not who they are and they are still being paid. Still lots to play for so we start next season, in whatever division it'll be, in decent form, well organized and not having been smashed senseless every week.

If we started the season again, with everyone we have in the squad now, fully fit, I think we'd have a decent chance of just about staying up.

Having had Tafa and Uche out for half a season, main centre mid injured for the first 5-6 weeks, really was a killer.
    Even when Adeniran came in to massively improve us, he then got injured and hasn't been anything like the same for 2months, seemingly half fit still.

• The Covid lay off has clearly taken it's toll on the side. It's not often we struggle like this in the closing stages of games. That said it was an awful 90 minutes from us defensively, a shame as we looked so good going forwards. Can't imagine many teams have given Brentford as many problems at the back as we did this afternoon.

The ref was awful! One of the worst decisions I've ever seen for the penalty which effectively decided the result if not the scoreline.

Huge game now on Tuesday. I actually feel quite confident. It will be a massive boost to have Taf/Stewart and Obita in the side. We know we're good enough to score goals now.

• @Brownie said:
    No one is giving up, but it's a fact that we now need to win 3 games just to reach 23rd place, and we've won 3 all season. We'll all back the boys right till the end but that league table is an awful sight.

It is and I expect us to be relegated. With that said, we’ll be in good financial shape with sensible owners and a well managed squad capable of being very competitive in league 1. I’m optimistic about a return and I imagine the Couhigs are too. Promotion last year wasn’t in their plans and they were right not to blow the budget this year of all years.

• @kiscokid said:

@micra said:

@kiscokid said:
    Are you serious ?

Addressed to; re what?

Sorry it was the guy who thought it was a penalty. If a player runs across you when you are in possession and looking to pass/clear the ball it really isn’t a penalty .....

That decision lit the fuse, I’m afraid but our defence (and midfield cover of that defence) just weren’t equal to the task.
    We go again, I think they say.

• @mooneyman said:
    Where is Trevor?

Probably admitted to the Minor Injuries Unit with a sprained wrist.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    I think we are gone, not because of the gap or the opposition but because we've won three out of 24 and I don't see how we get enough luck, improvement or otherwise to get the wins to close the gap.

If we started the season again, with everyone we have in the squad now, fully fit, I think we'd have a decent chance of just about staying up.

Having had Tafa and Uche out for half a season, main centre mid injured for the first 5-6 weeks, really was a killer.
    Even when Adeniran came in to massively improve us, he then got injured and hasn't been anything like the same for 2months, seemingly half fit still.

Yup, we needed a bit of luck with refs and injuries, all signings to work out, a few players to surprise us etc to have any chance. We can't play the league table each week anyway, need to get players back, get a bit of form going and then if we have a chance great.

• I've said it before, I'll say it again: we can't rely on Charles, Bloomfield and Bayo to keep us up. We had a month to do something about the strength in depth of the squad. We've done so in one position, at the end of the month, and only after our only left back was injured. If we had played Obita today with McCarthy or Grimmer in central defence we probably wouldn't have conceded seven. But we couldn't because we left it too late. Just like we've left saving the season too late, sadly.

• Pete Couhig said he saw us as a yo-yo club for a few years and while I expect us to put up a decent fight, it looks like the aim is to build a team that can compete at the top of L1 now.

So glad I live in Oxford right now.